Minnesota Golden Gophers 2018 Spring Football Preview

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Athlon:

5 Storylines to Watch During Minnesota's Spring Practice

1. The quarterback situation

It's been a long time since the Gophers have had a playmaker under center. Tanner Morgan and Seth Green are familiar faces on the depth chart, and they know what their head coach expects. They'll compete for the job, but the front-runner looks like former Cal quarterback and top-rated junior college transfer Vic Viramontes. He's a true dual-threat option with a strong arm, deceptive speed and a linebacker's build. From a pure potential standpoint, Viramontes looks like he gives Minnesota the best chance to win. If he can lock up the job in the spring, that will be a huge step in the right direction for the Gophers.

2. Re-shuffled backfield

The Gophers were hoping to feature one of the better running back duos in the Big Ten with Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks (above, right) expected to return. But on Tuesday, Fleck announced that Brooks, who missed half of last season with different injuries, will be out all of 2018 as well after suffering a non-contract leg injury during winter conditioning. Smith will anchor the running game after nearly gaining 1,000 yards on the ground last season, but the rest of the jobs in the backfield are up for grabs. It would be a great development for a reliable second option to emerge in the spring.

3. Playmakers at wide receiver

Tyler Johnson looks like the best receiver to come through Minnesota since Eric Decker. He'll likely emerge as the favorite target once again, but opponents know he's coming in 2018. That's going to require another receiver or two to step up and demand to be accounted for. Phillip Howard is dependable but not quite as dangerous as Johnson. True-freshman Rashod Bateman could get on the field regularly, but he won't be on campus until the fall. Keep an eye on Demetrius Douglas to make the most of his reps this spring.

4. Who steps up on the defensive line?

The Gophers suffered a mass exodus of talent on the defensive front -- especially on the interior. The defensive tackle competition will be wide open, and you can expect it to be a point of emphasis for Fleck and the coaching staff this spring. Gary Moore, Royal Silver, Nate Umlor and Alabama transfer O.J. Smith will all be in the mix. They have some big shoes to fill, especially in the way of replacing the departed Steven Richardson -- one of the better defensive tackles in the Big Ten.

5. The growth of the offensive line

Minnesota can have all of the playmakers in the world on offense, but unless the offensive line makes significant strides during spring practice and fall camp, it won't matter. Injuries ravaged this unit last season. The silver lining was more playing time for some younger guys, and the end result is a healthy, somewhat experienced position group heading into the spring. Keep an eye on a couple of freshmen from IMG Academy in Florida as well. Australia native Daniel Faalele and high school teammate Curtis Dunlap Jr. combine to tip the scales at around 770 pounds. They could be wild cards.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/minnesota-golden-gophers-2018-spring-football-preview

Go Gophers!!

Pretty fair write-up. Can't argue with any of it.

Well, maybe the "mass exodus of talent" line about the DL. They lost Richardson, Merrick Jackson and Stelter. One really good player and two adequate players. I don't know if that qualifies as a mass exodus of talent.

there, I found something to argue with.

Agree...pretty balanced. I expect better production from QB and WR positions. Gophs should be equal to or better in most other areas compared to last year. Just win.

I find it odd that redshirt freshmen Malcolm Robinson is rarely mentioned whenever the media discusses the interior defensive line.

So, pretty much every position group is in flux with few proven playmakers. I see a lot more question marks year vs last, but on the positive side of the ledger there is also the promise of talent. Chris Autman-Bell, or Bateman, or somebody needs to have speed because TJ either doesn’t have burner-type speed or he was hurt last year.

We will need someone to step up at RB, TE. The offensive line needs to evolve. Defensive line...wow I hope we don’t miss Richardson and underrated M. Jackson but think we will. DE is in flux. The secondary needs to find some playmakers other than Winfield. The LBs need to be better (and they should be).

This is going to be a really interesting year up and down the roster. Some new stars will emerge.

Top Bottom