BTN on BT West QBs: (MN: "This has been a problem spot for years.")

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per BTN:

Minnesota: This has been a problem spot for years. And P.J. Fleck knows he has to get it fixed. Demry Croft opted to transfer to Tennessee State. Conor Rhoda has graduated. No big losses. How anemic was the aerial game in 2017? Minnesota had just nine TD passes and ranked 122nd in the nation in passing. Vic Viramontes may be the elixir. He was the nation’s top ranked dual-threat JC quarterback. He has three years of eligibility and already is on campus. Viramontes is an intriguing prospect who was at Cal for a year before transferring to a JC. He may end up being the guy taking snaps in Dinkytown. Redshirt freshman Tanner Morgan and sophomore Seth Green also are in the mix along with early enrollee freshman Zack Annexstad. This battle will be waged into fall camp.

http://btn.com/2018/03/09/2018-big-ten-football-assessing-the-west-division-quarterbacks/

Go Gophers!!

Ya don't say....

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Story time:

Bill Parcels I think it was, he was doing some interviews for preseason in the NFL. The local media was just hammering him on finding a QB. He eventually semi broke down and went on to a great rant that was something like

No **** we need a quarterback, almost every team is looking for a quarterback, some teams have been looking for a quarterback for 20 ****ing years!

It's football... almost everyone is looking for a quarterback.

Also I don't think Mitch was "bad"..... fight me irl.

Story time:

Bill Parcels I think it was, he was doing some interviews for preseason in the NFL. The local media was just hammering him on finding a QB. He eventually semi broke down and went on to a great rant that was something like

No **** we need a quarterback, almost every team is looking for a quarterback, some teams have been looking for a quarterback for 20 ****ing years!

It's football... almost everyone is looking for a quarterback.

Also I don't think Mitch was "bad"..... fight me irl.

Mitch brought an awful lot to the table, and with the way things went last year, I wish he were still here.... I'd love to have him and Vic on the roster at the same time.

We have had some OK QB's who have had their moments, but there is no doubt that it has been a trouble spot. I'm still waiting for a QB to lead us to a great comeback victory in a game that we all knew was lost. Billy Cockerham did it in the late '90's vs. Michigan State. Did he also lead us to a big victory at Penn St by throwing a great wheel route TD to Thomas Hamner? I can't think of any other QB before him or since that has led us to a great comeback win (Craig Curry is that first QB I remember while listening to games on WCCO). I remain hopeful.

We have had some OK QB's who have had their moments, but there is no doubt that it has been a trouble spot. I'm still waiting for a QB to lead us to a great comeback victory in a game that we all knew was lost. Billy Cockerham did it in the late '90's vs. Michigan State. Did he also lead us to a big victory at Penn St by throwing a great wheel route TD to Thomas Hamner? I can't think of any other QB before him or since that has led us to a great comeback win (Craig Curry is that first QB I remember while listening to games on WCCO). I remain hopeful.
How about Leidner 2014 vs Nebraska?

Or when Adam Weber threw for 5 touchdowns without Decker to beat Kirk Cousin's Spartans on Halloween night

Or when Asad Abdul-Khaliq drove us down the field...oh wait

I would say the Gophers have had adequate QB's - but other aspects of the team were lacking.

If you have a really good Defense, special teams and running game, you can win with an adequate QB. If you are lacking in one or more of those areas, then you need a good-to-great QB to win. (see: Green Bay, Wisconsin)

BTN with another firm grasp of the obvious...

Mitch brought an awful lot to the table, and with the way things went last year, I wish he were still here.... I'd love to have him and Vic on the roster at the same time.

I was a Leidner fan, he wasn't always pretty, but was effective at running the offense. Some people will only be happy if Drew Brees is back there (which I'd love)

How about Leidner 2014 vs Nebraska?

As for Leidner and Adam Weber's heroics, they were great. But I think that we were "in" those two games throughout.

A good WR and OL corps can make many avg to bad QBs look good to above average, which is why so many flame out when the competition level evens up in college or the pros and they’re under pressure, their WRs aren’t wide open, and defenses are more confusing.

Like the coach the QB often gets outsized blame or credit for the team being bad or good. Team game.

As for Leidner and Adam Weber's heroics, they were great. But I think that we were "in" those two games throughout.

We were down 21-7 at halftime.

Last season I learned the true meaning of be careful what you wish for. Leidner looked like f’n Tom Brady in comparison to Demry Croft.

We were down 21-7 at halftime.

You are correct, it was 21-7. But I never thought that we were out of the game. We had that field goal blocked and returned for a TD just before the half. Had we made the field goal it was 14-10, which I think more accurately reflects how the game was being played than 21-7 does. But, as you report, it was 21-7, and maybe I should give Mitch more credit for that win. But I still don't see it as a great comeback. Don't get me wrong, it was awesome. What that game did show me was that Kill had improved us enough so that we could recover from a disastrous play that resulted a 10 point swing. We finally had a little margin for error. Man do I wish that things had worked out for Kill...but that didn't happen, go gettem PJ!

Last season I learned the true meaning of be careful what you wish for. Leidner looked like f’n Tom Brady in comparison to Demry Croft.

I'm still amazed by all the "oh man now that Mitch is gone... " attitudes.

I'm still amazed by all the "oh man now that Mitch is gone... " attitudes.

I don’t necessarily get that either. But it also needs to be remembered that someone’s backup being awful does not make that person a good football player.

I don’t necessarily get that either. But it also needs to be remembered that someone’s backup being awful does not make that person a good football player.

Eh, it's really nothing more than an after the fact comparison, 2015-2016 vs 2017. There was always complaining about Mitch, without knowing that things could actually be.... less good (worse)....

Eh, it's really nothing more than an after the fact comparison, 2015-2016 vs 2017. There was always complaining about Mitch, without knowing that things could actually be.... less good (worse)....

If there is one thing i’ve learned from Gopher football over the years, it’s that no matter how bad the starter might be, the backup is worse...

If there is one thing i’ve learned from Gopher football over the years, it’s that no matter how bad the starter might be, the backup is worse...
It's almost as if the coaches watch them practice and put the best player on the field.

This is like saying the clap is better than herpes. I guess? Both would have been better with better talent around them. Ceiling unknown with D.C.

One has to believe that PJ being an offensive-minded coach will put more talent on that side of the ball and return the offense to respectability. Demetrius Douglas for example was heavily recruited as a DB (where I wish he'd stayed) but PJ put him on offense. One has to believe the offense will look incrementally better but unproven questions at every position.

I really think this problem spot is solved and will improve in coming years. It appears Seth has bought in and that tells me we have 4 solid prospects. Fleck's dog house is a bad place to live.

It's almost as if the coaches watch them practice and put the best player on the field.

One of the best comments so far. I always wonder when posters speculate on players or demand that player X plays if said poster has actually watched the player perform in practice settings before demanding that player gets onto the field. The coaches get to see the players in practice and watch film obsessively to tease out who’s got the goods.

One of the best comments so far. I always wonder when posters speculate on players or demand that player X plays if said poster has actually watched the player perform in practice settings before demanding that player gets onto the field. The coaches get to see the players in practice and watch film obsessively to tease out who’s got the goods.

Normally that’s probably true but it seems there is an element of adherence to the culture bullet points, as well as if PJ likes a player or not. For example, QBs should be vocal, but freshmen OL need to keep their mouths shut. It’s probably all a little confusing when players first arrive. Then, assuming the first two points are met performance in games and to a lesser extent practice will influence player time. To further muddy the waters I’m still confused about the ball is the program. We had two QBs that failed to fall on fumbles last year yet they both continued to play (one was initially sat for 3 quarters). Why didn’t we se Green off the bench? I dunno.

Actually not too confusing. Starts with culture of personal accountability and before the fumbles some players were not demonstrating what was required on the culture side, that was compounded by on the field errors. When the public is able to attend practices go check out the QBs and that may give you insight into how they are performing. I dunno either until I get a chance to see them practice and scrimmage.

I really think this problem spot is solved and will improve in coming years. It appears Seth has bought in and that tells me we have 4 solid prospects. Fleck's dog house is a bad place to live.

...and Seth is likely the worst of the bunch and will rarely if ever see the field.

Top Bottom