Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by tripledouble View Post
    Well, if Bueckers is going to subscribe to the "they really need me" storyline, maybe she'll play for the Badgers. If she decides to play for UConn, it's a safe bet to say that Geno will already have some point guards in the pipeline.
    C’mon, I think you know what I mean.
    Being the hometown team: Advantage Gophers ☑️
    Having a NCAA-worthy team: (hopefully) Advantage Gophers ☑️
    New practice facility: Advantage Gophers ☑️
    Feeling of family hanging with the team: Advantage Gophers ☑️
    Being overloaded at PG: Hope it won’t be the deal breaker ��

Are there any more positive or negative check points?

Well, in the off chance that Bueckers ever decided to play for the Gophers, I'm guessing that she won't have to worry about who the current point guard is. I would imagine that she'd step into the starting spot immediately. But I wouldn't print her name in the game programs just yet...with some of the offers she already has, she'll be able to go anywhere she wants. It would however be nice for the Gophers to get a marquee player of her talents to take this program to another level.

https://www.southgatech.edu/athletic...al-tournament/

The victorious Lady Jets face Casper College on Monday the 19th at 4:00 PM in the first round of the NJCAA championship in Lubbock.

Recap of Saturday's win:

Coach Frey and the Lady Jets made the long drive from Americus, GA, to Spartanburg, SC over the weekend and managed to secure the 69 – 42 District J Championship victory Saturday. Freshman guard Alyssa Nieves from Tampa, FL came off the bench to lead the Lady Jets in scoring with 18 points. Nieves had four three-pointers and was seven of 14 overall.

She and GCAA Player of the Year, Esther “Nike” Adenike, a sophomore forward from Lagos, Nigeria, were the only two Lady Jets in double-figures. Nike had 10 points and 15 rebounds. Freshman forward Ricka Jackson from Ewa Beach, HI and Kayla Holmes, a sophomore guard from Stone Mountain, both added nine points. Jackson had five rebounds, five assists and two steals. Holmes also had two rebounds, two assists and one steal.

Sophomore guard Dakata Toney added eight points and then sophomore forward Houlfat Mahouchiza scored seven points and had six rebounds and two assists. Bigue Sarr, freshman center from Kaolack, Senegal, tossed in five points, Cedeja James had two points and Sceret Ethridge closed out the scoring with one point.

“We felt like if we could take advantage of Spartanburg inside we had a good shot,” said Coach Frey. “To Spartanburg’s credit, they stayed in a zone most of the day and forced us to make shots from the perimeter. For the first time in a month, we were able to do that.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-...00d753042.html

Kirkwood and Jaidah Stewart defeat Liberty and move on to the class five final versus Kickapoo.

An air of irritation lingered in the postgame press conference for the Kirkwood High girls basketball team Thursday.

It didn't have anything to do with missed assignments or poor shooting by the Pioneers, who beat Liberty of Kansas City 51-29 in a Class 5 state semifinal at JQH Arena to move within one victory of repeating as state champion.

It was all about chicken wings, much to Pioneers coach Monica Tritz's irritation.

“Obviously, I told them they could have Hooters but I don't remember saying that,” Tritz said. “I don't care, if they want Hooters, I said we'd get Hooters.”

“Coach, you did,” senior guard Jayla Everett interjected.

“That's fine,” Tritz said. “We're going to have pizza and we're going to have Hooters because some people don't want wings, some people want pizza.”...

Everett scored a game-high 16 points and fellow senior Jaidah Stewart added 14 points and nine rebounds as the Pioneers advanced to their third consecutive Class 5 title game.

Kirkwood (27-3, No. 4 in the STLhighschoolsports.com large-schools rankings) plays Kickapoo (28-3) at 2:40 p.m. Saturday in a rematch of the 2016 championship won by Kickapoo.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-...3879b6519.html

Jaidah Stewart leads Kirkwood to class 5 title.

That motivation did the trick as the Pioneers got even with a resounding 67-50 win over Kickapoo in the Class 5 title game at JHQ Arena on the campus of Missouri State University.

Kirkwood (28-3) claimed its second successive state championship with a strong all-around effort from start to finish...

Senior guard Jaidah Stewart led the way with 22 points and seven rebounds, both team highs. Natalie Bruns chipped in with 12 points and six blocks.

...Kirkwood exploded with a 20-point outburst the second period to stretch the lead to 30-17. Stewart hit back-to-back 3-pointers to highlight the run. She also added a nifty back-door layup near the end of the first half.

“She was hot,” Kirkwood coach Monica Tritz said of Stewart. "Today was definitely a great day for her to shoot well."

The Pioneers pushed the lead to as many as 27 points in the second half before coasting home.

I'm not good at judging talent compared to the outstate players. I can't but notice that many of the girls in the MN State Basketball tournament aren't going to the U. Are they shunning us or are they simply not good enough?

We are not recruiting them!!

I watched a lot of the Minnesota State High School girls tourney. Although there were some DI prospects, most of the upperclassmen were not BIG quality. Some very intriguing underclassmen though. Beuckers is obviously the crowned jewel from that group. Hopkins' Battle is only an 8th grader and she'll be interesting to watch as she progresses. I thought sophomore Jensen of Lakeville North is worth watching as she progresses, as is frosh Carson of Eastview. The sisters from Roseau are terrific players but size may be a bit of a problem with them in the BIG. Same goes for soph Peschel of Sauk Centre. Unfortunately, height can be a major factor in recruiting players for the next level. I think Giebert of Eastview has already committed to play with SDSU, where her sister is. Lots of talent on the floor, especially in the 4A game, but again not a lot of upperclass power conference prospects that the Gophers should be going after.

Houlfat Mahouchiza and the Lady Jets defeated Casper in the first round of the NJCAA tournament 77-65 in OT. Mahouchiza converted a steal into a layup and subsequent foul shot to tying the game at 60 with 14 seconds remaining forcing overtime. Mahouchiza played 25 minutes with 9 points and 5 rebounds.

https://www.southgatech.edu/athletic...aa-tournament/

Game story from the Lady Jets win. I didn't point out that Mahouchiza's playing time was limited, as usual, by foul trouble. SGTC plays Seward Community College (Liberal, Kansas) today.

Lubbock, Texas- The South Georgia Technical College Lady Jets upset the 10th seeded Casper College Thunderbirds 77 – 65 in overtime in the first round of the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Division I Women’s National Basketball Tournament in Lubbock, Texas, Monday.

“I am so proud of this team,” said South Georgia Technical College Athletic Director and Lady Jets head coach James Frey. “I kept telling them that we were the best 23rd seeded team ever in the national tournament and that we had the opportunity to come out here and do some things that no other 23rd seeded team had ever done.”

The Lady Jets believed their Coach and despite trailing 34 – 24 at the end of the first half, South Georgia Tech overcame that 10-point deficit and pulled off an outstanding 77 – 65 victory in overtime. “That is a 22-point swing in 25-minutes and that is hard to do especially against a 10th seeded team in the NJCAA National Tournament,” said Coach Frey.

Casper College entered the tournament with a 31 – 2 record and had a 21-game winning streak prior to the loss to the Lady Jets. The Lady Jets are now 29 – 5 overall and will advance to the Sweet Sixteen round where they will meet the seventh ranked Seward County Lady Knights at 9 p.m. EDT. The Lady Knights are 30 – 3. The game will be broadcast live on WISK-FM 98.7.

SGTC sophomore forward Houlfat Mahouchiza from Nice, France, made an old-fashioned three-point play in the final seconds of regulation to tie the game at 60 – 60. She went in for a lay-up and was fouled. The basket counted and then she sank the free throw to tie the game and force it into overtime.

Houlfat finished the game with nine points, five rebounds, and two assists. She got into foul trouble early in the game and only saw 25 minutes of playing time in the 45-minute contest.

Quote Originally Posted by samloupete View Post
    We are not recruiting them!!
    Didn't realize that they weren't good enough. I know in other sports its always leaves a black mark on the program when someone chooses to go elsewhere. In this case when they have chosen to go elsewhere and a guy like me looks at the signings, I think we aren't getting them and wonder what is going on.

https://www.southgatech.edu/athletic...al-tournament/

Houlfat Mahouchiza's season ends with the Lady Jets loss to Seward County:

Lubbock, Texas- The South Georgia Technical College Lady Jets overcame a 12-point half-time deficit against the seventh ranked Seward County Community College Lady Saints to pull ahead 81 – 79 with 2:17 seconds remaining in the last game of the Sweet Sixteen round in the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Division I Women’s National Basketball Tournament in Lubbock, Texas, Tuesday. But Seward College held the Lady Jets scoreless in the final two minutes and captured the 88 – 81 victory.

“We had the opportunity to pull this out,” said South Georgia Technical College Athletic Director and Lady Jets head coach James Frey. “I am so proud of these girls for not giving up. They gave 100% effort and showed a lot of people that we were much better than a 23rd seed in this tournament.”

Seward County Community College is the best women’s three point shooting team in the NJCAA across all divisions and they certainly lived up to that billing by hitting 17 of 34 attempts from the three-point line. Twelve of those 17 three-pointers came in the first half. They were successful on 54.5% of their three point attempts in the first half and ended the game shooting 50%.

Sophomore forward Houfat Mahouchize scored 15 points and had four rebounds.

Now that we have a coach, we can return a little focus to the players.

Lesila Finau's senior mixtape.

Blog Entries

Does 247SPorts or any of the recruiting sites cover Women's Basketball?
    Welcome to Badger Road Kill Country!

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius L Hoops View Post

Now that we have a coach, we can return a little focus to the players.

Lesila Finau's senior mixtape.
    I'm impressed at how she can finish at the rim, that's the thing that stands out the most. She looks like she gets a little wild/careless at times with the ball though. Looks good though.