Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Update on the 2018 Recruits:

Jaidah Stewart, Kirkwood High School:

Kirkwood advances following a 49-40 win over Oakville

http://www.southcountytimes.com/Arti...terfinals.html

Kirkwood, the defending Class 5 girls state champions, will face Francis Howell Central in the state quarterfinals at 6 p.m. on Saturday, March 10, at the Hyland Arena on the campus of Lindenwood University...

...In the third quarter, Everett provided two nifty passes to fellow senior guard Jaidah Stewart, who converted them into layups. Stewart, a Minnesota signee, finished with 10 points. Everett tallied 12 of her points in the first half in helping the Pioneers take a 25-20 halftime lead.

Houlfat Mahouchiza, South Georgia Technical College

Mahouchiza's stats: 31 games played with 28 starts. 17.8 minutes/game, 11.1 points/game, 8.3 rebounds/game, 3.2 fouls/game and 82.6% free throw percentage.

The Lady Jets advanced after winning the NJCAA Region XVII title. (The championship game was a 2-0 forfeit because Central Georgia had only four eligible players at game time).

https://www.southgatech.edu/athletic...ii-tournament/

The nationally ranked South Georgia Technical College Lady Jets captured their second consecutive National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Division I women’s basketball title and are now only one game away from earning their fifth trip to the NJCAA Division I women’s basketball National Tournament. They Lady Jets are now 27 – 5 overall and 17 – 1 in conference play.

The Lady Jets defeated the East Georgia State College Lady Bobcats in a hard-fought 61 – 52 decision in the semi-final round of the NJCAA Region XVII end of the season tournament. The Lady Jets then took a 2 – 0 victory over Central Georgia Technical College in the championship game when Central Georgia Tech forfeited. Central Georgia Tech defeated Georgia Highlands 78 – 74 with only four eligible players in their semi-final match-up. A team cannot start a game with four players so Central Georgia Tech was forced to forfeit the championship game to South Georgia Tech.

South Georgia Technical College’s Lady Jets will travel to Spartanburg, South Carolina to face Spartanburg Methodist College on Saturday, March 10th at 2 p.m. in the NJCAA District J Championship.

The Lady Jets were able to advance the District J tournament with the help of GCAA Player of the Year Esther Adenike from Lagos, Nigeria. She had 20 points and nine rebounds to lead her team from a come-from behind victory against East Georgia State College in the NJCAA Region XVII tournament. Freshman shooting forward Ricka Jackson was the only other Lady Jet in double-figures and she had 17 points and five rebounds.

Sophomore forward Houlfat Mahouchiza contributed nine points and two rebounds, sophomore guard Dakata Toney added five points and then freshman guard Aubrey Maulden had three points. Kayla Holmes, Cedeja James, and Secret Ethridge each scored two points and Bigue Sarr closed out the scoring with one point.

Delaynie Bryne, Ralston Valley

Ralston Valley were knocked out of the tournament by rival Lakewood 61-37. Bryne was held scoreless. Ralston Valley got to the Great Eight by defeating Chatfield 65-28. Byrne scored 22 against Chatfield.

Byrne's season stats: 23 games, 19 points per game and 7.4 rebounds.

In mid-February Ralston Valley suspended four starters for, I think, one game. I don't know if Bryne was one of the players suspended but Bryne did not play in the game immediately following the suspensions. I wasn't interested enough in the details to subscribe to the Denver Post.

http://chsaanow.com/2018-03-02/lakew...hoops-final-4/

The No. 2-seeded and last year’s 5A state runner-up sprinted out to a 15-0 lead in the opening minutes in the girls basketball state quarterfinal game and never let off the gas. The Tigers (23-3 record) ended up with a 61-37 victory.

"They are surpassing my expectations," Lakewood coach Chris Poisson said after the 24-point victory. "It's nuts what they are doing."

Friday’s all-Jeffco state quarterfinal was the third time Lakewood and Ralston Valley had met this season. The Mustangs won the first go-around 59-45 in the 5A Jeffco League opener on Jan. 4. The Tigers got revenge Jan. 26 with a 50-44 win at Ralston Valley.

Lesila Finau, Dublin

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2018/03...foothill-high/

Dublin High won their home California Interscholastic Federation State Girls Basketball Championships Division III playoff game 62-57 against Sacramento’s Foothill High in Dublin on Wednesday, March 7, 2018. The Gaels top scorers were Lesila Finau with 22 points and Mele Finau with 10 points.

Dublin will next travel to Sacramento to play Christian Brothers High School on Saturday, March 10, at 6:00 p.m

From a few weeks back:

https://www.calhisports.com/2018/02/...of-the-week-5/

Cal-Hi Sports Northern California
    Girls Player of the Week
    Lesila Finau
    (Dublin) Sr.

For the first time this season, we go to the CIF North Coast Section East Bay area for our girls award winner and land just southwest of majestic Mt. Diablo where we find this 5-foot-10 senior wing.

Dublin isn’t a big school state power, but until Lesila or “Sila” as she’s known came to town they weren’t even on the radar screen. Now, with Sila leading the charge, the Gaels are 23-3 and 11-1 in the always tough East Bay Athletic League – Valley division and poised to snag a high seed in the upcoming NCS Division I playoffs beginning next week.

Last week, and even in her first game this week, Sila was the real deal. In an 81-48 victory over Livermore, the Minnesota-bound Finau had a double-double 34 points and 13 rebounds with five assists and four steals. She came back against Livermore Granada with another double-double after finishing with 29 points and 12 rebounds with five steals and three assists.

This week Sila helped the Gaels win their fifth straight since a loss to state-ranked Carondelet (Concord) with another double-double after scoring 27 points and grabbing 11 rebounds in a win over Dougherty Valley. On the season, Finau is averaging 21.3 points, 6.7 rebounds, 5.1 steals and 4.9 assists per game.

A bright spot for Dublin fans is her little sister, 5-foot-10 junior wing Mele Finau, has one more year left as a Gael. She’s currently averaging 9.8 points and 5.1 rebounds per game.

Thanks, Iggy. Really difficult to tell what the Gophers are getting with next year's class. Although the stat line for Finau looks intriguing. I find it curious that Byrne was held scoreless in her final game, while averaging 19 points per game for the season. Either way, it's difficult to determine if next year's frosh will be able to contribute immediately. I only hope that soon after the season you'll be providing us with the stat line for a grad transfer post or power forward. I'm thinking that next year's Gopher team will again have a good chance to make the NCAA tourney, even without adding anyone, however it would be a lot easier if one of the frosh or a grad student transfer can contribute immediately. Even if Stollings can't get a grad transfer post, she has a scholarship in her pocket that she could give to a power forward, or even another top quality shooting guard. If not, will Brunson be replacing Wagner in the starting lineup and will Bello be the starting post? We didn't get to see a lot of Gonzalez, the guard from Spain who left the team early in the season, however from what I saw in just a few games, she might have been able to fill the open guard slot, as it seems she had a variety of talents. Brunson, certainly has the speed to fit into the Gophers up-tempo offense, but I don't know if she'll be able to be a regular offensive contributor. We've seen her shoot and make an occasional 3 and we've seen her drive to the hoop on occasion, but at least in the bench role she played this year, she seemed to be somewhat hesitant on offense. Who knows...that might change if she is inserted into the starting lineup. And Bello, I think she could have a breakout year next year, either at the post or as a forward.

Lesila Finau video from early December.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius L Hoops View Post
    Delaynie Bryne, Ralston Valley

Ralston Valley were knocked out of the tournament by rival Lakewood 61-37. Bryne was held scoreless. Ralston Valley got to the Great Eight by defeating Chatfield 65-28. Byrne scored 22 against Chatfield.

Byrne's season stats: 23 games, 19 points per game and 7.4 rebounds.

In mid-February Ralston Valley suspended four starters for, I think, one game. I don't know if Bryne was one of the players suspended but Bryne did not play in the game immediately following the suspensions. I wasn't interested enough in the details to subscribe to the Denver Post.

http://chsaanow.com/2018-03-02/lakew...hoops-final-4/

The No. 2-seeded and last year’s 5A state runner-up sprinted out to a 15-0 lead in the opening minutes in the girls basketball state quarterfinal game and never let off the gas. The Tigers (23-3 record) ended up with a 61-37 victory.

"They are surpassing my expectations," Lakewood coach Chris Poisson said after the 24-point victory. "It's nuts what they are doing."

Friday’s all-Jeffco state quarterfinal was the third time Lakewood and Ralston Valley had met this season. The Mustangs won the first go-around 59-45 in the 5A Jeffco League opener on Jan. 4. The Tigers got revenge Jan. 26 with a 50-44 win at Ralston Valley.

I was able to get the story without any cost. Try this: https://www.denverpost.com/2018/02/1...r-castle-view/

It adds more context but it isn't completely clear who did what, but it does imply Delaynie was both suspended and injured and as a result missed 4 games. I sure hope IF she was involved she discovers some empathy and learns to treat others better going forward. I don't want a bully on the gophers no matter how good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnor View Post
    I was able to get the story without any cost. Try this: https://www.denverpost.com/2018/02/1...r-castle-view/

It adds more context but it isn't completely clear who did what, but it does imply Delaynie was both suspended and injured and as a result missed 4 games. I sure hope IF she was involved she discovers some empathy and learns to treat others better going forward. I don't want a bully on the gophers no matter how good.
    Thanks. The paywall still popped up but not before I gave the article a quick skim. I don't have a reaction one way or the other.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-...d0ece9047.html

Jaidah Stewart's Kirkwood team won it's quarterfinal 52-39 over Francis Howell Central and advances to Thursday's semi-final. They also got some pregame advice from Chauncey Billups. Yes, the article confused who has signed with whom. Everett is not a Minnesota signee.

High school girls basketball players don't often get to meet an NBA all-star, especially right before one of the biggest games of their season.

So when Kirkwood senior guard and Minnesota signee Jayla Everett and her teammates got the chance to interact with former NBA all-star guard Chauncey Billups, she took his words to heart.

“He talked to us about preparing for each game and taking advantage of it,” Everett said. “I feel we went out and took advantage of our chance tonight.”

Stewart got the chance to enjoy a special moment in the fourth quarter as a pair of free throws with just more than a minute left gave her 2,000 for her career between her time at Webster Groves and Kirkwood.

“It's just a great accomplishment for my high school career because not too many people can say they've done that in their time,” Stewart said. “I'm excited. I'm happy for it. I am really glad we got the win, though, because it's my first tie going to state.”

Stewart led Kirkwood with 21 points and 10 rebounds. Everett added 18 points and sophomore forward Natalie Bruns pitched in 10.

Houlfat Mahouchiza's season continues following a 62-42 win in the District J Championship at Spartanburg Methodist. There is a box score but it does not include minutes played. Mahouchiza scored 7 points on 2-4 shooting (1-1 from three and 2-2 from the line). She had 6 rebounds and committed 4 fouls.

http://njcaa.org/sports/wbkb/2017-18...?view=boxscore

Lesila Finau's season ended with a 43-38 loss to Sacramento's Christian Brothers in the CIF State Girls Basketball Tournament. I have not found a box score.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius L Hoops View Post
    Lesila Finau video from early December.
    Not sure why we needed another topic on 2018 recruits. The last one had gotten too muddy? Anyway, that was some nice footage on Finau. Has a bit of flash to her game.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades View Post
    Not sure why we needed another topic on 2018 recruits. The last one had gotten too muddy? Anyway, that was some nice footage on Finau. Has a bit of flash to her game.
    You're right, this should be combined with the 2018 recruiting thread. I totally missed it the other night.

I’m worried that having so many PG’s might work against the Gophers in the slight chance that Bueckers is looking at the Gophers. Kinda takes away that “they really need me” angle.

Well, if Bueckers is going to subscribe to the "they really need me" storyline, maybe she'll play for the Badgers. If she decides to play for UConn, it's a safe bet to say that Geno will already have some point guards in the pipeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades View Post
    I’m worried that having so many PG’s might work against the Gophers in the slight chance that Bueckers is looking at the Gophers. Kinda takes away that “they really need me” angle.
    No they really need her. Far as I’m concerned there can be more player’s banners hanging from Williams Arena