All Things MN Basketball State Tourney Thread

I was most impressed with Oturu's passing out of the double-team. He had 5 assists for the game - 2nd on his team.

Outside of dunks, his offensive game needs some work, and he needs to get bigger and stronger. But he showed good patience on defense - didn't bite at the first head fake. So a lot of positives.

By the way, I invented a new drinking game. take a drink every time Dave Lee talks about how great the student sections are. You should make it though one half of one game before you're hammered.

I know. MVP of the tourney and probably mr Basketball to.many people. Shouldn't have been a T. He should have made all tourney and was the MVP of the tourney. Glad the Jones family is finally gone and the media can stop kissing their asses all day. Jon K, doogie... barf!!!

I couldn’t agree more. Duke sucks and I’m glad we don’t have to keep hearing about the Jones’s. Tre showed tonight that he is an amazing player, and I’m sure he will fit right in with all those elitist 5-Star guys on the Duke team. I’m just glad that there are still some guys out there that care about their home state, home fans, and home friends to stick around and play for the Gophers. Three cheers for Oturu, Gabe and Jarvis. How sweet it would be to repeat tonight’s scene one day, except it be the Gophers beating Duke to go to the Final Four!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn’t agree more. Duke sucks and I’m glad we don’t have to keep hearing about the Jones’s. Tre showed tonight that he is an amazing player, and I’m sure he will fit right in with all those elitist 5-Star guys on the Duke team. I’m just glad that there are still some guys out there that care about their home state, home fans, and home friends to stick around and play for the Gophers. Three cheers for Oturu, Gabe and Jarvis. How sweet it would be to repeat tonight’s scene one day, except it be the Gophers beating Duke to go to the Final Four!

Just because a player decides that another school may be best for them does not mean they don't care about their home state, at the end of the day they have to decide what is best for them. Duke brought Tyus a national title and made him millions in the NBA, you really think the Jones family is in the wrong for trying that same route again? I can tell you for a fact that the Jones family loves Minnesota, I can also tell you for a fact Brad Davison also loves his home state. Instead of blaming the kids, maybe blame the U for not giving these kids a good enough reason to commit here. I mean who was the last player the program put in the NBA? When you got NBA talent and a shot at millions of dollars your not gonna risk it all just because they are the "hometown school".

Sadly I had a commitment that kept me from watching the best game of the tournament. Sounds like it was an instant classic.
I don't begrudge anyone for choosing their own path and chasing their dreams. I will be watching Oturu climb the steps to the elevated floor at Williams Arena. It will be fun. I don't watch Duke, but I am sure Trae will enjoy his year in North Carolina.

Dave Lee thinks he is doing a radio broadcast. He has to tell us if the ball went through the basket. He only needs to tell us who the pass is to and who scored or who got the assist or the rebound. We don't need to know it was a nice pass or a good shot. And Lynch cannot shut up. He has to prattle on and on. I have to mute them after a few minutes. I long for the days of Dick Enroth, Ray, Halsey Hall and Frankie Beutel. Leah nd Lynch need to learn to shut up and let us watch the gamel. If we were in the stands we wouldn't have soeone yammering at us and we an enjoy the game just fine. Oturo not being All State is a joke.

Just because a player decides that another school may be best for them does not mean they don't care about their home state, at the end of the day they have to decide what is best for them. Duke brought Tyus a national title and made him millions in the NBA, you really think the Jones family is in the wrong for trying that same route again? I can tell you for a fact that the Jones family loves Minnesota, I can also tell you for a fact Brad Davison also loves his home state. Instead of blaming the kids, maybe blame the U for not giving these kids a good enough reason to commit here. I mean who was the last player the program put in the NBA? When you got NBA talent and a shot at millions of dollars your not gonna risk it all just because they are the "hometown school".

I agree completely with the first sentence.

With that said...Tre Jones or any player from MN that decides to go elsewhere does not get to have their cake and eat it too. Every decision has pros and cons, Tre going to Duke gives him the ability to play for a legendary coach at a legendary program but the "cost" of that decsion is that hometown people are justifiably going to hold some disdain for Tre, especially when his team is playing a team that happens to have a player who could have gone to Kansas but instead decided to stay home and try to build something special here.

I personally think the NBA stuff gets overblown...if you have talent to play in the NBA, you will play in the NBA. Its not like pro scouts are only watching Duke. Teams spend millions of dollars every year to scour the entire country finding players who can play professinally. It is absurd to act like Tre wouldn't make the NBA if he stayed home vs. going to Duke.

Overall, Tre seems like a nice kid so I wish him personal sucess and hope he makes it to the pros and has a good career. As for Duke next year, I hope they have an awful year and I hope the Gophers have a great year and I hope the young men who stayed home are an integral part in that sucess.

I know. MVP of the tourney and probably mr Basketball to.many people. Shouldn't have been a T. He should have made all tourney and was the MVP of the tourney. Glad the Jones family is finally gone and the media can stop kissing their asses all day. Jon K, doogie... barf!!!

Oh no, not gone. We still get to hear Jim Peterson drool over Tyus.

With that said...Tre Jones or any player from MN that decides to go elsewhere does not get to have their cake and eat it too. Every decision has pros and cons, Tre going to Duke gives him the ability to play for a legendary coach at a legendary program but the "cost" of that decsion is that hometown people are justifiably going to hold some disdain for Tre, especially when his team is playing a team that happens to have a player who could have gone to Kansas but instead decided to stay home and try to build something special here.

I personally think the NBA stuff gets overblown...if you have talent to play in the NBA, you will play in the NBA. Its not like pro scouts are only watching Duke. Teams spend millions of dollars every year to scour the entire country finding players who can play professinally. It is absurd to act like Tre wouldn't make the NBA if he stayed home vs. going to Duke.

Overall, Tre seems like a nice kid so I wish him personal sucess and hope he makes it to the pros and has a good career. As for Duke next year, I hope they have an awful year and I hope the Gophers have a great year and I hope the young men who stayed home are an integral part in that sucess.

Well said.

+1

Probably should have a been a T. The penalty of being left off the All Tourney team was too severe given the context. He was defending himself after being clubbed three times. If the bureaucrats didn't see that or ignored it, shame on them. I thought the politics of college sports was bad. It must be horrible in high school. I have no idea about Daniel's reputation as a player beyond skill, but any objective observer would understand why he pushed back after getting hammered. Really brutal decision by the faceless committee.

The ballots for all-tournament team are collected early in the 2nd half. I wasn't able to watch the game either, but this is hardly the first time second-half heroics have gone unrewarded.

Probably should have a been a T. The penalty of being left off the All Tourney team was too severe given the context. He was defending himself after being clubbed three times. If the bureaucrats didn't see that or ignored it, shame on them. I thought the politics of college sports was bad. It must be horrible in high school. I have no idea about Daniel's reputation as a player beyond skill, but any objective observer would understand why he pushed back after getting hammered. Really brutal decision by the faceless committee.

True....and it probably cost oturo the 5% chance of winning Mr basketball to which was decided on back in November to he tre Jones no matter what...yuck.

Thank you Tre Jones for two of the most enjoyable high school basketball tournaments I have watched, great basketball player and better competitor. He is obviously Mr Basketball this year and MVP of the tourney, hands down no questions, I am amazed at the two year old attitudes expressed on this board, Oturo was all tourney and not including him brings the whole process into question, who really cares about these awards they are a worthless joke.

Thank you Tre Jones for two of the most enjoyable high school basketball tournaments I have watched, great basketball player and better competitor. He is obviously Mr Basketball this year and MVP of the tourney, hands down no questions, I am amazed at the two year old attitudes expressed on this board, Oturo was all tourney and not including him brings the whole process into question, who really cares about these awards they are a worthless joke.

Grimey's got it right. Wish Tre the best, but cheer for our own. That's not being juvenile, it's being a fan.

It absolutely deserved a technical, and some argue he's lucky he didn't get ejected for standing over Tre after the shove. I don't think it merited going that far, but it escalated after Tre clobbered Oturu and there was no call. Best moment of the night was when the two embraced after it was all over. They both left it all on the floor.

I think it's a MSHSL rule that getting a technical in state tournament play eliminates you from the All-Tournament Team, which is a terrible rule. I understand the sportsmanship aspect of it, but it needs to be changed.

Oturu is already more polished offensively than Lynch ever was at the U. He consistently looked for open teammates out of the double team, and his pivot for a reverse lay-up to avoid a double team was one of the prettier plays I've seen. We didn't get to see a lot of post moves from him because AV played zone for most of the game. When they did go man-to-man, CDH went right to him in the post and it was too easy.

Mark Parrish was just excellent on the hockey broadcast compared to Lee and Lynch... He has a future for sure in the broadcast game.

True and Jim Erickson, of Braham Mn, does a great job on the hockey play by play as well.

I would hate to be on the committee that has to decide between Tre Jones and Daniel Oturu for Mr. Basketball. If they're smart, let the two share it like Darius Lane and Joel Przybilla did back in 1998. They both deserve it.

It absolutely deserved a technical, and some argue he's lucky he didn't get ejected for standing over Tre after the shove. I don't think it merited going that far, but it escalated after Tre clobbered Oturu and there was no call. Best moment of the night was when the two embraced after it was all over. They both left it all on the floor.

I think it's a MSHSL rule that getting a technical in state tournament play eliminates you from the All-Tournament Team, which is a terrible rule. I understand the sportsmanship aspect of it, but it needs to be changed.

Oturu is already more polished offensively than Lynch ever was at the U. He consistently looked for open teammates out of the double team, and his pivot for a reverse lay-up to avoid a double team was one of the prettier plays I've seen. We didn't get to see a lot of post moves from him because AV played zone for most of the game. When they did go man-to-man, CDH went right to him in the post and it was too easy.

When they fed information to the Channel 45 guy, he was told "committee decision." If it is a "rule" the faceless committee should have said that and I think they would have. It at least provides some cover for them. If it is a rule, it needs to be reevaluated. I thought it was a cheap shot by Jones that contributed to the whole thing, which the committee might have considered too. Bad decision on the leagues part. Let the media pick the team like they do in everything else and get the bureaucrats out of it.

For what it's worth, I'm okay with a guy with enough fire in his belly to defend himself, as long he keeps it under control, being a Gopher.

Oturo is going to be terrific. Great vertical, great hands, good foot speed and court vision. Now he needs to just keep building strength and post moves. With the way he can go up in the air, developing a baseline turnaround jumper, McHale style, would be the ticket. Just go straight up and go over the top of everybody.

I love the way he passes. He, Jordan Murphy and IW are going to have some fun together next year!

I would hate to be on the committee that has to decide between Tre Jones and Daniel Oturu for Mr. Basketball. If they're smart, let the two share it like Darius Lane and Joel Przybilla did back in 1998. They both deserve it.

There is no decision. Tre Jones was gonna be already named mr basketball before the season even started unless something drastic happened. Whatever chance oturo had left with the technical. The media and coaches association loves the Jones family. Tre is a great player and he is more than free to choose his college. But we dont have to cheer for him. But the media and almost all transplants living in the twin cities loves tyus and tre and doesn't care if they spite the UMN.

There is no decision. Tre Jones was gonna be already named mr basketball before the season even started unless something drastic happened. Whatever chance oturo had left with the technical. The media and coaches association loves the Jones family. Tre is a great player and he is more than free to choose his college. But we dont have to cheer for him. But the media and almost all transplants living in the twin cities loves tyus and tre and doesn't care if they spite the UMN.

Agree with your take on the Jones brothers. I was happy to see CDH win and will not be cheering for Duke next year or any year.

When they fed information to the Channel 45 guy, he was told "committee decision." If it is a "rule" the faceless committee should have said that and I think they would have. It at least provides some cover for them. If it is a rule, it needs to be reevaluated. I thought it was a cheap shot by Jones that contributed to the whole thing, which the committee might have considered too. Bad decision on the leagues part. Let the media pick the team like they do in everything else and get the bureaucrats out of it.

For what it's worth, I'm okay with a guy with enough fire in his belly to defend himself, as long he keeps it under control, being a Gopher.

What a great game. I thought they were the best two teams. But what was disappointing was they officiating. The two best teams should have the best three officials. Didn't happen. Apparently the good ole' boys theory is still operating in the league offices.

Tre should win Mr. Basketball fairly easily.

Oturu is great and I can't wait to watch him play for the Gophers but Tre is on a different level.

Tre should win Mr. Basketball fairly easily.

Oturu is great and I can't wait to watch him play for the Gophers but Tre is on a different level.

They also play different positions and oturo doesn't start every position w the ball in his hand. I thought oturo impacted and influenced the game just as much as tre's scoring.

You're right that tre will win Mr basketball but only because the perception is already there and he plays guard. It's like a qb always winning the Heisman.

I knew someone would reply as you did. See Frank Grimey Grimes’ response to my comment and your response. He stated my sentiment much more articulately than did I. My comment (and hopefully most comments made on this board) are made in the context of Gophers Basketball, and as a rabid basketball fan. Thus, “caring about your home state” means wanting to see your home team succeed, and thus making all the fans of your home-state team happy. Simple as that. As such, from a college basketball perspective, Tre now plays for one of the most oft hated teams and will no longer be a local hero to the majority of Gopher basketball fans. He has become a traitor of sorts to fans that badly want to see the Gophers succeed. That’s just reality. I’m sure he is a great kid, and this sentiment is only in the context of sports fandom, which is a pretty silly thing anyway. I hope Tre has a good life, great friends, finds a great job, and lives a long, happy life. But I hope Duke loses more games than they win and gets beat by the Gophers during Tre’s tenure and regrets his decision.

Regarding your comment about not putting players in the NBA: Isn’t part of the reason for that all the home-state players that wouldn’t stay home and thus didn’t “care” about their home state? Sort of a chicken and egg scenario. You are right that the ultimate burden falls on the Gophers coaches for not closing the deal in recruiting.

I knew someone would reply as you did. See Frank Grimey Grimes’ response to my comment and your response. He stated my sentiment much more articulately than did I. My comment (and hopefully most comments made on this board) are made in the context of Gophers Basketball, and as a rabid basketball fan. Thus, “caring about your home state” means wanting to see your home team succeed, and thus making all the fans of your home-state team happy. Simple as that. As such, from a college basketball perspective, Tre now plays for one of the most oft hated teams and will no longer be a local hero to the majority of Gopher basketball fans. He has become a traitor of sorts to fans that badly want to see the Gophers succeed. That’s just reality. I’m sure he is a great kid, and this sentiment is only in the context of sports fandom, which is a pretty silly thing anyway. I hope Tre has a good life, great friends, finds a great job, and lives a long, happy life. But I hope Duke loses more games than they win and gets beat by the Gophers during Tre’s tenure and regrets his decision.

Regarding your comment about not putting players in the NBA: Isn’t part of the reason for that all the home-state players that wouldn’t stay home and thus didn’t “care” about their home state? Sort of a chicken and egg scenario. You are right that the ultimate burden falls on the Gophers coaches for not closing the deal in recruiting.

You're mostly right, but it's also important to denote the difference between "home team" and "home state". This board is an echo chamber of rabid Gopher fans, I can speak from experience that the vast majority of basketball fans in this state are not very big Gopher fans and the Jones' etc. not picking the Gophers is understandable and not a big deal. It only matters to big Gopher fans.

The Gopher fanbase is mostly older, and that is shown on this board. As someone who is mid-20s and played and was involved in the basketball community, I haven't heard one bad thing about the Jones' from anyone under 30 and most are HUGE fans. I would say probably 90% or higher. They're still loved in their home state, just not by the Gophers fanbase, which is really smaller than this board makes it seem. Not saying it's small, just that there's a lot of people out there in the general public haha.

You're mostly right, but it's also important to denote the difference between "home team" and "home state". This board is an echo chamber of rabid Gopher fans, I can speak from experience that the vast majority of basketball fans in this state are not very big Gopher fans and the Jones' etc. not picking the Gophers is understandable and not a big deal. It only matters to big Gopher fans.

The Gopher fanbase is mostly older, and that is shown on this board. As someone who is mid-20s and played and was involved in the basketball community, I haven't heard one bad thing about the Jones' from anyone under 30 and most are HUGE fans. I would say probably 90% or higher. They're still loved in their home state, just not by the Gophers fanbase, which is really smaller than this board makes it seem. Not saying it's small, just that there's a lot of people out there in the general public haha.

Good points.

Grimey's got it right. Wish Tre the best, but cheer for our own. That's not being juvenile, it's being a fan.

Exactly. My wife and I were talking about this during the KU/Duke game. We were glad Trent was one of the players for Duke that showed heart and grit in that game; there's some hometown pride there. We have nothing against the kid. Similarly, we like the way Tyus plays for the Wolves. That said, we're always going to give the stink eye to the Apple Valley kids who are too cool to play for our Alma Mater. We're Gopher alumni, and we're going to gravitate to the players who chose the same school we did and played hard for us fans while we cheered them.

Exactly. My wife and I were talking about this during the KU/Duke game. We were glad Trent was one of the players for Duke that showed heart and grit in that game; there's some hometown pride there. We have nothing against the kid. Similarly, we like the way Tyus plays for the Wolves. That said, we're always going to give the stink eye to the Apple Valley kids who are too cool to play for our Alma Mater. We're Gopher alumni, and we're going to gravitate to the players who chose the same school we did and played hard for us fans while we cheered them.

I agree with you, and I’m not even a Gopher alum. My dad took me to a few games at the barn when I was a wide-eyed kid (Dutcher era), and I became a fan for life. Apparently, according to young posters on this site, there are mostly only old people left who think like I do, and the younger generation just doesn’t have any home state pride where MN Gophers Basketball is concerned. I guess there are a few exceptions (Coffey, Oturu, etc. )

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom