All Things MN Basketball State Tourney Thread

Frank Grimey Grimes

Reaction score
I know a lot of us on here watch a bit of high school basketball and with Sections starting this week, figured it would be a good time to start a thread. Feel free to post anything from any team. If you find any good games with a stream, post it here as well.

As I post this, Prior Lake is hosting Jefferson and it is tied up 52-52 with a couple of minutes left. Potential recruit Dawson Garcia(2020) is playing well, pretty sure he has at least 13 points with 10+ rebounds.

I know a lot of us on here watch a bit of high school basketball and with Sections starting this week, figured it would be a good time to start a thread. Feel free to post anything from any team. If you find any good games with a stream, post it here as well.

As I post this, Prior Lake is hosting Jefferson and it is tied up 52-52 with a couple of minutes left. Potential recruit Dawson Garcia(2020) is playing well, pretty sure he has at least 13 points with 10+ rebounds.
Watch the 1A section 2A bracket. 5 ranked teams in this section. Mayer Lutheran is good....real good. Size... athletic...can shoot.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Maybe Austin this year will get over the hump and beat DeLaSalle? That is if both continue winning to get to that game.

I see that 6AA is stacked this year. I guess there is five different conference champs in that section and seven teams with at least 20 wins.

Former Gopher and future Gopher coach Damian Johnson wins his first playoff game as a HS coach, 49-47 over Tartan. Next up: CDH.

Maybe Austin this year will get over the hump and beat DeLaSalle? That is if both continue winning to get to that game.

To do that, Austin has to start playing better. They don't appear to be having any fun on the court together. To finish up they beat Northfield by 7, Mankato East by 5, Owatonna in OT, and lost to JM by 10 but it wasn't that competitive. That's after beating JM by 16 in January. So, Austin needs to find their mojo again. Yes, they snuck out some tight wins playing less than their best but the games shouldn't have been that close. Hope they catch fire.

JM squeaks by 7 seed Mayo by 8 points. Plays Owatonna Saturday in Matthew Hurt news.

Are any of these section games being Streamed?

I see that 6AA is stacked this year. I guess there is five different conference champs in that section and seven teams with at least 20 wins.

Same with 4AAAA, Cretin, East Ridge, North St.Paul are all ranked top 10 in the state. Woodbury also in that section and they are no slouch. :eek:

Would hate to be a bottom feeder in that section

Former Gopher and future Gopher coach Damian Johnson wins his first playoff game as a HS coach, 49-47 over Tartan. Next up: CDH.

Wow, Damian's Polars are 22-4 on the year, and they only got a 4th seed in their section. Tough draw on getting to State.

Then there are sections that have three seeds with 5 wins. Section 2AA has only 5 of 15 teams with winning records.

To do that, Austin has to start playing better. They don't appear to be having any fun on the court together. To finish up they beat Northfield by 7, Mankato East by 5, Owatonna in OT, and lost to JM by 10 but it wasn't that competitive. That's after beating JM by 16 in January. So, Austin needs to find their mojo again. Yes, they snuck out some tight wins playing less than their best but the games shouldn't have been that close. Hope they catch fire.

Mankato East and Owatonna a very good teams though. East matches up with Austin very well, both teams are very long and athletic. It is going to be fun to watch the Madsen brothers in the next couple years at Mayo. Their team might not be to good, but the brothers could make them a tough team on their own.

All those teams are pretty close in talent. Owatonna won at Austin by 12 earlier, but JM crushed Owatonna twice.

MLHS(26-3)(all 3 losses against rank AA teams) headed to the 2A Section finals against Springfield (28-1) Game is at 6PM on Friday at MN State. This section had 5 top 10 ranked teams in it.

Worth noting - one of Austin's best players, Both Gach, transferred to a prep school out west - (Arizona?). If he was playing for Austin, they would be a lot stronger team. Disclaimer - I have known Coach Kris Fadness since he was a toddler. his dad was my HS Principal and his older sister was my HS classmate.

Someone mentioned Section 2A. I know Mayer Lutheran is a good club. I like Springfield to win that section. Isaac Fink for Springfield is a really nice player - one of those guys who is so smooth it doesn't look like he's playing hard - and at the end of the game, you look at the box score and he's put up 30 points. Springfield is not really big, but they just beat a team in St. Clair that went 6'9", 6'6" and 6'4" along the front line.

And in Section 3A, it will be a good Section Final Thursday between Minneota and SW MN Christian. Minneota moved down from class AA to A this year. Very athletic.

Worth noting - one of Austin's best players, Both Gach, transferred to a prep school out west - (Arizona?). If he was playing for Austin, they would be a lot stronger team. Disclaimer - I have known Coach Kris Fadness since he was a toddler. his dad was my HS Principal and his older sister was my HS classmate.

Someone mentioned Section 2A. I know Mayer Lutheran is a good club. I like Springfield to win that section. Isaac Fink for Springfield is a really nice player - one of those guys who is so smooth it doesn't look like he's playing hard - and at the end of the game, you look at the box score and he's put up 30 points. Springfield is not really big, but they just beat a team in St. Clair that went 6'9", 6'6" and 6'4" along the front line.

And in Section 3A, it will be a good Section Final Thursday between Minneota and SW MN Christian. Minneota moved down from class AA to A this year. Very athletic.

It’s Minneota vs. RTR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't seen Springfield play but the match will be a good one according to the teams they both have played. Mayer goes 6'7" 6'6" 6'2". Very athletic, deep, and good team players. I will at the game on Friday.

Both Gach is attending a prep school in Az... Too bad as those twins playing together would have been good tv again.

Had Perham even lost a game before losing this one?

Here is the finish of section 2A game.
Tied 75 with 13 seconds left.

Check out @Kovar_HJsports’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/Kovar_HJsports/status/974805448527437824?s=09

Earning the #1 seed in the state Tournament
4948e060621b4d1a9b8bb8a24baeec1c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Had Perham even lost a game before losing this one?

Perham was the last HS unbeaten in Minnesota. Ended the year at 29-1.

State Tourney thoughts:

Rochester JM goes down in section finals, so we don't get to watch the younger Hurt brother at state. In 4A, a Cretin vs. Apple Valley final would be a lot of fun. Cretin will likely have to get through Osseo in the Semis.

In 3A, DeLaSalle changes coaches and just keeps rolling. I would love to see Austin win a state title, but I'm not sure they have enough firepower.

In 2A, it's the Suggs show for Minnehaha. But Caledonia has got a lot of talent. that would be the final I want to see.

In 1A, Mayer Lutheran is really solid. North Woods was ranked #1 or #2 most of the year in the polls. we'll see what they've got.

State Tourney thoughts:

Rochester JM goes down in section finals, so we don't get to watch the younger Hurt brother at state. In 4A, a Cretin vs. Apple Valley final would be a lot of fun. Cretin will likely have to get through Osseo in the Semis.

In 3A, DeLaSalle changes coaches and just keeps rolling. I would love to see Austin win a state title, but I'm not sure they have enough firepower.

In 2A, it's the Suggs show for Minnehaha. But Caledonia has got a lot of talent. that would be the final I want to see.

In 1A, Mayer Lutheran is really solid. North Woods was ranked #1 or #2 most of the year in the polls. we'll see what they've got.
North Woods had their Cinderella season last year. They play in a weak Iron Range conference, but their two gunners, Goggleye and Olson are back. Live by the 3 and die by the 3. They'll crush Heritage Christian, but may not make the finals.

That's one tough section for sure.

There are a lot of tuff sections. Lake City, St. Charles and Caledonia were ranked in the top 10 of the state most the year. They were all state caliber teams, but only one could come out of that section. Caledonia vs. Minnehaha Academy would be a fun title game (and rematch of a great game played mid-feb).

Anymore fights break out or is it just limited to Mpls North & Brooklyn Center?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Any obvious favorite for the big school bracket? I see Cretin got the #1 seed and Apple Valley got the #2 seed. Should we expect to see them in the finals or is there another team in the wings to look out for?

Top Bottom