All Things MN Basketball State Tourney Thread

Mayer and RTR should be a?great match up today. 12pm game

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Wishart was impressive, he couldn't be our second PG? Come off the bench, hits some 3's and play solid D.
Oturu was really impressive I thought. His second half impact on the game was great to see: good D, moves well, nice moves in the paint. EP has a bunch of 6'6" guys that were play tough but Oturu dominated.
Jones looked terrible I thought. Granted LVN knows his game but he can't shoot.

I'd wager my house that Oturu is the starting center next year! No way Pitino can deny him. I'd give him an outside chance to pass jones as the top rated recruit from Minnesota after the championship game.

Oturu looks like he could grow a few more inches. That dunk in traffic was impressive. He has great body control and moves really well for a big guy. I'm not sure he's 6'10" but he is at least 220 with room to be 240 when he is a senior. A front court of Oturu/Curry/Murphy/Coffey/Hurt/Omersa with Stockman will be one of the best in the big 10.

I'd wager my house that Oturu is the starting center next year! No way Pitino can deny him. I'd give him an outside chance to pass jones as the top rated recruit from Minnesota after the championship game.

Love Oturu, but people are getting way too focused on his Offensive game yesterday - which was only there for half the game mind you. Defensively he is not starting caliber yet, way too inconsistent. Couple highlight blocks against EP's much smaller soph's are great to see, but he also got beat by Andrew's back-to-the-basket style of play on a handful of occasions. He will need to shore this up to stay on the floor in the BIG. He can, and I'm sure he will, I just don't think it's fair to assume this will be immediate against the size he'll see next year.

Speaking of EP's Andrew's, his footwork is incredible and he is so savvy in the post which makes up for his size. Will be interesting to see how he and the other soph's from EP pan out over the next few years in terms of college recruitment. Even if Andrews, Dobbs, and Christensen don't grow much more I still think they're mid-major D1 talent at the least. Henry possibly as well. Very fun group to watch!

EP has a nice group of bigs, I would not under value that. Granted they are not 6'10" but they are 6'5" - 6'6". They are a hard working, rough and physical group. Andrew and Christensen are no push overs and will get mid-majors looks.

EP has a nice group of bigs, I would not under value that. Granted they are not 6'10" but they are 6'5" - 6'6". They are a hard working, rough and physical group. Andrew and Christensen are no push overs and will get mid-majors looks.
EP - Extraordinarily Privileged? [emoji41]

Oturu looks like he could grow a few more inches

A few? Why not 6" = 7'-4"?

Sheeze, maybe he will grow a touch more, but we have said this about several recruits and they don't grow another inch... who the hell knows.

Have to differ from Gopher Skipper but Orturo is the real deal and will impact the Gophers immediately.

More than height, Oturu needs muscle. 247 has him at 220lbs and Omersa at 228. Reggie is 240. It would be awesome if these two could put on 10-15 pounds of muscle before October. Which shouldn't be too hard with them working with the U's trainers during the summer. Randy Breuer at 7'5" became way more effective after putting on some weight.

More than height, Oturu needs muscle. 247 has him at 220lbs and Omersa at 228. Reggie is 240. It would be awesome if these two could put on 10-15 pounds of muscle before October. Which shouldn't be too hard with them working with the U's trainers during the summer. Randy Breuer at 7'5" became way more effective after putting on some weight.

Wait!What? The Brew was 7'5"? How much did he grow in college?
I agree Orturu needs to put on some weight and he'll be a work in progress during year one. I do think he provides an immediate improvement to help Murphy.

7'4", 7'5" what's the difference? I'm looking up at them in either case.

Wishart was impressive, he couldn't be our second PG? Come off the bench, hits some 3's and play solid D.
Oturu was really impressive I thought. His second half impact on the game was great to see: good D, moves well, nice moves in the paint. EP has a bunch of 6'6" guys that were play tough but Oturu dominated.
Jones looked terrible I thought. Granted LVN knows his game but he can't shoot.

Wishart isn't quick enough or physical enough to play in the B1G, reminds me of that kid from Edina that played at Penn State for one year and then transferred to Drake.

I hope CDH wins but when push comes to shove I don't see how Jones doesn't end up dominating the game, not a great shooter but does everything else and is so much better than anyone else in the tournament, guards control the game at this level. I would have loved to see Jones and Oturu a couple of years down the line playing together.

RTR is thumping Mayer Luther in the first Class A semi-final. Up 15 with eight minutes to go.

Mayer getting out muscled by the smaller RTR team.

Mayer Lutheran looking really ordinary.

0-15 from three point range?

Mayer finally quit taking NBA threes and suddenly they are crawling back into it.
Down to a 6 point lead.

Mayer seems to like to take NBA three pointers a lot. Where they always miss.

RTR, a team of 6 footers beats Mayer Lutheran in what would be considered an upset.

Mayer shot about 0 for 20 from three point land.

Mayer seems to like to take NBA three pointers a lot. Where they always miss.

I'm not watching the game, but there is always temptation to take a shot when you are not guarded. Not many high school guys are guarded in NBA range for good reason. The three happy attitude and strategy looks great when they are falling, but awful when they are not. How many college teams lost because their threes wouldn't drop and they had no alternative? I love the three, but all teams need to be able get easier shots once in a while.

RTR, a team of 6 footers beats Mayer Lutheran in what would be considered an upset.

Mayer shot about 0 for 20 from three point land.

0-21 on threes according to the box score on MSHSL.org. That's hard to do. Dumb luck would let at least one fall in you would think.

RTR back in the championship where they belong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TV coverage - Irritated by Dave Lee and his constant 'name dropping' of who he is friends or buddies with. Also his attempts at humor seem lame. Kevin Lynch tends to just go along with Lee's comments. He kind of gets sucked into Lee's shtick. Comparing this broadcast to the Mn St Hockey broadcast - professionalism is lacking - which the hockey broadcast announcers had in spades. The video (hd) is generally excellent so it's fun to watch. But what's with the no seating under each basket at Target Center? The MSHL must be afraid of having students too close to the floor - which is a bit bizarre. It is the state tournament after all. That decision (as in the past few years) seems like something the No Fun League would do.

Great point about the Hockey coverage. Of all the state tournaments i have watched , the Minnesota state high school hockey tourney is covered as well as the Indiana state basketball tournament. You two are miles ahead of anyone else.

Mark Parrish was just excellent on the hockey broadcast compared to Lee and Lynch... He has a future for sure in the broadcast game.

I think Lee and Lynch do a better job than what we saw with Lee and Janet K last week.

How many times you hear them p-foot around anything that might resemble criticism of a female player, it's amazing.
Every shot that hits the rim, Dave Lee says "In and out" as if every shot tossed should have gone in.

Dave Lee and Lynch is better. Lynch is sarcastic and ripping at times, but not in a negative way. It's far better than last week's misery of play by play calls.

I'm not watching the game, but there is always temptation to take a shot when you are not guarded. Not many high school guys are guarded in NBA range for good reason. The three happy attitude and strategy looks great when they are falling, but awful when they are not. How many college teams lost because their threes wouldn't drop and they had no alternative? I love the three, but all teams need to be able get easier shots once in a while.
It was dumb. In some cases they could have stepped up and still gotten a three off, but instead they were clanking bad. That and numerous turnovers did them in.

Minnehaha Academy makes quick work of St. Cloud Cathedral. It was never real close.

The North Woods v RTR game should be good. Both play tough defense and have a good inside-out offensive scheme. If RTR can slow down Olson and Goggleye they should win. But, that is a big if.

Top Bottom