STrib: No experienced QB on Gophers roster, Fleck finds it 'exciting'

Last year the Gophers developed neither QB and the offense and passing game rated around 120th.

Last year the Gophers developed neither QB and the offense and passing game rated around 120th.

You have to have the talent to develop at QB. They now have at least three guys that fit that bill, if not four. The will be a watershed year for QB at Minnesota.

You have to have the talent to develop at QB. They now have at least three guys that fit that bill, if not four. The will be a watershed year for QB at Minnesota.

We haven't had good QB play in forever. Up until last year most blamed the coaches. Now that song has changed? Out talent last year at QB was bad. Our coaching at QB was equally bad, if not worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What part of the team looked good? Serious question.

I'm waiting too. I was prepared to answer kicking game but then remembered there were struggles by Carpenter last year, he's good enough to right the ship though. As far as QB play goes (to stick with the thread since derailment is the usual direction here on GH), I would agree...what HAS looked good? Wasn't Chilly that said TJack had a nice voice in the huddle or something like that? Please don't go there Coach!

I'm waiting too. I was prepared to answer kicking game but then remembered there were struggles by Carpenter last year, he's good enough to right the ship though. As far as QB play goes (to stick with the thread since derailment is the usual direction here on GH), I would agree...what HAS looked good? Wasn't Chilly that said TJack had a nice voice in the huddle or something like that? Please don't go there Coach!

???? He was perfect on all PAT and only missed FGs in three of 13 games. What do you want from a kicker???

???? He was perfect on all PAT and only missed FGs in three of 13 games. What do you want from a kicker???

Nice way to misrepresent his year. I expect the big 10 kicker of the year to make more than a sub average percent of his field goals (70%). Even Emmit would admit he was disappointed with his season.

Nice way to misrepresent his year. I expect the big 10 kicker of the year to make more than a sub average percent of his field goals (70%). Even Emmit would admit he was disappointed with his season.

It is so "peak Big Ten" to have a conversation regarding QBs devolve into an argument about placekicking. ;)

I wouldn't say I'm "excited" about the QB battle. "Interested" might be a better way of putting it.

This could turn out to be a plus for the Gophers if one of the QBs grabs the job and turns out to be better than we (some of us) think.

But, after last year, I am trying to keep all expectations in check. Last year, the Gophs had 2 QB's with at least some game experience, and we all saw what happened.

this year, no D1 game experience for any of the QB candidates. Expecting, or even hoping, that one of them jumps in and is great - or even good - right out of the bat is a heck of a leap of faith.

for the 1st game of the season, if the QB can just get the team up to the line of scrimmage, call the play, and hand off the ball without anything bad happening, I'll be happy. if the QB can actually complete a pass, I'll be even more happy.

Neither of last seasons QBs had much game experience and one was a complete non-student of the game. VV has more useful game experience than either QB last season. It may have only been at the JC level, but it is still more useful than what Rhoda and Croft had prior to last season.

The coaching was really good. Everybody else let us down

:cool:

Ok, I’ll go. I can’t recall special teams giving up a lot of long returns, Cashman played a part in that. Rodney Smith quietly put up some decent numbers despite an almost impossible situation (for a second consecutive year). Kobe McCrary and Brooks always falling forward was nice. T.J. was pretty early on then had a case of of drops, may have been related to hand injury (?). Merrill Jackson moved his mass with some authority at times and made some comically harsh tackles with opposing players. Coughlin is developing. McGhee and Barber alternately made awesome plays followed up by frustratingly inconsistent play.

Pass protection...seemed generally atrocious, difficulty protecting more than 2 seconds all year. The run game was generally anemic which wasn’t helped by scheme. WR play was the legit the worst I’ve ever seen, overall. We didn’t have a viable pass-catching TE. The defense couldn’t set an edge, couldn’t tackle, couldn’t fill gaps, couldn’t cover. Other than that they were great. The QBs made a ton of mistakes. Frustrating year, but I’m always optimistic for the next year. We “should” be a lot better.

I keep thinking that all qb's hadn't made their first pass until they made their first pass.

Do I have this correct?

Maybe even Brady, Brees, and Rodgers were in this boat at one time.

would he have to pay the blood money for a seat license too?

I'm guessing they would waive the seat license, to help compensate for the pay-cut they made him take.

We haven't had good QB play in forever. Up until last year most blamed the coaches. Now that song has changed? Out talent last year at QB was bad. Our coaching at QB was equally bad, if not worse.

I don't think Kill was criticized much for QB play after his first season. There's only so much you can do in one year. The criticism came after multiple years of lack of talent and development at the position. If we're 2-3 years down the road with the same issue, the criticism will be there for Fleck as well.

I don't think Kill was criticized much for QB play after his first season. There's only so much you can do in one year. The criticism came after multiple years of lack of talent and development at the position. If we're 2-3 years down the road with the same issue, the criticism will be there for Fleck as well.

Fair take. I don't disagree with Kill's staff's inability to develop QBs. It was quite atrocious, TBH.

Yeah there was plenty of late grumbling about Kill's team near his departure.

I would have kept at it with Kill for a while, but I was becoming concerned Kill and Co had plateaued as far as crooting, wins.... offense.

Yeah there was plenty of late grumbling about Kill's team near his departure.

I would have kept at it with Kill for a while, but I was becoming concerned Kill and Co had plateaued as far as crooting, wins.... offense.

Kill took us to the Citrus Bowl -- not the Rose Bowl, I know. But people were feeling pretty good about where the program was at that time and where it was headed. He resigned halfway through the next season. People were concerned about keeeping his best recruiting class together with his departure. I'm sure there was some grumbling, but that was a pretty quick turnaround in perception for those who did.

Top Bottom