CBS: Memphis officials seriously considering Penny Hardaway to replace Tubby Smith

Can we please bring Tubby and Rick Pitino in as assistant coaches next year?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Can we please bring Tubby and Rick Pitino in as assistant coaches next year?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tubby can't coach an offense and Richard can't coach a defense. It could work.

Pretty bold strategy to say you should keep your job because you can’t get any of the good local recruits.

“I can’t get any of the good recruits that normally would be interested in the school...so you have to keep me”
"And the guy you want to replace me with could get those recruits no problem."

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tubby has a really good lawyer negotiating for him. I'm not sure how old he is, but it seems like a pretty safe parachute for heading into retirement. It seems by and large the same scenario he had here. Not bad but missed expectations, poor PR skills, and leaving with essentially no recruiting class coming in. If they do bring in Penny, they will draw immediate interest and local recruits, but there is no assurance the guy can coach at this level and do all the extra headaches required of a high major coach. If he has been angling for the job as some suggest, he better have a plan to team up with some coaches who have some experience and know what they are doing.

Memphis fans shouldn't forget Clyde Drexler at Houston as a coach (not player). No guarantees.

Unbelievable.

It might work for a couple years. They will get some good players. Then when the recruiting well dries up, and the NCAA sanctions come they will be a dumpster fire. And they'll still be paying Tubby through it all. Memphis basketball is like Nebraska football -- they don't understand that they aren't in the glory years anymore and that you can't just flip a switch and get back there.

I'm not sure how old he is, but it seems like a pretty safe parachute for heading into retirement.

66, sucks to not be able to go out on your own once you make it that far... I'm sure Penny will keep Saul on staff!

They were crazy to hire him in the first place. Tubby is running a great Ponzi scheme and laughing all the way to the bank. He has made a ton of money from having the good fortune to take over a monster team from Pitino Sr. at Kentucky.

They were crazy to hire him in the first place. Tubby is running a great Ponzi scheme and laughing all the way to the bank. He has made a ton of money from having the good fortune to take over a monster team from Pitino Sr. at Kentucky.

I didn't understand it either. Staying at Texas Tech would have made so much more sense for him and Memphis.

Memphis has to pay a huge buy-out to a 68 year old coach. You can't make this stuff up.

Yeah, he also got lucky inheriting the stacked rosters at traditional powerhouses Tulsa and Georgia that got him into the Sweet 16.

Yeah, he also got lucky inheriting the stacked rosters at traditional powerhouses Tulsa and Georgia that got him into the Sweet 16.

Also very lucky in being the only Minnesota coach in 28 years to win an NCAA Tournament game.

Tulsa was a mid major power thanks to Nolan Richardson and Hugh Durham left him some nice players at UGA. Amost every coach has won at Tulsa since Richardson was there. They have a culture of success. Tubby is a decent coach, but has had his best years with other coaches recruits. He keeps getting jobs based on the Natty he won with Pitino's squad his first year in Lexington. If he was a great coach he would still be in Lexington.

Tulsa was a mid major power thanks to Nolan Richardson and Hugh Durham left him some nice players at UGA. Amost every coach has won at Tulsa since Richardson was there. They have a culture of success. Tubby is a decent coach, but has had his best years with other coaches recruits. He keeps getting jobs based on the Natty he won with Pitino's squad his first year in Lexington. If he was a great coach he would still be in Lexington.

Tulsa hadn't been to the tournament for four straight years before he got there, and hadn't won an NCAA tournament game since the 50s (even under Nolan Richardson), an his best years were his last two there. Georgia had missed the tournament four straight years before Tubby arrived. I was plenty critical of Tubby at times when he was here, and even thought he should have been fired after year 5 (6-12 in conference is not ok even with the injuries), but let's at least be honest about his accomplishments.

Tubby is a decent coach, but has had his best years with other coaches recruits.

Ah, yes - that explains why his 6th year at Minnesota was his best. He was able to take advantage of all of those 7th-year seniors that Monson left behind for him.

Ah, yes - that explains why his 6th year at Minnesota was his best. He was able to take advantage of all of those 7th-year seniors that Monson left behind for him.

Not trying to minimize the win over UCLA as some here insist on doing, but it's a bit charitable to claim Tubby's 6th season here was his best. That team badly underachieved going 8-10 in the league and got knocked out first round of the BTT.

I'd probably go with 2009-10 as Tubby's best season here as it included the magical run to the BTT title game.

Tulsa hadn't been to the tournament for four straight years before he got there, and hadn't won an NCAA tournament game since the 50s (even under Nolan Richardson), an his best years were his last two there. Georgia had missed the tournament four straight years before Tubby arrived. I was plenty critical of Tubby at times when he was here, and even thought he should have been fired after year 5 (6-12 in conference is not ok even with the injuries), but let's at least be honest about his accomplishments.[/QUOTE

He was a good, not great coach. A great coach would still be in Lexington.
We went to the 2012 Final Four. My Gopher attire attracted Kentucky fans like flys to honey.
They all were so glad to be done with him and his ugly brand of basketball.

That's pretty funny. But let's face it, he had a poor recruiting class coming in and the future was not bright.

That's pretty funny. But let's face it, he had a poor recruiting class coming in and the future was not bright.

A 6-12 Big Ten record in his fifth season as Minnesota's head coach was pretty bad. It would take a pretty poor head coach to do worse than that in their fifth season at Minnesota.

A 6-12 Big Ten record in his fifth season as Minnesota's head coach was pretty bad. It would take a pretty poor head coach to do worse than that in their fifth season at Minnesota.

We are talking bout Tub-tub... Nice deflection attempt.

I found the line about a "bright future" pretty hilarious given that his successor had an even worse 5th season than he did.

I said "future was not bright".

Keep on topic dpod... save it for another thread, this ain't about Richard.

Pretty bold strategy to say you should keep your job because you can’t get any of the good local recruits.

“I can’t get any of the good recruits that normally would be interested in the school...so you have to keep me”

I’m shocked the dumbest sales pitch of all time didn’t work

Top Bottom