Depth at Running Back behind Rodney Smith and Jonathan Femi-Cole

Vandy

Reaction score
Clearly, we are going to see some new faces in the backfield this season, particularly now with Brooks out for the season. What and who will be be seeing?

I think this is a big deal. Shannon was adept at getting the short yardage conversions. Losing him and big bruiser McCrary leaves a hole at RB. As talented as he is I don’t see Rod Smith being as durable as a David Cobb over the course of a season but that’s always a crapshoot.

Femi-Cole has size. The other guys are a bit on the smaller side and we haven’t seen them play. I think one of Bryce Williams or Nolan Edmonds plays this year if they’re as good as they look. If only fans could attend practice and report on who seems to have it at RB.

Agreed that finding someone to convert the third-and-one will be crucial. The Gophers weren't particularly adept at it this past year even with McCrary and a part-time Brooks. Here's to hoping Femi-Cole steps into that role and the offensive line generates a little push once in awhile.

Clearly, we are going to see some new faces in the backfield this season, particularly now with Brooks out for the season. What and who will be be seeing?

Femi-Cole is pretty much a given. The rest of the field is wide open.

How's that for stating the obvious?;)

I really think Femi Cole will surprise a lot of people this year and that 3rd running back won't be that big of a deal assuming Femi Cole and Smith stay healthy. Femi Cole is built like an absolute brick house, it is ridiculous how strong he is and I would be willing to bed he is one of the strongest guys pound for pound on the team.

Smith will be our feature back and is the faster and more finesse back. Femi Cole will come in and bruise defenses much like Mccrary last year. As long as Ibrahim or London can handle 4-5 carries a game, I am not concerned at all at the position. I thought Brooks was the 3rd best running back on the team last year anways. I personally thing his value gets a bit overatted because he is such a likeable player with the way he plays.

All the listed RB's are over 200 lbs. I'm not concerned about size at all.

I really think Femi Cole will surprise a lot of people this year and that 3rd running back won't be that big of a deal assuming Femi Cole and Smith stay healthy. Femi Cole is built like an absolute brick house, it is ridiculous how strong he is and I would be willing to bed he is one of the strongest guys pound for pound on the team.

Smith will be our feature back and is the faster and more finesse back. Femi Cole will come in and bruise defenses much like Mccrary last year. As long as Ibrahim or London can handle 4-5 carries a game, I am not concerned at all at the position. I thought Brooks was the 3rd best running back on the team last year anways. I personally thing his value gets a bit overatted because he is such a likeable player with the way he plays.

IMHO, Brooks has a violent explosive style that opens him up to serious injury. But, man he is electrifying when he busts loose.

Brooks being out is an opportunity open for one or more of the RBs to step up.

Never a good time to have an injury like this. At least they can use spring to start the competition on the depth chart.

While it would obviously be nice to have Brooks, I think we are still okay. Smith has been one of the better backs in school history and he returns. Femi-Cole has been in the program for a while. We have two RBs who red-shirted last year, and two top-25 RBs coming in as true freshmen.

On the brightside, RBs can usually jump in and be successful early in their careers (RS freshmen or true freshmen) if they have the talent.

I think we'll be fine a running back, the bigger concern is the O-line. If they improve, then our existing corps of rb's should be fine. I think Femi-Cole is a much under-rated rb and I look forward to seeing what he can do.

I thought Femi Cole looked very good in the spring game last year.

I have confidence that one of either he, Ibrahim, London, Williams or Edmonds will be an adequate backup to Rodney.

My guess would be the depth chart shakes out something like Smith, Edmonds, Femi-Cole with Williams redshirting. Femi-Cole definitely looks to have the potential to be a good short yardage back but Edmonds ability as a pass catcher probably makes him a bit more appealing. I could see Ibrahim returning kickoffs...could be a good scat back down the road. I can't wait for the Spring Game to see where the returners are in their development.

Maybe we can get some breathing room in some non conference games so Rodney can save it for the conference games.

VV will bust out some yards too. Like an extra RB in the game.

VV will help a lot with short yards as mentioned. That’s one thing we missed in Leinder last year. When we had the ball within the 2 he was really good at punching it in.

Maybe we can get some breathing room in some non conference games so Rodney can save it for the conference games.

What is the more likely scenario based on recent history? Resting starters in the 4th or this in the 4th:

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/SzqWVE9b0o8bm" width="480" height="204" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/rock-look-blazing-SzqWVE9b0o8bm">via GIPHY</a></p>

VV will bust out some yards too. Like an extra RB in the game.

There is no doubt in my mind that Vic Viramontes will add to the run stats - a QB who can run like a RB.

I'll be curious to see how Vic Viramontes will do against B1G caliber opponents. He's got wheels like Leidner and weight about the same, but is 6'2" compared to Leidner at 6'4". Vic can throw the ball from the pocket and on the run with some authority. Can he take the hits? My worry always about dual threat run dominant QBs is their susceptibility to being injured.

I am so looking forward to seeing the competition between him and Tanner Morgan and possibly Seth Green. Will PJ Fleck use both Tanner and Vic in games? Maybe at least initially. We won't know for sure until the season starts.

The key to success IMHO is the offensive line. Hopefully, we have a healthy line throughout the season with good depth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqR783ZYR-U

https://247sports.com/player/victor-viramontes-81179

What is the more likely scenario based on recent history? Resting starters in the 4th or this in the 4th:

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/SzqWVE9b0o8bm" width="480" height="204" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/rock-look-blazing-SzqWVE9b0o8bm">via GIPHY</a></p>

True enough but hope springs eternal.

They won their non conference games by an average of 25 points per game last year.

I would think both freshman would redshirt unless forced to play from more injuries or they really flash a ton of talent this spring.

Femi-Cole looks like Adrian Peterson. Unfortunately he also fumbles like him.

They won their non conference games by an average of 25 points per game last year.

Lighten up. I’d guess that going back to an arbitrary start line of the Kill era about, oh, 70% of the time it isn’t over at the start of the 4th. Besides this year will likely be a bit more difficult in terms of opponent, maybe not so much in terms of air dehydration.

Right, but our non-conference opponents were weak last year. Buffalo was ok, which is why we only beat them by 10.

We will most likely be home dogs against Fresno St. this year.

Right, but our non-conference opponents were weak last year. Buffalo was ok, which is why we only beat them by 10.

We will most likely be home dogs against Fresno St. this year.

Buffalo was the first game with a lot of new pieces and a new head coach. The score was close but the outcome never felt like it was in doubt.

I’ll agree that Fresno St is much better than any one we played in the non conference last year. It also helps that it’s game 2. I think we’ll continue to see blowouts against inferior teams, especially as the talent level increases. That would apply to the other 2 non conference games.

Buffalo was the first game with a lot of new pieces and a new head coach. The score was close but the outcome never felt like it was in doubt.

I’ll agree that Fresno St is much better than any one we played in the non conference last year. It also helps that it’s game 2. I think we’ll continue to see blowouts against inferior teams, especially as the talent level increases. That would apply to the other 2 non conference games.

Agreed, we should comfortably win the other 2 noncon games without breaking a sweat.

In theory, having a running QB could take some of the load off the RB's. But - let's make that a BUT - how much is the QB going to run? Last year, there were games where the coaches admit they told the QB's not to run because they were worried about injuries.

So, the QB depth could be the key to the season. If the coaches are comfortable going to a #2 or even a #3 option, then they might let the starter take a bigger role in the running game. But, if the coaches are concerned about QB depth again, they might pull in the reins on the QB's.

If the QB is handling, say 10 designed runs a game, it gives the offense a different dimension. (assuming that those runs are going for positive yardage with no fumbles......).

A good athletic QB with real dual threat. Hopefully Vicious Vic is not our top rusher for I'd be worried about injuries.

Be uncommon, be unpredictable, be very difficult to defend when resources are committed to covering the QB run threat. Or is it passing threat on the run? Or run/pass threat? Just don't get hurt. Play smart.

How are they going to utilize the TEs this season? At WMU, they liked using a single TE.

RB is the least concerning position to lose a starter. I love Shannon, but we'll have plenty of options and weapons.

Top Bottom