P.J. Fleck drops bomb in his press conference - Shannon Brooks is out for the year...

GopherLady

Reaction score
and more notes (not verbatim) here ->

• Year 1: All you're doing is learning, everything is brand new. Year 2 is about doing the culture. It's hard for young people to adapt to that, 6 HC's in 11 years.
• 77% of our roster is an underclassman, or has been in the program for 2 years or less. Year 2 is all about, you finally get depth….he depth we have is youthful depth, but depth.
• QB quarterback competition - it's really exciting, we may look at it "we don't have a QB that's thrown a pass on the roster." Whoever plays for us in the fall, that will be their 1st pass. Tanner Morgan has had an exceptional offseason. It's got that "it" factor, he's a born winner. Seth Green has had a tremendous off season, he's one of the better athletes on our team. You might see him on some special teams, he's so athletic, we need to find out what he truly is. When we 1st got here, I don't know how much Seth Green was all in, now he's on the leadership council. He eats and breathes the culture. Vic Viramontes, I haven't seen him throw a pass yet. He's thick, he's already played.
• Spring puts you in prime position to win the position in the fall.
• On QB's - I usually don't like the 2 QB system, but we ended up playing 2 because I don't think one beat the other one out. This year, if no one does that, you can possibly see that again. Every coach in American would like to say, I have one guy, that's the starter…but when you don't have one guy that's thrown one pass at this level, you don't know.
• We have 13 Offensive scholarship linemen. We're a better O-Line today than we were at the end of the year.
• Thank goodness we red shirted Blaise Andries.
• . We didn't get selfish last year. He will slide inside from offensive tackle to guard, PJ Fleck said.
• On Daniel Faalele - He didn't lose an offseason tug-of-war and it wasn't even close guys.
• We are going to have a lot more depth and creativity on defense than we did last year. A lot more options, some won't be here until June. We're a little thin in the spring.
• Secondary - We've got 4 freshmen coming in that are going to have to help us, we knew we were going to be thin. Thomas dominated the offseason, watch what he's done athletically, socially and academically, he's bought in. Shenault - we're going to cross-train, as well as Winfield Jr. What do we mean, safety, corner.
• Adam Beck is going to have to grow up, and help us before the 4 freshmen get there.
• Winfield - he's going to be healthy. He has to prove nothing to me, he's a great football player. I want to make sure he can get to Saturdays and perform even better. He's not in a competition battle.
• Rodney Smith doesn't need to prove anything to me on offense
• Shannon Brooks will be out for the 2018 season, he had a non-contact injury. We will redshirt him. He's been incredibly positive about it. It's kind of a blessing in his own eyes of how he can continue to get better and mature. I look at it and say - I'm glad we're going to have in 2019.

• What made guys buy in? Time. You didn't pick me but I picked you, I'm going to prove to you I'm who I say I am, and you'll prove to me you are who you say you are. You'll either fit, or you won't. The guys that are here are all in.
• OJ Smith - our D Line, I'm excited about these guys. I love that 5-6 guys interiorly. I haven't had OJ play for us yes, we improved in every area of the weight room, absolutely dominated it. We're a stronger football team, and more developed and closer football team than we've ever been. Up to today.
• I want my assistants to move on, get better jobs, there are guys that fit, that don't fit. The 3 guys that we brought in, Patterson - one of the great young offensive minds. He's really dove right in and been tremendous for our tight ends, and going a great job in recruiting. Mo leaving? That's a compliment. We're going to get this point where it will be difficult for assistants to leave, where you can say this is a football powerhouse….until then, money gets in the way, and you can afford that assistant anymore. I want my coaches to grow, and not be selfish. That's a compliment to the U of MN that others want our people and coaching.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

On O-Line as of today.

LT- Greene
LG- Olson
C- Weyler
RG- Andries
RT- Schlueter

Also mentioned Dovich as swing man, Andries could swing out to tackle, mentioned Schmitz will be good.

Said the early enrollees on OL have "kept their mouths shut" and been accepted into the group.

On O-Line as of today.

LT- Greene
LG- Olson
C- Weyler
RG- Andries
RT- Schlueter

Also mentioned Dovich as swing man, Andries could swing out to tackle, mentioned Schmitz will be good.

Said the early enrollees on OL have "kept their mouths shut" and been accepted into the group.

I (and many others, not a unique take) believe the O line will be much better, that only will help the offense

Running back Shannon Brooks will miss the entire 2018 season with a leg injury

by: Daniel House

Running back Shannon Brooks suffered a non-contact lower leg injury and will miss the entire 2018 season.

“He suffered a lower leg injury in one of our last days of winter conditioning,” P.J. Fleck said Tuesday. “[It was a] non-contact injury. That’s unfortunate, obviously, that’s not the news everyone wants to hear,” Fleck said.

Head coach P.J. Fleck said Brooks will have surgery soon in preparation for a 2019 return. The senior running back will receive a medical redshirt to return next year. Minnesota will now rely on young running backs like Mohamed Ibrahim, Dominik London, Nolan Edmonds, and Jonathan Femi-Cole to cement themselves as a complementary to senior Rodney Smith. The team may also decide to use freshman Bryce Williams in this role. Fleck said they will rotate running backs this spring to find the additional running back.

“The pair and spare will kind of be by committee until we find out who those guys are,” Fleck said. "Because one door closes, that doesn't mean that's the only door. Now the other guys' door has opened."

Brooks played in six games last season and rushed 79 times for 369 yards and five touchdowns. He has missed the better part of three seasons with ankle injuries and concussions. He will serve as a coach during the 2018 season, a role P.J. Fleck believes he will benefit from.

“The greatest form of mastery is to be able to teach it,” Fleck said.

On O-Line as of today.

LT- Greene
LG- Olson
C- Weyler
RG- Andries
RT- Schlueter

Schmitz is my favorite lineman

Good Info. Thanks GL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sucks about Brooks. I'm glad he's staying positive though.

On O-Line as of today.

LT- Greene
LG- Olson
C- Weyler
RG- Andries
RT- Schlueter

Is Oseland in the mix? Has he not developed like they had hoped? He was a pretty highly recruited guy out of high school.

Does anybody else read quotes from Fleck super fast? I cant help but to read them just like how I imagine he says them.

Terrible news.

Despite the spin Fleck is attempting, I doubt Brooks is back in 2019. There was some doubt about him returning for 2018 after all the concussion issues he's suffered.

Does anybody else read quotes from Fleck super fast? I cant help but to read them just like how I imagine he says them.

Try reading them like Morgan Freeman would say them. It's a lot more relaxing.

we-all-love-morgan-freeman_o_1205044.jpg

Go Gophers!!

Terrible news.

Despite the spin Fleck is attempting, I doubt Brooks is back in 2019. There was some doubt about him returning for 2018 after all the concussion issues he's suffered.

I wouldn't be surprised if he called it quits

Why? Maybe he loves playing football. Maybe he loves the U of M. Maybe he wants to stick around and get another free year of tuition and start working on his masters. Maybe he even likes PJ Fleck.

That is too bad. Some players just can't shake the injury bug. But, when one door closes another one opens up. Maybe that is why PJ Fleck is letting Shannon help with the coaching of RBs.

David Cobb is a prime example of not giving up on players. He just needed an attitude adjustment and Donnell Kirkwood's injury to get his chance. Likewise, Seth Greene may surprise us in some capacity.

Is this just a MN fan thing or is there really proof that he may leave?

I believe that West Fargo is speculating that due to past concussion issues, he COULD decide to hang up the cleats. This was also speculated at the end of last season.

Is this just a MN fan thing or is there really proof that he may leave?

I've only ever seen it discussed on GH amongst posters. So, I am uncertain how legitimate those concerns could really be.

I'll cross my fingers that he is back.... yet to be mentioned??? Possibility of the dreaded graduate transfer elsewhere after rehabbing here.

Probably hasn't been mentioned because it really wouldn't make any sense for him to do that unless he thought there was zero chance he would get any playing time in 2019 in which case it wouldn't matter anyway.

Hopefully he can get healthy and back on the field at some point. Kid has a lot of talent, just can't stay healthy.

I'm wondering if we've seen the last run of Brooks already. With the concussion issues and now this, he very well may not come back. I hope I'm wrong.

It'll be interesting to see them compete, but I'm not convinced Viramontes will be the starter next season. Morgan will have a good chance to win the job.

I'm wondering if we've seen the last run of Brooks already. With the concussion issues and now this, he very well may not come back. I hope I'm wrong.

Simply need to play it out. I'm sure he doesn't know himself as to his health. This injury may be a blessing, if there is one, that allows him to regroup, get healthy as to concussion issues if there are still there. No way anyone can predict the results of this one.

It'll be interesting to see them compete, but I'm not convinced Viramontes will be the starter next season. Morgan will have a good chance to win the job.

I feel the same way. PJ talked up Morgan a lot last year. I got the impression it was some legit praise.

Oh man. Another leadership vs potential/talent two cooks in the kitchen scenario brewing? Unless VV is legit awful at the pass have to think he has the inside lane at this point. Maybe Morgan will surprise - will be fun to watch the spring game for hints on where these guys are at.

Top Bottom