Pitino on IW mid-season: "I wasn’t sure if he was going to be able to make it here."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Pitino on IW mid-season: "I wasn’t sure if he was going to be able to make it here."

per Shama:

In Minnesota’s finale, a 65-54 loss to Rutgers last week in New York City, Washington led the Gophers in scoring with 18 points. In seven of the last nine games he scored in double figures. Coach Richard Pitino was asked about the former New York state Mr. Basketball during the Minnesota postgame radio show.

“That’s the silver lining,” Pitino said. “As hard as this was to endure, I thought Isaiah…I wasn’t sure if he was going to be able to make it here. I really wasn’t, and I think the last month he has taken a major step forward just as a basketball player and as a person.”

Washington finds himself compared with former Maple Grove all-stater Brad Davison who made the Big Ten All-Freshman team this season while starting for Wisconsin. Even as a first-year player, Davison emerged as a leader and popular player for the Badgers. He finished second on the team in scoring at 12.1 points per game.

The Gophers need Washington as a successor to Nate Mason at point guard. If Washington isn’t around then the point guard job might go to either shooting guard Dupree McBrayer or small forward Amir Coffey. A missing Washington would not only leave Minnesota looking at other options for point guard, but further reduce team depth which was lacking this season and must improve in 2018-2019.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Badgers can have Davison. The "if Washington isn't around" comment is a bit off-putting given IW is perfectly positioned for next year; however, Coffey would get a lot of run at PG if that happens.

Badgers can have Davison. The "if Washington isn't around" comment is a bit off-putting given IW is perfectly positioned for next year; however, Coffey would get a lot of run at PG if that happens.

I wonder if Shama is just a poor writer or he intentionally stirs the pot with between the lines "he's thinking about transferring" crap.

One handed PG would be interesting.

per Pitino's blog:

Isaiah Washington - Showed improvement at the end of the season. I'm not going to lie. I had my concerns if he would ever get it. The biggest reason why he improved was his body language. He stopped approaching practice as a punishment but more as an opportunity to get better. He's only a freshman so it's going to take time. Great opportunities lie ahead for him in the future. He can't get complacent. Must ignore the poison of social media and live in the real world.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/030618aaa.html

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom