Goodbye one-and-done: With scandals rocking youth basketball, NBA readying to step in

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

In 2005, then-NBA commissioner David Stern celebrated a victory when he successfully created an age limit -- a player had to be 19 years old or one year removed from his high school class graduation to be drafted -- that accomplished his goal of removing pro scouts from high school gyms.

Now, though, there is turbulence, as the underbelly in the youth and college basketball systems is being exposed. The NBA has watched it unfold. Seeing both a responsibility as the world's leading basketball league and an opportunity to move in on valuable territory, the league is preparing to get involved again with elite high school basketball players, multiple sources told ESPN.

Current NBA commissioner Adam Silver and several of his top advisers have been engaged in listening tours and information-gathering missions with an array of stakeholders for months. That has included formal meetings with the National Basketball Players Association about adjusting the so-called "one-and-done" age-limit rule. But Silver's aim is much more comprehensive than simply re-opening the door for 18-year-olds to play in the NBA, sources said.

A plan is expected to include the NBA starting relationships with elite teenagers while they are in high school, providing skills to help them develop both on and off the court. It would ultimately open an alternate path to the NBA besides playing in college and a way 18-year-olds could earn a meaningful salary either from NBA teams or as part of an enhanced option in the developmental G League, sources said.

The NBA is focusing on getting involved in two important periods in which they currently have minimal contact with prospects: the high school years and the time between high school graduation and when a young player is physically and emotionally ready to join the NBA.

Silver could present a plan within the next few months, though the league is planning to wait until after the Commission on College Basketball presents its report this spring. Both Silver and NBPA executive director Michele Roberts have appeared before the commission, which is chaired by Condoleezza Rice.

"We are looking at changing the relationship we have with players before they reach the NBA," one high-ranking league official said. "This is a complex challenge, and there's still a lot of discussion about how it's going to happen, but we all see the need to step in."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...et-involved-high-school-level-once-again-espn

Go Gophers!!

I would like to see the NBA follow a system like baseball. If a player wants to go pro right out of HS, fine. Let him start his pro career in the G league if necessary. But, if a player doesn't go pro right out of HS, then he has to spend at least 3 years in college before he can be re-drafted. Basically, tell the "one-and-dones" that they need to make a choice between pro ball and college.

it would be interesting to see kids have to choose between playing on National TV for Duke - or playing in Sioux Falls in front of a few hundred fans.

yes, this would mean some of the best HS kids might never go to college, but it would also mean that the next rung of players would be in college for three years, so college coaches would have a little more roster certainty.

It would also be fun watching some of the top college coaches go ballistic if the NBA is telling the top recruits to skip college and go pro right out of HS.

I would like to see the NBA follow a system like baseball. If a player wants to go pro right out of HS, fine. Let him start his pro career in the G league if necessary. But, if a player doesn't go pro right out of HS, then he has to spend at least 3 years in college before he can be re-drafted. Basically, tell the "one-and-dones" that they need to make a choice between pro ball and college.

it would be interesting to see kids have to choose between playing on National TV for Duke - or playing in Sioux Falls in front of a few hundred fans.

yes, this would mean some of the best HS kids might never go to college, but it would also mean that the next rung of players would be in college for three years, so college coaches would have a little more roster certainty.

It would also be fun watching some of the top college coaches go ballistic if the NBA is telling the top recruits to skip college and go pro right out of HS.

That is bound to happen like it does in hockey and baseball. Especially if the NBA gets confident in its own minor league and its ability to develop players. As in baseball, the kid and his family will need to make a decision, and a big part of it will be whether the signing bonus is enough to make it worthwhile to skip college. The NBA will make it clear by that offer about their confidence level in the player making it. The risk from college basketball side is that there end up being a lot more guys going into minor league than there are now, severely reducing the talent in college basketball. How many of the "top 100" would go G league instead of college?

Despite losing some great youngsters, the quality of college basketball could actually improve.

The interest in the G-League would go way up too, currently there are a lot of players there that are never going to be on an NBA roster.

I also hope they go to a system similar to what baseball does. Let those kids that have zero interest in college go straight to the G-League or some other developmental group. I also agree that this could actually improve the overall quality of college basketball because coaches would have time to work with guys and get them into their system as opposed to the 1 and done crowd that is really just in it for themselves.

I am sure it wouldn't stop it but it certainly would put a bit of damper on the rampant cheating in college basketball as coaches do anything and everything to get that star player to put them over the top.

The mind boggling thing, to me, is that in the past their used to be at most 8 or 10 guys go directly to the NBA.

Now the top 20 guys are freshman.

If they open up the draft to HSers again the majority of the top 50 could declare if the current trend continues. How many open spots do these kids think are available each year anyway?

Let those kids that have zero interest in college go straight to the G-League or some other developmental group.

Players already can go straight to the G League out of high school. Very few do, because in spite of the constant whining and attempts at forcing schools to pay players, nearly all of them would rather play in college than earn $26,000 (at most) playing in the G League in front of a couple thousand fans per game.

Jay Bilas commented allowing players to declare for the NBA draft out of high school will solve nothing. College basketball had the same problems it currently does before requiring players to attend college for one year. And the same problems will still be there all over again by allowing kids to join the NBA out of high school.
What is short sighted about dissolving the one year requirement is missing out on the relationships with people like Kevin Durant who donated a lot of money to his college, Texas. He mentioned a couple others and said one year of college is better than none for all of these kids. Many think they will only go one year but decide to continue their college education.
I thought those were all valid points.

Jay Bilas commented allowing players to declare for the NBA draft out of high school will solve nothing. College basketball had the same problems it currently does before requiring players to attend college for one year. And the same problems will still be there all over again by allowing kids to join the NBA out of high school.
What is short sighted about dissolving the one year requirement is missing out on the relationships with people like Kevin Durant who donated a lot of money to his college, Texas. He mentioned a couple others and said one year of college is better than none for all of these kids. Many think they will only go one year but decide to continue their college education.
I thought those were all valid points.

That is a very good point. I know Kyrie still does a lot of donations for Duke even though he was out most of his one year there with injuries. No matter if kids are allowed to go straight from high school or not shady side deals will always be in place. If it isn't those top 20 kids in the rankings getting deals, the next 20 will become coveted. Its like a chain effect. Instead of Duke getting Bagley and Arizona getting Ayton, they now get the best of the lower 5 stars and the high 4 stars. It basically pushes all the school back.

Overall, I don't really care what the NBA/NCAA end up doing, but it would be nice to see kids have an option where they could stay in America to play while getting paid. There would be a lot of money lost with the NCAA, if the top player were able to go and play in the G-League. Much of the tv time is on the kids who are projected to go 1-15 in the NBA draft anyways. This would take some of that intrigue away. I'd watch Gophers basketball no matter what, but as a whole the NCAA wouldn't be as exciting

That is a very good point. I know Kyrie still does a lot of donations for Duke even though he was out most of his one year there with injuries. No matter if kids are allowed to go straight from high school or not shady side deals will always be in place. If it isn't those top 20 kids in the rankings getting deals, the next 20 will become coveted. Its like a chain effect. Instead of Duke getting Bagley and Arizona getting Ayton, they now get the best of the lower 5 stars and the high 4 stars. It basically pushes all the school back.

Overall, I don't really care what the NBA/NCAA end up doing, but it would be nice to see kids have an option where they could stay in America to play while getting paid. There would be a lot of money lost with the NCAA, if the top player were able to go and play in the G-League. Much of the tv time is on the kids who are projected to go 1-15 in the NBA draft anyways. This would take some of that intrigue away. I'd watch Gophers basketball no matter what, but as a whole the NCAA wouldn't be as exciting

Again, HS players can currently play in the G League after graduating.

Keep shouting it. No one cares because it doesn't fit the narrative.

The most impactful thing Bilas stated the other day, for me, was that if an assistant coach is worth 500k/yr you cant tell me that these schools cannot afford to pay the players a bit more.

That said, paying them more won't solve for the singular talents garnering $100k duffle bags. The only thing stopping that is for the schools/NCAA to care as much about that transaction as it does when a kid smokes a joint or eats a sandwich.

Once a system like that was in place, it would be more difficult for the top programs to continually attract the top talent as they will already have guys locked into scholarships for a longer period of time. As an example, with Duke having Bagley and Trent as guys who would be one and done now, if this rule were implemented I doubt Duke would be able to attract a top shooting guard or power forward again until those two left the program in three years.

Turn 18 or graduate?

Good point - I don't know whether they need to actually have a HS diploma or not. The point is, there is an option for 18-year-olds to play professionally in the U.S. As Winasota said, people ignore this inconvenient truth because it precludes them from whining about the NCAA.

Good point - I don't know whether they need to actually have a HS diploma or not. The point is, there is an option for 18-year-olds to play professionally in the U.S. As Winasota said, people ignore this inconvenient truth because it precludes them from whining about the NCAA.

Just want to make sure you remain your accurate, detailed self.

But - if the NBA starts really pushing the G League as a viable option, then the HS kids who go pro immediately are probably going to be making more than $26,000. If a Gary Trent, for example, skips college to go into the G-League, I would expect some guaranteed money up front - likely in the form of a signing bonus - and a two-way salary. depending on whether they're playing G-League or get called up to the NBA.

I also think this could be good for the college game in the long run. there might be less star power without the 1-and-dones, and you would not see the 'super' teams like Kentucky or Duke - but it would give more teams a chance to win a conference or win a national title. and, if more teams had guys playing 3 or 4 years, the level of play might even improve.

It really isn't an option right now because G-League streams its games on Facebook live, while the NCAA plays on every national sports channel. The NBA has just recently started to care about the G-League, and with them almost reaching the point with every team owning their separate team they can finally start to mold it into a true development league for each team. Then it would be an attractive option for high school kids. Why go to a place where no one will see you, when you can go to a college team and get tons of exposure?

Once a system like that was in place, it would be more difficult for the top programs to continually attract the top talent as they will already have guys locked into scholarships for a longer period of time. As an example, with Duke having Bagley and Trent as guys who would be one and done now, if this rule were implemented I doubt Duke would be able to attract a top shooting guard or power forward again until those two left the program in three years.

I stand corrected! I guess when I kept thinking about it, my mind was still thinking about the one and done thing. When truly a college baseball rule would very much impact recruiting. Good post, it would make for much better competition throughout college basketball.

It really isn't an option right now because G-League streams its games on Facebook live, while the NCAA plays on every national sports channel. The NBA has just recently started to care about the G-League, and with them almost reaching the point with every team owning their separate team they can finally start to mold it into a true development league for each team. Then it would be an attractive option for high school kids. Why go to a place where no one will see you, when you can go to a college team and get tons of exposure?

You are almost proving dpod's point. Players are finding the college model more attractive than the minor league pro model because it provides a better opportunity for them. The NBA loves making money, so they are investing in the G league whatever it is worth to them already. There just isn't a lucrative market for second tier professional basketball.

The NCAA recruiting system is and always has been corrupt. No matter what rules for HS players eligibility you make there will still be cheaters as long as there is money to be made. I'd like to see something radical like a switch to some kind of recruiting restriction like they used to have for the WNBA draft to get players to play closer to their home.

Such as:

1. Any team with a recruiting or academic infraction is limited to recruiting within 250 miles of their campus or in-state for the next three years.

2. Zone increases in size for every five years of non-cheating. So at the 5 year mark you can go 500 miles, 10 years 1000, 15 years 1500.

3. International players are free game except for teams included in rule 1.

Players home is determined by their Sophmore and Junior years of HS.

I'd love to see Duke, UNC and NC State all restricted to North Carolina for three years!

You are almost proving dpod's point. Players are finding the college model more attractive than the minor league pro model because it provides a better opportunity for them. The NBA loves making money, so they are investing in the G league whatever it is worth to them already. There just isn't a lucrative market for second tier professional basketball.

BINGO!

The NCAA recruiting system is and always has been corrupt. No matter what rules for HS players eligibility you make there will still be cheaters as long as there is money to be made. I'd like to see something radical like a switch to some kind of recruiting restriction like they used to have for the WNBA draft to get players to play closer to their home.

Such as:

1. Any team with a recruiting or academic infraction is limited to recruiting within 250 miles of their campus or in-state for the next three years.

2. Zone increases in size for every five years of non-cheating. So at the 5 year mark you can go 500 miles, 10 years 1000, 15 years 1500.

3. International players are free game except for teams included in rule 1.

Players home is determined by their Sophmore and Junior years of HS.

I'd love to see Duke, UNC and NC State all restricted to North Carolina for three years!

You can make a 1000 more rules, to your point, they will cheat.

They need to spend some of the money that is going to coaches and universities on enforcement of the current rules first. If that doesn't happen, then you've just got more rules to not enforce.

And on the side, the players should get paid some more so there isn't this desire to cheat. They are cheating for a reason, because it's worth it.

I can guarantee, that if a rule is put in place where kids must either attend college for 2 or 3 years, that many of the highly ranked kids will go and play their one year in the G-League. As it stand right now, the G-League is not a viable option. Why would Ayton want to go play in the G-League for 26,000 a year when he can make 100,000 going to play for Arizona?

Dpo can say all he wants about high schoolers going to play in the G-League right now, but they won't, the ones who would are the one and done kids and they get more incentives (Money, Cars, etc..) to play in the NCAA. So as I've said, until the NBA puts together a solid strategy for the direction of G-League these college scandals will still occur. If the kids get caught, they have no care in the world. They go onto get drafted, while the school is the one that pays. (Agents paying kids/family, and coaches could have no knowledge of it)

I can guarantee, that if a rule is put in place where kids must either attend college for 2 or 3 years, that many of the highly ranked kids will go and play their one year in the G-League. As it stand right now, the G-League is not a viable option. Why would Ayton want to go play in the G-League for 26,000 a year when he can make 100,000 going to play for Arizona?

Dpo can say all he wants about high schoolers going to play in the G-League right now, but they won't, the ones who would are the one and done kids and they get more incentives (Money, Cars, etc..) to play in the NCAA. So as I've said, until the NBA puts together a solid strategy for the direction of G-League these college scandals will still occur. If the kids get caught, they have no care in the world. They go onto get drafted, while the school is the one that pays. (Agents paying kids/family, and coaches could have no knowledge of it)

Again, you're making my argument for me - the correct argument that I've been making for years. No quality option exists in the U.S. for 18-year-olds to play professional basketball because it isn't a viable and sustainable model. If it were, someone would be doing it and making a lot of money on it. I'm not making any argument that 18-year-olds are or should be playing in the G League - merely countering the incorrect assertion that no option exists in the U.S.

That is bound to happen like it does in hockey and baseball. Especially if the NBA gets confident in its own minor league and its ability to develop players. As in baseball, the kid and his family will need to make a decision, and a big part of it will be whether the signing bonus is enough to make it worthwhile to skip college. The NBA will make it clear by that offer about their confidence level in the player making it. The risk from college basketball side is that there end up being a lot more guys going into minor league than there are now, severely reducing the talent in college basketball. How many of the "top 100" would go G league instead of college?

As if the NBA was good at keeping their players out of trouble. How good at babysitting will the NBA be with their 17 & 18 year old youngsters? What about the disparity for pay in their new league. Will potential "superstars" be paid so much that some of the other young players will get discontented?

Let the NBA take on ALL the problems...incredible failures...disappointments...problems with the law...accidental over-doses...immature flame-outs and promises to momma and papa. Who will be responsible for what? What coach will be able to deal with ALL the ego-problems that the colleges currently have to deal with? And will this start cutting into the NBA veteran endorsement deals and contracts with shoe companies and the like. Who will be the first 18 year old to file bankruptcy?

Mr. Silver: you are NOT a genius. NBA owners: you have not yet begun to realize the liabilities you are contemplating taking on. At least, in the college ranks...the STAR players usually don't all end up in the same conference, division, on the same 12 player team. I see this as a day dream just waiting to become a a 24hour a day x 365 day per year nightmare for the NBA. The college game would possibly return to being a college sponsored activity which would probably be a much better deal for all the colleges involved. Possibly, winning conference games would become more important than "making the tournament..." I hope Silver makes it happen: HI-HO SILVER: AWAY...as the Lone Ranger used to say!

That lucrative market is college basketball. The NBA needs college basketball to succeed and continue to feed them talent and nationally known talent. The only tweak that should be made is that HS kids can go to NBA Draft and if not drafted go to college.

Maybe Trump could step in and tax the earnings of athletic programs found guilty of recruiting violations!

Would a financial hit to their funding of non-revenue sports cause them to straighten themselves out?

That lucrative market is college basketball. The NBA needs college basketball to succeed and continue to feed them talent and nationally known talent. The only tweak that should be made is that HS kids can go to NBA Draft and if not drafted go to college.

I think you're missing the point of the original story. The NBA is openly considering alternates to the current system. In short, the NBA is at least thinking about cutting the colleges out of the equation for the top-level HS players.

But, for that to happen, as DP and others point out, the NBA will have to offer the top HS players a financial incentive. Under today's system, if a kid is choosing between playing G-League or playing for Duke or Kentucky, it's no choice. BUT, if that same kid can sign a pro contract, get a signing bonus for (let's speculate) $500,000 and a G-League salary of at least $100,000 - then it's a different proposition. And, that kid doesn't have to worry about going to college classes or dealing with college eligibility requirements. (or an EOAA investigation if he's getting busy with a female admirer). Plus, he's playing in a pro system for pro coaches - with maybe an invitation to the NBA training camp before the G-League rosters are set.

Under that scenario, I could see a lot more of the top HS players skipping college and going pro. The other piece of the puzzle is TV. If the G-League becomes a showcase for some of the best young players in the country, then I could see a TV deal looming. At the very least, NBA TV could show G-League games and there could be a G-League Game of the Week on ESPN or FS1. I could see one of the streaming services grabbing up a G-League rights deal.

College basketball would still survive. They just wouldn't have some of the top-level HS kids.

I think you're missing the point of the original story. The NBA is openly considering alternates to the current system. In short, the NBA is at least thinking about cutting the colleges out of the equation for the top-level HS players.

But, for that to happen, as DP and others point out, the NBA will have to offer the top HS players a financial incentive. Under today's system, if a kid is choosing between playing G-League or playing for Duke or Kentucky, it's no choice. BUT, if that same kid can sign a pro contract, get a signing bonus for (let's speculate) $500,000 and a G-League salary of at least $100,000 - then it's a different proposition. And, that kid doesn't have to worry about going to college classes or dealing with college eligibility requirements. (or an EOAA investigation if he's getting busy with a female admirer). Plus, he's playing in a pro system for pro coaches - with maybe an invitation to the NBA training camp before the G-League rosters are set.

Under that scenario, I could see a lot more of the top HS players skipping college and going pro. The other piece of the puzzle is TV. If the G-League becomes a showcase for some of the best young players in the country, then I could see a TV deal looming. At the very least, NBA TV could show G-League games and there could be a G-League Game of the Week on ESPN or FS1. I could see one of the streaming services grabbing up a G-League rights deal.

College basketball would still survive. They just wouldn't have some of the top-level HS kids.

You make too much sense Sir!

Top Bottom