Gophers start spring football on Tuesday; here’s what they need to work on

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Here are three key storylines headed into spring practices:

STARTING QUARTERBACK
A year ago, the Gophers had only a morsel of Big Ten experience at the most important position on the field, a large reason for the U’s 122nd-ranked passing offense. This year, Minnesota has even less experience at quarterback even as expectations grow.

UP FRONT
The Gophers lost a trio of defensive tackles in Steven Richardson, Andrew Stelter and Merrick Jackson from 2017. Fleck mentioned interior linemen such as Gary Moore, Royal Silver and Nate Umlor — who played end as a true freshman last year — as the key reinforcements. In addition, tackle O.J. Smith, an Alabama transfer, will be an intriguing player to watch after sitting out last season.

PERIMETER PLAYERS
The receiving corps is the primary position that must improve in 2018. Leading receiver Tyler Johnson was lost to a broken hand/wrist for the final two games, and big target Rashad Still never matured, or played much, throughout the season.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/03/...l-on-tuesday-heres-what-they-need-to-work-on/

Go Gophers!!

I'm always optimistic (perhaps unreasonably so - I openly predicted a 9-3 mark last season). That said, I'm excited about Viramontes. And I'm not sure he's less experienced than Croft and Rhoda. Less Big Ten experience, obviously. But he's played a lot more college ball than those other two did before last year.

Why am I worried about the DL? With Steve Richardson and company gone, there are some big shoes to fill.

This season experience-wise for everyone involved including the QBs is an important one. How they play regardless of a win or a loss will set the Gophers for success in 2019 and 2020.

Hoping they practice outside...Bold North!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A slight exaggeration?

Faalele (6-foot-9, 400 pounds) and only-slightly-smaller guard Curtis Dunlap (6-5, 370).

Me watching all the new guys play this year is going to be a combo of:

KDQ5OZ2.gif

and

9unfFH5.gif

Can’t build muscle/strengthand lose weight at the same time. At least I’ve never been able to do that. Perhaps with the miracle of modern medicine...

Can’t build muscle/strengthand lose weight at the same time. At least I’ve never been able to do that. Perhaps with the miracle of modern medicine...

but think about the potential. they carried that weight before but now some of that weight is turned to muscle and they keep their already impressive agility
If we are able to red shirt them and build them into dominate BigTen linemen along with some other guys we got in the system and those waiting to join in the coming years PJ might be able to put a boat in that art fixture outside the Stadium oars and all!

but think about the potential. they carried that weight before but now some of that weight is turned to muscle and they keep their already impressive agility
If we are able to red shirt them and build them into dominate BigTen linemen along with some other guys we got in the system and those waiting to join in the coming years PJ might be able to put a boat in that art fixture outside the Stadium oars and all!

Are we engineering these kids now?

Top Bottom