new rule I would like to see

book

Reaction score
Offensive fouls would be a turnover but not a personal foul. That would probably penalize the Badgers though.

Why would you want that to change?

I don't like it. Players should have consequences on the offensive end for getting in foul trouble. When a ball handler or post player gets in foul trouble, they have to be more conservative going to the basket and are more likely to pass the ball and make mistakes. It also affects the other team, as the guys guarding them (who could also be in foul trouble) are a lot less likely to get called for a foul if the opponent is avoiding contact for fear of a charge. It totally changes the game. Especially for teams that leverage defense and the clock to their advantage (Virginia, Wisconsin, etc).

If we need to constantly change rules to try and inflate offense, why not get rid of offensive fouls all together? Why don't we just take defense out of the game? I prefer lightning to HORSE, so I'd go that route. Maybe let the home team decide?

So a charge in the lane wouldn’t be a foul? Sorry, can’t get behind that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just go to 6 fouls.

I would oppose this too. 5 fouls is plenty for 40 minutes. Depth is important in team sports, so I like to see teams who are able to succeed despite going to their bench for could trouble. Also, a lower foul limit puts a premium on defending effectively without fouling.

Maybe go to the NBA rule where offensive fouls don't count as team fouls. The turnover is enough punishment.

I would oppose this too. 5 fouls is plenty for 40 minutes. Depth is important in team sports, so I like to see teams who are able to succeed despite going to their bench for could trouble. Also, a lower foul limit puts a premium on defending effectively without fouling.

I don't necessarily think it's about the players. It's also about quality of officials and bad calls. 2 fouls would not put players on the bench for 15 minutes of 1st half. Five fouls is fine in HS, but in college there is a shot clock that pushes action to the basket every 20-30 seconds.

Maybe go to the NBA rule where offensive fouls don't count as team fouls. The turnover is enough punishment.

I think they looked at resetting team fouls at the 10 minute mark and allowing 5 each 10 minutes.

Here are the rules for the NIT this year. https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-02-27/experimental-rules-be-used-nit

The 2018 NIT will feature four rules modifications:

​• The three-point line will be extended by approximately 1 foot 8 inches to the same distance used by FIBA for international competition (22 feet 1.75 inches).
​• The free throw lane will be widened from 12 feet to 16 feet, consistent with the width used by the NBA.
​• The games will be divided into four 10-minute quarters as opposed to two 20-minute halves. Teams will shoot two free throws beginning with the fifth foul of each quarter.
• The shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of the full 30 seconds.

I'd personally like to see a "flop" call. If a player blatantly flops it should be a technical foul and when a player accumulates 5 flops in a season, he has to sit out a game. Make it harsh to deter certain teams from doing it.

"Cough Brad Davison Cough"

I think they looked at resetting team fouls at the 10 minute mark and allowing 5 each 10 minutes.

Here are the rules for the NIT this year. https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-02-27/experimental-rules-be-used-nit

The 2018 NIT will feature four rules modifications:

​• The three-point line will be extended by approximately 1 foot 8 inches to the same distance used by FIBA for international competition (22 feet 1.75 inches).
​• The free throw lane will be widened from 12 feet to 16 feet, consistent with the width used by the NBA.
​• The games will be divided into four 10-minute quarters as opposed to two 20-minute halves. Teams will shoot two free throws beginning with the fifth foul of each quarter.
• The shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of the full 30 seconds.

Of those rules, the one I see sticking is the 4 ten minute periods. It seems to work well in the women's game.

I don't necessarily think it's about the players. It's also about quality of officials and bad calls. 2 fouls would not put players on the bench for 15 minutes of 1st half. Five fouls is fine in HS, but in college there is a shot clock that pushes action to the basket every 20-30 seconds.

I also believe that two fouls don't put a player on the bench, the coach does. No rule prevents a coach from trusting a player to defend without fouling.

I also believe that two fouls don't put a player on the bench, the coach does. No rule prevents a coach from trusting a player to defend without fouling.

Is he not trusting the player or the officials?

I'd like college to adopt the delay of game/free throw after a made basket and the scoring team touches the ball. To me, it's picked up the pace/efficiency post basket in the NBA and now it annoys me when I see college players throwing the ball to the ref or knocking it away from the inbounding team.

I'd like college to adopt the delay of game/free throw after a made basket and the scoring team touches the ball. To me, it's picked up the pace/efficiency post basket in the NBA and now it annoys me when I see college players throwing the ball to the ref or knocking it away from the inbounding team.

Pretty sure they do have the rule, it's about enforcing it. I agree with you. What annoys me is an official worried about bench players sitting down during play and distracting him from his job.

Pretty sure they do have the rule, it's about enforcing it. I agree with you. What annoys me is an official worried about bench players sitting down during play and distracting him from his job.

I don't think I've ever seen a delay of game in college hoops for that reason. If it exists, they really don't enforce it. I remember a lot of delay of games when the NBA first implemented it but now it's so much more clean.

I like it. These calls can be so 50/50. With defensive players going for charges all of the time instead of playing D, and college players only getting 5 fouls, charges have way too much of an impact on the game. Don't like over penalizing players for being aggressive and taking it to the rack. I just assume ban charges. That's probably too extreme, but i just hate the way the charge has taken over the game.

I don't think I've ever seen a delay of game in college hoops for that reason. If it exists, they really don't enforce it. I remember a lot of delay of games when the NBA first implemented it but now it's so much more clean.

From rule book on delay: f. Attempting to gain an advantage by interfering with the ball after a goal
or by failing to immediately pass the ball to the nearest official after a
whistle is blown (See Rule 10-4.1.l).

First a warning and then a technical foul.

I'd personally like to see a "flop" call. If a player blatantly flops it should be a technical foul and when a player accumulates 5 flops in a season, he has to sit out a game. Make it harsh to deter certain teams from doing it.

"Cough Brad Davison Cough"

Yes please

Of those rules, the one I see sticking is the 4 ten minute periods. It seems to work well in the women's game.

Wonder how much of a break between periods (1-2 3-4). Starters are going to play longer probably as they would get another rest.

Wonder how much of a break between periods (1-2 3-4). Starters are going to play longer probably as they would get another rest.

There is one less TV time or per half. There is an after 5, and the quarter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adopt the North Korean rules while we're at it.

Dunks are worth three points rather than two.
Shots beyond the arc are still worth three points. However, if the shooter touches nothing but net, the three-pointer becomes a four-pointer.
1 point deducted for a missed free throws.
A made basket taken from anywhere on the court during the final three seconds of a game is worth eight points.

To keep the game moving, the rule I would like to see is eliminate all substitutions after made free throws except for the shooter. Way to much time is wasted with these substitutions. Got someone tired or in foul trouble replace him before the free throw. In this way after a made free throw, the offending team can get the ball and go. Coaches that want to press, will have to have it organized so that it is ready to go after a made free throw instead of subbing in and "buy" time to get it set up.

Adopt the North Korean rules while we're at it.

Dunks are worth three points rather than two.
Shots beyond the arc are still worth three points. However, if the shooter touches nothing but net, the three-pointer becomes a four-pointer.
1 point deducted for a missed free throws.
A made basket taken from anywhere on the court during the final three seconds of a game is worth eight points.

Well, yeah.. if a 4'-8" North Korean dunks one it should be worth 3.

;\

I'd do away with the disqualification after 5 fouls. Give the coach the choice of leaving a star player in the game in exchange for free throws and possession. Still a big penalty, but it would keep the good players in the game.

I'd do away with the disqualification after 5 fouls. Give the coach the choice of leaving a star player in the game in exchange for free throws and possession. Still a big penalty, but it would keep the good players in the game.

No, the Big East tried that one year and it was a disaster.

I watch college over NBA because it is disciplined basketball. 5 fouls have a lot to do with it, along with calling travelling and carries witch are not called in the NBA.

The NBA game is 48 minutes long. With 6 fouls before disqualification, that is 8 minutes allowed per game minute, the exact same as 5 fouls in the 40 minute college game.

Basketball is a beautiful game when it flows up and down the floor. Free throws slow the game down and are boring to watch. Keep track of free throws and shoot them all at once at the 10:00 mark of the first half, halftime, and 10:00 mark of the second half. Last ten minutes of game free throws would be shot as they are now.

Top Bottom