Tubby's rant

Reaction score
I agree.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I agree.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I agree with him. At the same time it's a little hypocritical coming from a coach that just quit on Texas Tech.

Seems that a big issue is all the guys that grad transfer and what that does to especially mid majors. I would guess the vast majority of transfers are grad transfers or guys that just want more playing time, like Gilbert last year. If the issue is playing time, would almost think coaches would be ok with that kid transferring who otherwise would be pouting because he's not seeing the floor.
On the other hand, maybe kids would be more circumspect in their college choice if they knew it wasn't so easy to transfer.

“We’re teaching them how to quit.”
“You made a commitment stick to it.”

Tubby has coached 6 different schools and only once he was fired. He left Tulsa, Georgia, UK & Texas Tech before his contract was up.

Tulsa and Tech he left before his first recruiting class could graduate https://twitter.com/local24clayton/status/970439245105123328

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't get the video to play so I am unable to respond to Tubby's comments.
In a world where each person gets to consider their opportunity cost, it seems hypocritical to say college students should not have that right while Tubby can exert that right anytime he wishes.
The ability of student athletes to choose their path is, in my opinion, a great opportunity for a young person to exhibit wise decision making that benefits their own career. Why should we bemoan that right to choose? Every adult makes those decisions with their life and career. Why deny that to students? I disagree that we are teaching athletes to be quitters. Instead I would say we are giving them the right to consider their opportunity-cost and live with the decision they make...just like every other adult gets to do.

Tubby has coached 6 different schools and only once he was fired. He left Tulsa, Georgia, UK & Texas Tech before his contract was up.

Tulsa and Tech he left before his first recruiting class could graduate https://twitter.com/local24clayton/status/970439245105123328

Actions say more than words, he is really as guilty as they come as far as loyalty and commitment are concerned.

He's right and wrong.

Major college athletics if a flawed system with the opportunity costs of sitting on the bench for a player trying to better themselves. In the 60s and 70s the opportunity cost of Tubby quitting were quite different than a kid today. That kid could quit at Memphis and get an education and a much greater opportunity to improve himself elsehwere. Not the same story.

Tubby will get headlines and agreement from a lot of people that harken for the old days of 4-year players (I'm included), but he's wrong in so many respects with whether or not those players should or shouldn't leave the program.

Layer on top the hypocrisy of quitting for a better opportunity and you got yourself a real mixed bag of takes. Perfect for sports talk.

He's right and wrong.

Major college athletics if a flawed system with the opportunity costs of sitting on the bench for a player trying to better themselves. In the 60s and 70s the opportunity cost of Tubby quitting were quite different than a kid today. That kid could quit at Memphis and get an education and a much greater opportunity to improve himself elsehwere. Not the same story.

Tubby will get headlines and agreement from a lot of people that harken for the old days of 4-year players (I'm included), but he's wrong in so many respects with whether or not those players should or shouldn't leave the program.

Layer on top the hypocrisy of quitting for a better opportunity and you got yourself a real mixed bag of takes. Perfect for sports talk.

Agree with everything you just said. +1

He's right and wrong.

This guy.

He's right and wrong.

Spot on.

We're the one job he didn't bail out on, and he played footsy with other schools every single year he was here with the possible exception of year 1.

Top Bottom