PJ Fleck Interview on Sports Huddle 3-4-18

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
PJ Fleck appeared on the Sports Huddle on Sunday, March 4th.

(Fleck's new time will be at 11:30am. Dave Mona noted "when he is available, which we hope will be almost every week.")

Sid: What's the big difference with spring practice this year opposed to last year.
PJ: not a ton of difference in terms of the schedule. Practice on Tues, Thurs, Sat. We will have some open practices, love the fans to show up. As far as the QB situation - have guys with no experience. last year we at least had a little experience. Spring practice is about finding out depth chart, finding out who's able to play. look forward to FR joining us in June. we are doing some things different internally with practices, but I don't know if anyone could tell outside of the coaches.

Sid: you're more healthy this year going into Spring.
PJ: lot of guys weren't involved in spring ball last year. last year had a lot of off-season surgeries. this year we do have some guys coming off surgery who are still going to be able to go through groups and walk-throughs, be involved in practice. Guys like Barber and Cashman - need their leadership, need their voices on the field. as far as the depth chart - we'll have a little depth in fall. the roster will still be 71% underclassman. I said we would get younger before we get experienced. rely on upperclassmen for experience.

Sid: is the depth on the team going to be better?
PJ: we'll have a little more depth. Spring ball is about getting to know the FB team, know its identity. you have some players leave the team because of the coaching change. Need the upperclassmen to do tremendous job of leading team. set example for younger players. FR will come in here in June. we will have to use a lot of them to fill depth issues.

Sid: OL should be big difference.
PJ: need to decide which ones will red-shirt, and which ones will play. It will still take another year to fix our numbers issue. we'll have 4 OL joining us in June. 3 started early. Need to decide who can and should help us this year. that's what Spring will clear up. Weyler and Green coming back. Connor Olson having one of best off-seasons. look forward to his leadership.

Mona: asks for update on extra year for Douglas, Winfield.
PJ: we filed all paperwork at the end of year. been talked about with doctors and NCAA. excited about getting extra year for both of them.

Sid: will you practice outside this Spring?
PJ: right now I can still see snow on the outdoor field. if it melts, we'll be outdoors - otherwise be indoors. we have one of the most beautiful indoor facilities in the country. last year we stayed outside because of issues with the old indoor facility, too close to the walls. this year, we'll do a lot more inside. beneficial for us to use. can turn heat up, turn it down. use it more than the old indoor facility. still want to be outside - will hold some practices at TCF. go back and forth between indoors and outdoors.

Max: have any of your punters been able to hit the ceiling in the new indoor facility?
PJ: I think Herbers did with one or two. but that's not the type of punt you'd do in a game. If you tell a punter he can't do it, he says "I'll hit the ceiling." (with the new indoor facility) we can practice our punt team, punt return. not have to simulate that.

Sid: lost some good defensive players
PJ: Richardson hard to replace. We have Gary Moore, Royal Silver; Umlor moved inside. some of new FR will come in here and help us to provide depth. that's the challenge. the depth is there, but 1st guy behind the starters won't be experienced.

Sid: QB?
I'm excited to see how battle pans out. both QB's, plus Green and Annexstad. see who rises to the top. look at the way Morgan has led in off-season. showing his natural leadership skills. Vic getting here early. jump-start what he can do. learn the offense, get into system. work out, get to know players. Seth Green having tremendous off-season. Coach C can develop them the right way. this competition is going into training camp. won't name starter after 15 spring practices.

Mona: training table. impressions
PJ: training center, nutrition, cafeteria - every one of the players says the food is elite. not one negative comment about food. so many people to thank for their investment in student-athletes. not just FB or basketball eating by themselves. 700 student athletes all bonding as Gophers

Sid: 7 guys coming in early
PJ: they're getting jump-start on career. have to be willing to give up finish to HS. excited about guys being there. did tremendous job adapting. Faalele, Dunlap get a jump-start on losing weight, working in a true D1 weight room astounding how much stronger we are compared to 3 months ago when season ended. even FR who came in in January, when we tested them, how much stronger they are now. have to become a mature FB team. players have responded. new Athletes village gives them every reason to stay around facility. otherwise, they're at their dorm or at class. great to see the players being together.

Sid: Murray's Certificate. Lot of ticket programs coming up at University. see a better team next fall
PJ: RTB. Ski-U-Mah.

PJ Fleck appeared on the Sports Huddle on Sunday, March 4th.

(Fleck's new time will be at 11:30am. Dave Mona noted "when he is available, which we hope will be almost every week.")

Sid: What's the big difference with spring practice this year opposed to last year.
PJ: not a ton of difference in terms of the schedule. Practice on Tues, Thurs, Sat. We will have some open practices, love the fans to show up. As far as the QB situation - have guys with no experience. last year we at least had a little experience. Spring practice is about finding out depth chart, finding out who's able to play. look forward to FR joining us in June. we are doing some things different internally with practices, but I don't know if anyone could tell outside of the coaches.

Sid: you're more healthy this year going into Spring.
PJ: lot of guys weren't involved in spring ball last year. last year had a lot of off-season surgeries. this year we do have some guys coming off surgery who are still going to be able to go through groups and walk-throughs, be involved in practice. Guys like Barber and Cashman - need their leadership, need their voices on the field. as far as the depth chart - we'll have a little depth in fall. the roster will still be 71% underclassman. I said we would get younger before we get experienced. rely on upperclassmen for experience.

Sid: is the depth on the team going to be better?
PJ: we'll have a little more depth. Spring ball is about getting to know the FB team, know its identity. you have some players leave the team because of the coaching change. Need the upperclassmen to do tremendous job of leading team. set example for younger players. FR will come in here in June. we will have to use a lot of them to fill depth issues.

Sid: OL should be big difference.
PJ: need to decide which ones will red-shirt, and which ones will play. It will still take another year to fix our numbers issue. we'll have 4 OL joining us in June. 3 started early. Need to decide who can and should help us this year. that's what Spring will clear up. Weyler and Green coming back. Connor Olson having one of best off-seasons. look forward to his leadership.

Mona: asks for update on extra year for Douglas, Winfield.
PJ: we filed all paperwork at the end of year. been talked about with doctors and NCAA. excited about getting extra year for both of them.

Sid: will you practice outside this Spring?
PJ: right now I can still see snow on the outdoor field. if it melts, we'll be outdoors - otherwise be indoors. we have one of the most beautiful indoor facilities in the country. last year we stayed outside because of issues with the old indoor facility, too close to the walls. this year, we'll do a lot more inside. beneficial for us to use. can turn heat up, turn it down. use it more than the old indoor facility. still want to be outside - will hold some practices at TCF. go back and forth between indoors and outdoors.

Max: have any of your punters been able to hit the ceiling in the new indoor facility?
PJ: I think Herbers did with one or two. but that's not the type of punt you'd do in a game. If you tell a punter he can't do it, he says "I'll hit the ceiling." (with the new indoor facility) we can practice our punt team, punt return. not have to simulate that.

Sid: lost some good defensive players
PJ: Richardson hard to replace. We have Gary Moore, Royal Silver; Umlor moved inside. some of new FR will come in here and help us to provide depth. that's the challenge. the depth is there, but 1st guy behind the starters won't be experienced.

Sid: QB?
I'm excited to see how battle pans out. both QB's, plus Green and Annexstad. see who rises to the top. look at the way Morgan has led in off-season. showing his natural leadership skills. Vic getting here early. jump-start what he can do. learn the offense, get into system. work out, get to know players. Seth Green having tremendous off-season. Coach C can develop them the right way. this competition is going into training camp. won't name starter after 15 spring practices.

Mona: training table. impressions
PJ: training center, nutrition, cafeteria - every one of the players says the food is elite. not one negative comment about food. so many people to thank for their investment in student-athletes. not just FB or basketball eating by themselves. 700 student athletes all bonding as Gophers

Sid: 7 guys coming in early
PJ: they're getting jump-start on career. have to be willing to give up finish to HS. excited about guys being there. did tremendous job adapting. Faalele, Dunlap get a jump-start on losing weight, working in a true D1 weight room astounding how much stronger we are compared to 3 months ago when season ended. even FR who came in in January, when we tested them, how much stronger they are now. have to become a mature FB team. players have responded. new Athletes village gives them every reason to stay around facility. otherwise, they're at their dorm or at class. great to see the players being together.

Sid: Murray's Certificate. Lot of ticket programs coming up at University. see a better team next fall
PJ: RTB. Ski-U-Mah.

Time will tell. Pulling for Seth Green to get his chance. Beat the stinking badger, GOPHER!

We get younger?

Vic's college experience, although juco, is better and more than what Rhoda and Demry had. Same age as Croft last year. Come, August, Tanner will have a year more experience in Kirk C system than Rhoda and Croft had last year. Seth a year older.

Smith and Brooks will be older.

Greene, Weyler, Olson, Schlueter return a year older. Dickson would provide an older option than Schlueter and Connelly offered last year. Schlueter is a year older. Dovich, Oseland a year older. Andries, Schmitz, Sassack all same as Olson, Schlueter last year.

Tyler Johnson a year older...Douglas a year older...Autman-Bell, VanDyne same as Howard, Williams last year. Howard a year older...Williams a year older. Bateman would be same as Douglas last year.

We get younger at tight end.

Moore a fifth year DT, OJ a fifth year DT, Silver a fourth year DT...last year two fourth year guys and a fifth year guy in Rich, Stelt, Merrick.

We had a true frosh and a true soph at DE last year with Umlor and Coughlin...Otomewo will be in second year...So worst case we play a true frosh opposite him and are same age as last year....Gibson, Devers, DeLatti all older.

Barber, Martin, Cashman, Coughlin, Huff all a year older in linebacker corps.

Safeties Huff, Winfield both older. Beck would be older than HandyHolly.

Kiondre, Shenault, Durr all older. If Williamson plays, we add a rs junior to the cornerback mix. Estes would be older option than Harris was.

Carpenter older, Jordahl older...Herbers will be a rs junior if he is our punter.

Thanks Son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We get younger?

Vic's college experience, although juco, is better and more than what Rhoda and Demry had. Same age as Croft last year. Come, August, Tanner will have a year more experience in Kirk C system than Rhoda and Croft had last year. Seth a year older.

Greene, Weyler, Olson, Schlueter return a year older. Dickson would provide an older option than Schlueter and Connelly offered last year. Schlueter is a year older. Dovich, Oseland a year older. Andries, Schmitz, Sassack all same as Olson, Schlueter last year.

Tyler Johnson a year older...Douglas a year older...Autman-Bell, VanDyne same as Howard, Williams last year. Howard a year older...Williams a year older. Bateman would be same as Douglas last year.

Moore a fifth year DT, OJ a fifth year DT, Silver a fourth year DT...last year two fourth year guys and a fifth year guy in Rich, Stelt, Merrick.

We had a true frosh and a true soph at DE last year with Umlor and Coughlin...Otomewo will be in second year...So worst case we play a true frosh opposite him and are same age as last year....Gibson, Devers, DeLatti all older.

Kiondre, Shenault, Durr all older. If Williamson plays, we add a rs junior to the cornerback mix. Estes would be older option than Harris was.

Carpenter older, Jordahl older...Herbers will be a rs junior if he is our punter.

Please, just stop already. I’ll use QB to prove my point.

Last year we had a 5th yr senior and 3rd yr sophomore at QB who had both spent their entire college careers at the U. This year we have a Sophomore Juco transfer and a redshirt freshmen.

Hopefully, they are much better QBs. But they are significantly less experienced than our top 2 from last year.

The Umlor move inside is interesting, although not surprising. I wonder if we'll see Coughlin remain mostly at DE.

This coming year, I hope to see three QBs that are serviceable. A starter with two good backups. I hope that Seth Greene will have more maturity and show some good competition.

Vic Viramontes hopefully brings the level of QB play higher than what we've seen the last five seasons. Will his success at JUCO translate to B1G play?

Thanks for this report Son! Very much appreciated. I too would like to see Green get some action at quarterback.

The Umlor move inside is interesting, although not surprising. I wonder if we'll see Coughlin remain mostly at DE.

Ugh. I was hoping to see CC mainly at LB.

This coming year, I hope to see three QBs that are serviceable. A starter with two good backups. I hope that Seth Greene will have more maturity and show some good competition.

Vic Viramontes hopefully brings the level of QB play higher than what we've seen the last five seasons. Will his success at JUCO translate to B1G play?

Well aren't we the chooser!

I thought this was the most interesting part of the interview. I viewed Umlor as the only DE returning (that got playing time) that had traditional size for the position. This makes me wonder if a couple of the red shirt guys look good, if Coughlin is staying at DE (would rather see him at LB), and in a bigger picture if the staff doesn't plan on using bigger DE's in the future. It was my understanding that we were looking to be a fairly traditional 4-3 type team with "normal" sized DE's, but just didn't have the bodies for it last year. With Umlor moving inside, maybe there has been a shift in that thinking? Also it's potentially interesting that there was no mention of OJ Smith.

We get younger?

You are the worst. You seem to pick and choose between experience and age as it fits your narrative. You are correct about one thing, though. All of the players from last year will be one year older this coming season...all except for our walk-on long snapper Ben Button of course.

Ugh. I was hoping to see CC mainly at LB.

I'd like to see Cashman on the field more...which probably would mean CC staying at End. He's a big time ATH and I have a feeling he'll get the DE gig figured out pretty well by Fall.

Top Bottom