STrib: Kiara Buford Craves Return to State -As Coach

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.mngirlsbasketballhub.com/news_article/show/893223

Kiara Buford knows firsthand what it takes to make it to the girls’ basketball state tournament.

Buford reached Target Center all four years of her high school career at St. Paul Central, which won back-to-back state championships in 2007 and 2008. Now five years removed from a standout career at the University of Minnesota, Buford is on the verge of returning to state, this time as head coach at Robbinsdale Cooper.

Buford, in her fourth year in the job, is drawing on her experience as a player to prepare her team for a run at the program’s first-ever state berth.

The Hawks (24-2) received a first-round bye as the top seed in the Class 4A, Section 6 playoffs and took a 17-game winning streak into the semifinals Saturday night. Last year’s team built a 24-3 record before falling to Wayzata in the semifinals. This year Waconia and Benilde-St. Margaret’s, which the Hawks defeated by an average of 27.5 points this season, stand as the No. 2 and No. 3 seeds on the other side of the bracket...

...The Hawks are 65-15 since going 8-17 in Buford’s first season.

“I feel like we’ve grown together,” Buford said. “At the end of the day, I’m definitely proud. I always say they make me look good as a coach.”

Much of the Hawks’ success in recent seasons has been predicated on solid guard play. They typically like to set up in a man-to-man defense and force opponents into an up-tempo game and take advantage of their deep lineup of ballhandlers.

Wheeler is one of several scoring threats at the position along with freshman Andrea Tribble (10.4 points per game), senior TT Longs (10.2 points per game), senior Ju Gaston (8.9) and senior Jada Buford (7.9), who is the coach’s younger sister.

“Most of us have been playing together for six-plus years, so we have great chemistry,” said Longs, a senior captain with Kiara Coops. “We know how each other plays, where we like to get the ball and what we’re going to do in a game.”

http://www.startribune.com/robbinsd...state-tournment-for-the-first-time/476335013/

Adding up all the games and practices as a player, Kiara Buford has taken the court at Williams Arena hundreds of times.

Six years removed from her standout career with the Gophers, Buford is going back to the Barn as a head coach. Her top-ranked Robbinsdale Cooper team will make its first state tournament appearance after defeating Benilde-St. Margaret's 62-47 on Thursday in the Class 3A, Section 6 final in Chanhassen.

The Hawks' 19th consecutive victory was their third of the season over the Red Knights, whom they swept on their way to a 14-0 showing in the Metro West Conference.

"What they've been able to do, not just tonight but through the entire season and the conference, has been really special," Buford said. "The things we've worked on are our character and mental toughness, and I think those things will help us be ready to play in that environment."

Senior Jada Buford, Coach Buford's younger sister, jump-started a game-opening 17-5 run for the Hawks (26-2) with a three-pointer on the first trip down the floor.

https://www.mngirlsbasketballhub.com/news_article/show/896551?referrer_id=248310

Cooper defeats Alexandria 58-51.

It wasn’t the most dominant start for first-time state entrant Cooper, but the Hawks got the job done in the second half to win their 20th consecutive game and advance to the state semifinals.

A 3-pointer from freshman Andrea Tribble with 13 seconds to go in the first half gave the top-seeded Hawks a 27-24 halftime lead to help propel them to a 58-51 victory over unseeded Alexandria (23-6) in the Class 3A quarterfinals on Wednesday at Williams Arena.

The Hawks (27-2) struggled early with their inside shots, going just 2-for-14 with 11:02 to play in the first half and trailing 9-5 to the Cardinals. Their 3-point shooting came up big in the second half, though, with three each from senior Jada Buford and from Tribble.

Buford led the Hawks in scoring with a season-high 20 points. Alexandria senior Courtney Gould led her team with 15 points.

https://www.mngirlsbasketballhub.com/news_article/show/897824?referrer_id=4032186

Cooper will face Northfield for the 3A title.

Nodding to her team’s great depth — a great blessing but occasional playing-time challenge — Cooper coach Kiara Buford lamented, “I wish we had seven people on the floor at one time.”

Opponents often feel that’s the case.

Nine players got minutes and each contributed at least two points as the top seed Hawks defeated Willmar 65-54 in the Class 3A semifinal Thursday at Target Center. State tournament newcomer Cooper (28-2) remains perfect in 2018 and advances to the championship game at 6 p.m. Saturday.

Another telling stat: Six Cooper players got credited with at least one steal as the Hawks defense overwhelmed No. 5 seed Willmar (26-3). Among the Cardinals’ 20 turnovers were 13 Cooper steals.

“Their defensive intensity was big in the second half,” Willmar coach Dustin Carlson said. “They came out and got after it.”

Kare11 just ran a piece on Buford. I guess she’s the only the second person in Minnesota to win a championship as a high school player and high school coach.

123_B2_ED3_11_E1_495_B_A5_D9_9_B1_ABBBC0_C0_E.jpg

Kare11 just ran a piece on Buford. I guess she’s the only the second person in Minnesota to win a championship as a high school player and high school coach.

That's cool. Cooper was a fun, aggressive team.

Top Bottom