B1G Tournament Game 2: Gophers versus Ohio State (3-3-18)

Wagner was terrible down stretch - missed layups/shots, 3 fouls that got Ohio state ahead - bells turnover on easy layup was big also

Ok good game but Bell absolutely looked frazzled the last 2-3 minutes too much me ball. Also that sequence where they couldn’t grab a rebound

Mavunga wouldn't have been out there at the three point line blocking all those shots if Doss would have been playing.

We need better interior players in the future because the trio of Fernstrom, Bello and Edwards were awful! I hope they take more than 4 teams from the Big Ten!!

Bell almost posted a triple double 27 points, 9 rebounds and 10 assists. Damn, like the team, she's had a fine month and a half. They've developed a much welcomed toughness. We got the play we wanted at the end.

On a side note: I admit, I loved Pitts screaming for the ball. Destiny has a nice bit of attitude; although she's picked little foul addiction. Same with Taiye; but I think Bello just takes her assignment to be physical a little too seriously.

Time to recover and get ready for the NCAA's.

We missed Hubbard when she had to sit in the first half. Brunson just isn't a threat in these games.

The last two nights Pitts sat for an extended period; although there were some defensive advantages replacing Destiny with Taiye.

Minutes Played (Starters Bolded)

40 Bell
40 Wagner
33 Hubbard

26 Fernstrom
25 Pitts

17 Taiye Bello
9 Edwards
7 Brunson
3 Kaposi

New_Picture.jpg

We need better interior players in the future because the trio of Fernstrom, Bello and Edwards were awful! I hope they take more than 4 teams from the Big Ten!!

Well Iowa had a really good RPI going into their game with us, didn't they? And not sure how they could keep us out? I think 5 B1G teams has to be the minimum.

Well, we got the shot we wanted at the buzzer. Carlie just couldn't get it to go. Mavunga was terrific for OSU. The Buckeyes have a couple of players who don't shoot free throws well (Hart, Waterman) and the Gophers were able to send those players to the line at the end of the game. Who was grousing about Stollings keeping her timeouts in her back pocket? Couldn't disagree more. She used those timeouts to advance the ball into the frontcourt at the end of the game. And I don't understand the comments about Hubbard not being a good defender and missing layups. Have you watched this team play recently? She's been a solid defender, including a key play yesterday in the win over Iowa and she finishes as well as Bell and Wagner. I do agree with Shades re: the team's "work the clock" offense when they have a lead in the 4th. I would have preferred that they keep the pedal to the metal, as they haven't done well with the slow-it-down offense. I understand why the Gophers want to run the clock, but when they go to that offense, it seems that it takes Bell too long to get the play started and the Gophers don't get a good shot. Gophers will have to work on this offense ...or abandon it. Again, almost nothing from our post players, but they are who they are. I'm thinking that Bello will be a starter next year and she'll really have to harness her fouls if she wants to play more than 15-20 minutes a game. Although I think Iggy is right in saying that she might be taking her assignment to be physical a bit too seriously. And Pitts played like a freshman tonight, not a Freshman of the Year. But that's what freshman do. Cain did the same for Nebraska against Maryland. And Bell, yes she is out of control sometimes, but she is a tremendous talent who has made big strides this year. She's tough to watch sometimes, because she can get out of control, but she is the person that dictates the pace for the Gophers. If she continues to get better, she could be an All-American candidate next year. She has unbelievable speed and if she sets her mind to it she could also become a lockdown defender. Are Bell and Wagner the best guard tandem the Gophers have had in a long time or were Banham and a younger Wagner better? Not sure. And, finally, I like the toughness of this Gopher team. OSU blew out the Gophers earlier in the year and the Gophers could have easily won this tourney game. In my opinion, this game was a good indication of how the Gophers have improved during the year. And the coach and the players deserve credit for that. Looking forward to Selection Monday.

Have to say that this was one of the best women’s tourney. Watched other conference tourneys this weekend and truly the BIG was more competitive and entertaining. BIG loses a lot of star power due to graduations but there some really good talent and skilled players coming up throughout the league. I hope the BIG makes a resurgent and not an afterthought for NCAA selections. I believe Gophers can be a top 4 seed for next years tourney, need to shore up post play tho for a real chance at a championship

Most entertaining Gopher Bball game (men or women) in a long time. Love the attacking play.

Gophers could upset someone in the tourney.

Well, we got the shot we wanted at the buzzer. Carlie just couldn't get it to go. Mavunga was terrific for OSU. The Buckeyes have a couple of players who don't shoot free throws well (Hart, Waterman) and the Gophers were able to send those players to the line at the end of the game. Who was grousing about Stollings keeping her timeouts in her back pocket? Couldn't disagree more. She used those timeouts to advance the ball into the frontcourt at the end of the game. And I don't understand the comments about Hubbard not being a good defender and missing layups. Have you watched this team play recently? She's been a solid defender, including a key play yesterday in the win over Iowa and she finishes as well as Bell and Wagner. I do agree with Shades re: the team's "work the clock" offense when they have a lead in the 4th. I would have preferred that they keep the pedal to the metal, as they haven't done well with the slow-it-down offense. I understand why the Gophers want to run the clock, but when they go to that offense, it seems that it takes Bell too long to get the play started and the Gophers don't get a good shot. Gophers will have to work on this offense ...or abandon it. Again, almost nothing from our post players, but they are who they are. I'm thinking that Bello will be a starter next year and she'll really have to harness her fouls if she wants to play more than 15-20 minutes a game. Although I think Iggy is right in saying that she might be taking her assignment to be physical a bit too seriously. And Pitts played like a freshman tonight, not a Freshman of the Year. But that's what freshman do. Cain did the same for Nebraska against Maryland. And Bell, yes she is out of control sometimes, but she is a tremendous talent who has made big strides this year. She's tough to watch sometimes, because she can get out of control, but she is the person that dictates the pace for the Gophers. If she continues to get better, she could be an All-American candidate next year. She has unbelievable speed and if she sets her mind to it she could also become a lockdown defender. Are Bell and Wagner the best guard tandem the Gophers have had in a long time or were Banham and a younger Wagner better? Not sure. And, finally, I like the toughness of this Gopher team. OSU blew out the Gophers earlier in the year and the Gophers could have easily won this tourney game. In my opinion, this game was a good indication of how the Gophers have improved during the year. And the coach and the players deserve credit for that. Looking forward to Selection Monday.

Agree with triple and many other comments here. I think the Pitts foul trouble the last couple of games hurt their offense a lot. Their "prime" offense, on display against Michigan and Maryland earlier, was when they spread out Wagner, Hubbard and Pitts for open threes and let Bell wander with her quickness. There is almost always somebody loose for a wide open three. Having Pitts on the bench so much (and Hubbard in the Indiana game) has really interfered with that offensive flow. It also would keep Mavunga from poaching blocks at the three line. If they can get that balance back they could do well in the NCAA. Also, let's all hope for better post players next year.

Let’s hope they get there first. It will be a 10th seed or worse if they do indeed get chosen.

Yes, the BIG tourney has been very entertaining this year. Even though the top two seeds have ended up in the championship game, this was a wide open tourney with some very entertaining basketball, a lot of which can be attributed to the Gophers. I love the Gophers uptempo style. Very different from the "pass around the perimeter until the shot clock buzzer is about to sound" offense of the Borton regime. Of course, Bell and her incredible speed and her ability to penetrate, are key factors in why this offense is a good as it is and almost impossible to stop when all Pitts, Hubbard, Wagner, and Bell are on the floor. And the ability and willingness of Wagner and Hubbard to penetrate also makes this offense as effective as it is. Obviously, the Achilles heel of the time has been post play. It seems that Stollings has a scholarship left for next year and I'm wondering if she might be able to find a graduate transfer post player. Sometimes I wonder how good this team could be if they had a good post player ...a Mavunga, a Gustafson, a Cain, or a post player like former Gophers McCarville or ZahuiB. (OK, I'm delusional.) But if this year's team had a post player like that, they'd be a good bet to go deep in the NCAA tourney. As it is, even without a good post player, the Gophers will probably be a matchup nightmare for many of the teams in the NCAA tourney and it wouldn't surprise me if they got past the first weekend with a couple of wins, depending on who they play. And, as for the BIG, this league has plenty of star power again this year with the likes of Mitchell, Gustafson, Flaherty, Wagner, and Bell. But the league would be even better if it hadn't lost so many players to transfer last year. Slocum of Maryland, Gondriczek (sp?) of Michigan, Shepherd of Nebraska (although the Cornhuskers are a better team without her , I think). Will be interesting to see how the Gophers are next year without Wagner. I still think they'll be very good, but they'll have to find another guard or forward to fill Wagner's shoes and that won't be an easy task. Don't know enough about the incoming players to know if they'll be able to contribute next year...a post, a guard, and a combo guard/forward. If the Gophers can find a decent post, they can use Bello at a forward. If not, they may have to use Bello at the post. Next year's BIG will be very interesting again. OSU and Indiana (and Rutgers) with multiple key player losses. Maryland, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska the top 4 with MSU and Purdue behind them? It's too early to tell, as we don't know which teams will lose transfers, which teams will get grad transfers, and what impact incoming freshman will have. But, at least now, it seems that the future looks bright for next year's Gophers.

Yes, the BIG tourney has been very entertaining this year. Even though the top two seeds have ended up in the championship game, this was a wide open tourney with some very entertaining basketball, a lot of which can be attributed to the Gophers. I love the Gophers uptempo style. Very different from the "pass around the perimeter until the shot clock buzzer is about to sound" offense of the Borton regime. Of course, Bell and her incredible speed and her ability to penetrate, are key factors in why this offense is a good as it is and almost impossible to stop when all Pitts, Hubbard, Wagner, and Bell are on the floor. And the ability and willingness of Wagner and Hubbard to penetrate also makes this offense as effective as it is. Obviously, the Achilles heel of the time has been post play. It seems that Stollings has a scholarship left for next year and I'm wondering if she might be able to find a graduate transfer post player. Sometimes I wonder how good this team could be if they had a good post player ...a Mavunga, a Gustafson, a Cain, or a post player like former Gophers McCarville or ZahuiB. (OK, I'm delusional.) But if this year's team had a post player like that, they'd be a good bet to go deep in the NCAA tourney. As it is, even without a good post player, the Gophers will probably be a matchup nightmare for many of the teams in the NCAA tourney and it wouldn't surprise me if they got past the first weekend with a couple of wins, depending on who they play. And, as for the BIG, this league has plenty of star power again this year with the likes of Mitchell, Gustafson, Flaherty, Wagner, and Bell. But the league would be even better if it hadn't lost so many players to transfer last year. Slocum of Maryland, Gondriczek (sp?) of Michigan, Shepherd of Nebraska (although the Cornhuskers are a better team without her , I think). Will be interesting to see how the Gophers are next year without Wagner. I still think they'll be very good, but they'll have to find another guard or forward to fill Wagner's shoes and that won't be an easy task. Don't know enough about the incoming players to know if they'll be able to contribute next year...a post, a guard, and a combo guard/forward. If the Gophers can find a decent post, they can use Bello at a forward. If not, they may have to use Bello at the post. Next year's BIG will be very interesting again. OSU and Indiana (and Rutgers) with multiple key player losses. Maryland, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska the top 4 with MSU and Purdue behind them? It's too early to tell, as we don't know which teams will lose transfers, which teams will get grad transfers, and what impact incoming freshman will have. But, at least now, it seems that the future looks bright for next year's Gophers.

I agree, a graduate post might look at this team as a great opportunity to be successful in this system. As short changed as they were in the post they did maximize their strengths. In agreement that Maryland, Iowa Nebraska as the top 3 next year, with Gophers fending off MSU and Purdue for 4th! Hope they get to the NCAA’s. After the thirty some automatic bids that awarded you can’t tell me that there are thirty other teams better than the Gophers.

Top Bottom