Gophers announce spring practice schedule, featuring three public sessions

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers announced three spring football practices will be open to the public. Fans will have the opportunity to watch sessions on March 27 and April 3, to along with the annual Spring Game at TCF Bank Stadium on April 14 (noon). The practices will either be held at the outdoor field or new indoor practice facility starting at 4:45 p.m.

Head coach P.J. Fleck announced the team will hold 15 practice sessions spanning from March 6 to April 16. The Gophers will have their first two practices next Tuesday and Thursday, before departing for Spring Break.

Coach Fleck will speak with the media on Tuesday morning as the Gophers kick off their second spring campaign under his leadership.

nekton mentality every practice fellas.

Request for PJ and the staff - people love the Saturday spring practices. Open 1 or 2 up to the public.

These limited public practice hours during the work week (under PJ) always remind me of Caddy day at Bushwood. UCLA, for example has opened all their spring practices. Is PJ concerned someone may discover they run a zone run scheme?

These limited public practice hours during the work week (under PJ) always remind me of Caddy day at Bushwood. UCLA, for example has opened all their spring practices. Is PJ concerned someone may discover they run a zone run scheme?

Limiting public practices to 2 most can't attend is about positive energy. That is what our team is all about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy I might be on campus at those times.... might have to visit.

How many people actually attend the public practices?

How many people actually attend the public practices?

200 to 500 is my guess...didn't count and I believe PJ would say higher but on the days I have gone maybe it's closer to the 200-300.

I appreciate he set aside two versus none but I don't believe that was what he said he was doing at his opening press conference...I recall more open practices, more coach interviews than the previous head coaches because it was Minnesota's team blah blah but not so much in reality.

But, thank you for two opportunities. These might be the last two chances?

200 to 500 is my guess...
Seriously?

Wow, I would've been surprised if you had said 50. Is it mostly fans or are there lots of area coaches there trying to learn things about running practices?

200 to 500 is my guess...didn't count and I believe PJ would say higher but on the days I have gone maybe it's closer to the 200-300.

I appreciate he set aside two versus none but I don't believe that was what he said he was doing at his opening press conference...I recall more open practices, more coach interviews than the previous head coaches because it was Minnesota's team blah blah but not so much in reality.

As the old sales saying goes trust what I say not what I do. Wait a minute...

PJ is into publicity but seems to be of the highly curated variety, at the time and place of his choosing. The TV series was excellent for his brand, for example. Maybe there is a good reason for it, eg he feels the guys are less focused if there is an audience, or maybe he doesn’t want the guys to go all out and risk injury. I recall Jerry always said the guys tried harder when there was a crowd.

Here is Jerry Kill’s spring practice schedule from 2015

Minnesota Football Spring Practice Dates
March 3 (Closed to the public)
March 5 (Closed to the public)
March 7, 9:50 a.m. - Practice, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public)
March 10, 4:15p.m. - Practice, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public)
March 12, 4:15p.m. - Practice, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public)
March 24, 4:15p.m. - Practice, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public)
March 26, 4:15p.m. - Practice, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public)
March 28, 9:50 a.m. - Practice, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public)
March 31, 4:15p.m. - Practice, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public)
April 2, 4:15p.m. - Practice, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public)
April 4, 9:50 a.m. - Practice, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public)
April 7, 4:15p.m. - Practice, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public)
April 9, 4:15p.m. - Practice, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public)
April 10, 4:15p.m. - Practice, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public)
April 11, 3 p.m. - Spring Game, TCF Bank Stadium

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...o-spring-practices-closed-rest-open-to-public

The angst about "open practices" is ill-found.

I used to go to most all of them with Brewster and Kill. If 500 people were ever there, I'd be shocked. Never more than a couple of hundred. Look at your average large restaurant crowd, estimate, and actually count them. You'll be off by 100-200%.

Unless, of course, folks were expecting it because he told us this was our team and they would have open practices so we could be involved. They need us, blah, blah, blah.

I would agree the angst at this point is I'll-founded because if anyone takes what PJ says at face value still - they only have themselves to blame.

Unless, of course, folks were expecting it because he told us this was our team and they would have open practices so we could be involved. They need us, blah, blah, blah.

I would agree the angst at this point is I'll-founded because if anyone takes what PJ says at face value still - they only have themselves to blame.

You remind me so much of a former co-worker who constantly told everyone how stupid the Kardashian's are but he watched every episode and knew everything about them.

I used to go to most all of them with Brewster and Kill. If 500 people were ever there, I'd be shocked. Never more than a couple of hundred. Look at your average large restaurant crowd, estimate, and actually count them. You'll be off by 100-200%.

Dear highwayman, it's mathematically impossible for a person to be off by more than 100%.

For example, if a person estimates that there were 500 people at a practice, and that person's estimation was off by 100%, that means his estimation was off by 500 people.

By the way, if that's the case, then there were 0 people at practice, and an estimate of 500 is beyond horrible.

I don’t think it’s angst, although it’s probably disappointing for those fans that do want to go down and see the new guys, the old guys, PJ’s antics, etc but can’t because of their job or family responsibilities. It’s more of an interesting anomaly.

The spring practice blackout goes along with closing off pro day to the media/blocking outside players, minimal public access to fall camp. It doesn’t mesh well with what comes out of his mouth. It’s a little strange IMO.

It doesn’t mesh well with what comes out of his mouth.

To me, that is the key point. And I agree with Spoofin. If Fleck wants closed practices I couldn't care less. But then just come out and say that and save us the BS.

I sent PJ an email and asked for a few open Saturday practices...

We’ll see how much clout I have...

Dear highwayman, it's mathematically impossible for a person to be off by more than 100%.

For example, if a person estimates that there were 500 people at a practice, and that person's estimation was off by 100%, that means his estimation was off by 500 people.

By the way, if that's the case, then there were 0 people at practice, and an estimate of 500 is beyond horrible.

If he guesses 500 and 2000 show up - what % off would he be?

I went to one of Jerry's on a weekend and yeah it was at least 200 visitors it looked like.

If he guesses 500 and 2000 show up - what % off would he be?

That's a fair point. Since the entire topic until then had been about fewer people in attendance than were estimated, I assumed it was continuing in that direction. Not a great assumption on my part, I suppose.

That's a fair point. Since the entire topic until then had been about fewer people in attendance than were estimated, I assumed it was continuing in that direction. Not a great assumption on my part, I suppose.

The post you replied to absolutely was implying the crowd would be smaller than what you would think, so in that context you are also correct. I was just having fun anyway. I'll go back to talking PJ now.

Dear like-math-deprived:

You are right on the down side. You can only be 100% wrong. I guess I meant that people are so far off when they estimate crowds that it borders on the ridiculous.

However on the upside a person can be infinitely % wrong, but I wasn't going that way. I will go back to studying.

On another matter, if I get mocked by Spoonin', does that cancel everything out?

I sent PJ an email and asked for a few open Saturday practices...

We’ll see how much clout I have...

Can't tell if you're joking, do you actually have his email?

nekton mentality every practice fellas.

I'd settle for a winning mentality, and winning coaching. But Nekton is so much kooler than u ole' skool dudes think.

Of course since nekton simply means you swim vs. be carried along with the currents of the water, it ain't exactly a high bar to clear. But in fairness is in line with PJ's comments about his ability with X's and O's, so fits perfectly, I guess. Summed up in another word he endlessly uses incorrectly - ELITE!

Every UMN employee's email is readily accessible - I thought that you go to the U?

I did go to the U, graduated last May, and I tried looking in the Athletic Department staff directory for it once and couldn't find it.

Upon further looking, it seems I was looking in the wrong place. It's listed here: https://directory.umn.edu/intercollegiate-athletics-teams and I was looking here: http://www.gophersports.com/ot/staff-directory.html (to be fair this is the first thing that comes up when searching for a staff directory, the other link doesn't show up until near the bottom of the first page)

Good thing I didn't get a degree in journalism, I'd be terrible at it it seems!

Top Bottom