All B1G Tournament Thread

The Rutgers vs Purdue game might be the best game I've seen all year. Sanders and Baker were frickin awesome!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Losing to a ranked Michigan team shouldn't be a disqualifier. Nebraska is hurt by a couple RPI quirks and is worthy of the field in my opinion. I like their chances to win a game if they sneak in as an 11 or 12.

It doesn’t have anything to do with RPI quirks. Look at their schedule. One win against the NCAA field will not and should not get you in the tournament. It would be more of a quirk if RPI actually helped them.

I totally agree that Nebraska is good enough to be in the dance. The problem is their Big Ten schedule gave them no favors this year, as they didn't get to play the top teams very much. They shouldve had a better showing today though to help their cause...

What did they have, one or two top 50 wins ! Big 10 was truly awful

It doesn’t have anything to do with RPI quirks. Look at their schedule. One win against the NCAA field will not and should not get you in the tournament. It would be more of a quirk if RPI actually helped them.

I do think that if this was Indiana or Wisconsin we're talking about, they'd get in.

No love lost between MSU and Michigan. I sure wish we had that kind of intense rivalry at an elite level.

I do think that if this was Indiana or Wisconsin we're talking about, they'd get in.

I think those teams would be discussed by the talking heads more, but I don’t think the decision from the committee would be any different. On the flip side, I think if Indiana St or Western Michigan had 22 wins with a SOS in the 90s and 1 Q1 win there would be zero discussion about them.

It’s funny to me that people keep trying to cite Nebraska’s 13-5 B1G record. Conference record is not one of the selection criteria, with good reason, so that record is irrelevant.

Isn't it precious Izzo always has a ref next to him, chatting it up during breaks in the action? Poor tommy......

Woverines seem to be peaking at the right time. Too bad B1G teams will have to sit around for 12 days before they can play again.

Purdue should win by ten over State Penn.

It should be a good final between Michigan and Purdue.

Woverines seem to be peaking at the right time. Too bad B1G teams will have to sit around for 12 days before they can play again.

What was the reason for this schedule this year? Give them more rest before post season tourneys?

What was the reason for this schedule this year? Give them more rest before post season tourneys?

I believe the Big East has MSG booked for their tournament next week, so Big Ten had to do it a week earlier.

Delany had a hard on for New York.

The sign that was outside of MSG with the mileage for each school should show why NYC is a terrible spot. The B1G conference play second fiddle to the Big East, say move on Delany's part. Leave it in Chicago or Indianapolis. Both are great spots for 3/4 of the B1G fan base. I went to DC last year, and it was fun going out there, but much more expensive then going to Indy. If they wanted NYC they should have waited a couple years and not have had back to back east coast trips.

The sign that was outside of MSG with the mileage for each school should show why NYC is a terrible spot. The B1G conference play second fiddle to the Big East, say move on Delany's part. Leave it in Chicago or Indianapolis. Both are great spots for 3/4 of the B1G fan base. I went to DC last year, and it was fun going out there, but much more expensive then going to Indy. If they wanted NYC they should have waited a couple years and not have had back to back east coast trips.

Lat night someone said to me, why doesn't the league put it on a wider rotation throughout the league area. Lots of good, large, neutral venues, including in Detroit, Cleveland...MSP of course. Like I said, someone needs to explain why the Twin Cities is suitable for a Final Four but not a Big Ten Tournament.

I believe the Big East has MSG booked for their tournament next week, so Big Ten had to do it a week earlier.

Crazy, I guess we had a genius planning this fiasco.

Lat night someone said to me, why doesn't the league put it on a wider rotation throughout the league area. Lots of good, large, neutral venues, including in Detroit, Cleveland...MSP of course. Like I said, someone needs to explain why the Twin Cities is suitable for a Final Four but not a Big Ten Tournament.
Having the B1G in Mpls is similar to having it in NYC. Mpls is a fringe area (whether we like it or not). Chicago, Detroit and Indianapolis are core locations.

I think those teams would be discussed by the talking heads more, but I don’t think the decision from the committee would be any different. On the flip side, I think if Indiana St or Western Michigan had 22 wins with a SOS in the 90s and 1 Q1 win there would be zero discussion about them.

It’s funny to me that people keep trying to cite Nebraska’s 13-5 B1G record. Conference record is not one of the selection criteria, with good reason, so that record is irrelevant.

There has never been a Big Ten team that had 13+ wins that didn't make the tourney. That is why people are talking about it. This was a historically down Big Ten this year, so it might never happen again...

Having the B1G in Mpls is similar to having it in NYC. Mpls is a fringe area (whether we like it or not). Chicago, Detroit and Indianapolis are core locations.

My main issue with having the tourney in NY is having to play it a week early and messing up the schedule. If it wasn’t for that I wouldn’t have a huge issue having it in NY every once in awhile.

There has never been a Big Ten team that had 13+ wins that didn't make the tourney. That is why people are talking about it. This was a historically down Big Ten this year, so it might never happen again...

It’s not even the most conference wins by a major conference team that will be left out of the NCAAs. In 2012 Washington went 14-4 in the Pac12 and won the conference regular season title outright. The Huskies did not make the NCAA tournament that year.

My point is that there is nothing unprecedented about Nebraska missing out this year.

It’s not even the most conference wins by a major conference team that will be left out of the NCAAs. In 2012 Washington went 14-4 in the Pac12 and won the conference regular season title outright. The Huskies did not make the NCAA tournament that year.

My point is that there is nothing unprecedented about Nebraska missing out this year.

I remember the Gophers playing that Washington team in the NIT Final Four. Tony Wroten and Terrance Ross were first round picks in the 2012 NBA draft. I didn't realize they won the Pac 12 that year and STILL went to the NIT. It also looks like there wasn't a single Pac 12 team that finished in the top 25.

According to this CBS article, Nebraska would be just the 3rd team to ever win 13 or more conference games and miss the tournament, along with 2012 Washington and 2012 Oregon.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...ld-be-an-example-for-the-selection-committee/

I figured it had happened a little more than that. I'm pretty sure the SEC and Pac 12 have had a few teams go 11-7 or 12-6 and miss the tournament because they were just weak conferences and the wins didn't mean much, or they lost a bunch of non-conference games. The aforementioned Washington team went 6-5 out of conference, granted 4 of those losses were to NCAA tournament teams.

I suppose it's not unprecedented, and I actually thought it had happened more often at the time I started typing this post, but Nebraska would belong to a pretty small group of major conference teams to have such a gaudy conference record and go to the NIT. It's especially weird in the Big Ten where I think we've gotten used to the conference being maybe at least the 3rd best conference in the country most years, and where a 10-8 record will usually get you in.

What's the use of having outposts if you don't occupy them? :)

I'm with Gophersiniowa. I actually don't have as much of a beef with MSG as a location/venue as I do with the B1G having to take sloppy seconds to the Big East and shift the whole schedule as a result. That should have been a non starter.

What's the use of having outposts if you don't occupy them? :)

I'm with Gophersiniowa. I actually don't have as much of a beef with MSG as a location/venue as I do with the B1G having to take sloppy seconds to the Big East and shift the whole schedule as a result. That should have been a non starter.

That is exactly right, it is pretty embarrassing for the B1G to be playing a week early compared to every other major conference. I do think having the tournament in a city like MPLS, Detroit, Cleveland would be a good mix up for the tournament. I get that it is nice to try and appeal to the Rutgers and Maryland fans, but in my opinion they are outsiders and I forget that they are in the B1G. This is the same conference though that wants to move some of their football games to Friday night...so the tournament being in NYC a week early should come as no surprise :rolleyes:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BTT

With the Men's BTT being played a week early, I wonder why they didn't push back the Women's BTT.

It leaves a big gap in BTN's programming this week and several of the Women's games were not broadcast anywhere.

With the Men's BTT being played a week early, I wonder why they didn't push back the Women's BTT.

It leaves a big gap in BTN's programming this week and several of the Women's games were not broadcast anywhere.

Our season ticket peeps were asking this same question. We're bummed about the long layoff now until the NCAA begins and would love to have watched the women's tourney this weekend.

New York was a good venue for the tournament-once. I was told by a New Yorker that traveling there before St. Patrick's Day is low season, and while it is a big city, the crowds were not overwhelming anywhere. We were warmly welcomed, saw a number of sites, and MSG is a good venue for fans. All something lots of us would want to experience once. Pretty expensive, though.

The attendance at the games was far better than in DC last year. Rutgers winning a couple probably helped on Thursday and Friday. Apparently, Michigan has a huge alumni base in the NYC metro area and it showed. They had the largest and most boisterous fan base, although many of them were clueless about their team. I knew more about their team than many of them sitting by us.

The MSG experiment is over. The area and venue were a success. The timing was a disaster that was admitted to by Delaney. The tourney is now rotating between Indy and Chicago for eight years, which I'm fine with. Would love to see it here, but it won't happen. I can't imagine going to Cleveland or Detroit either. Having been to a number of tournaments, there is something comfortable about familiarity as well. Too much rotation takes that away.

BTW, countless numbers of times people saw my Minnesota gear, they remarked favorably on Jelly. Whether a security guard, usher at church, waiter or locals at the tournament, everyone seems to know him and love him. One guy told me his son played with him for years at St. Raymond's and could not say more things positive about him. If he has the kind of success here that I think he can have, we could have an NYC pipeline for a long time.

New York was a good venue for the tournament-once. I was told by a New Yorker that traveling there before St. Patrick's Day is low season, and while it is a big city, the crowds were not overwhelming anywhere. We were warmly welcomed, saw a number of sites, and MSG is a good venue for fans. All something lots of us would want to experience once. Pretty expensive, though.

The attendance at the games was far better than in DC last year. Rutgers winning a couple probably helped on Thursday and Friday. Apparently, Michigan has a huge alumni base in the NYC metro area and it showed. They had the largest and most boisterous fan base, although many of them were clueless about their team. I knew more about their team than many of them sitting by us.

The MSG experiment is over. The area and venue were a success. The timing was a disaster that was admitted to by Delaney. The tourney is now rotating between Indy and Chicago for eight years, which I'm fine with. Would love to see it here, but it won't happen. I can't imagine going to Cleveland or Detroit either. Having been to a number of tournaments, there is something comfortable about familiarity as well. Too much rotation takes that away.

BTW, countless numbers of times people saw my Minnesota gear, they remarked favorably on Jelly. Whether a security guard, usher at church, waiter or locals at the tournament, everyone seems to know him and love him. One guy told me his son played with him for years at St. Raymond's and could not say more things positive about him. If he has the kind of success here that I think he can have, we could have an NYC pipeline for a long time.

Thanks Holy Man for the update. By chance were you sitting near Badger fans and the Reuvers family for one of the games? On TV it felt like there was good atmosphere on Friday and Saturday, which is typical.

Fyi, Chicago and Indy are only set for the next 4 years. Delany said on the Sunday nite in the postgame show they would be deciding the 4 years following sometime next spring. He indicated other cities would get consideration based on "athletic directors input".

I have been to 14 of these, I missed going the past few years and hope to return now that it will be back in the traditional Big 10 imprint.

Top Bottom