Isaiah Washington over the final ten games

Frank Grimey Grimes

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread, but want to educate those who have not been paying attention to how well Washington played down the stretch after his benching.

His final 10 games
-12.9ppg on 44% shooting
-49% percent on 2p shots! He shot 33% from downtown(where he needs to work), 78% from the line.
-He averaged 2.5 rebounds a game and 2.8 assists.
-He did all of this while only averaging 1.5 turnovers a game.

I think Washington has gotten ripped and overlooked by a lot of people on this board. Early in the season, he was very bad and there is no doubt about that. But over the course of the conference schdule he played very well especialy for a freshman.

He needs to work hard this summer on his 3 point shot and add some strength but I have no concern for him taking over as our starting PG next year. We still need a grad transfer or recruit for depth but Washington will a major contributer next year and will open eyes.

It will be helpful for IW if one or more of our bigs could create a seal when he drives the lane, rather than just stand and watch. I feel very confident in his ability to get into the lane and make a pass to an open SEALED big. I also feel very confident the rest of his game will continue to come along steadily if this happens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I posted this in another thread, but want to educate those who have not been paying attention to how well Washington played down the stretch after his benching.

His final 10 games
-12.9ppg on 44% shooting
-49% percent on 2p shots! He shot 33% from downtown(where he needs to work), 78% from the line.
-He averaged 2.5 rebounds a game and 2.8 assists.
-He did all of this while only averaging 1.5 turnovers a game.

I think Washington has gotten ripped and overlooked by a lot of people on this board. Early in the season, he was very bad and there is no doubt about that. But over the course of the conference schdule he played very well especialy for a freshman.

He needs to work hard this summer on his 3 point shot and add some strength but I have no concern for him taking over as our starting PG next year. We still need a grad transfer or recruit for depth but Washington will a major contributer next year and will open eyes.
This is encouraging. We all liked the way mason played as a freshman and if you look at the stats, washingtons stats last 10 games are all better than mason's his entire freshman year. Only exception is the 3 point percentage which is 38% to 33%.

That's great information, he still forces to much, not there as a B1G point guard yet, but he looked better against Rutgers, a big key for next season.

For comparison, because people like to criticize IW:

Brad Davison over his last 10 games
-12.8 ppg on 40% shooting at 34.7 mpg
-45% on 2p. 36% from three. 83% FT
-2.6 rebounds and 2.8 assists
-1.2 turnovers

Isaiah has obviously put in work to improve over the year! Both are great players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't need to educate the board. Stop flattering yourself. We all watch the games.

Yes, Washington was ripped a lot earlier in the season and, once he started to improve, people noticed and the ripping subsided. Then people started complaining a bit that he wasn't playing more. I think it is you who haven't been paying attention.

Nevertheless, having justly criticized your self-aggrandizing attitude, I will thank you for quantifying his improvement and displaying those results. I knew he was shooting better and scoring more efficiently but I didn't bother to do the numbers.

You don't need to educate the board. Stop flattering yourself. We all watch the games.

Yes, Washington was ripped a lot earlier in the season and, once he started to improve, people noticed and the ripping subsided. Then people started complaining a bit that he wasn't playing more. I think it is you who haven't been paying attention.

Nevertheless, having justly criticized your self-aggrandizing attitude, I will thank you for quantifying his improvement and displaying those results. I knew he was shooting better and scoring more efficiently but I didn't bother to do the numbers.

So he did educate you..... and me too. I thought it was a good post- very informative as compared to all the whining and sky is falling posts we see here. Washington is going to be a great one. Watch and see what happens when he has bigs like Oturo (great hands) Curry and Murphy (who will no longer be swarmed wherever he goes. Washington is going to be dropping a lot of dimes in the lane for flushes by those three. A big change from going down the lane and looking at Konate as an option

So he did educate you..... and me too. I thought it was a good post- very informative as compared to all the whining and sky is falling posts we see here.

It would have been a good post if he dispensed with the silly and misguided rhetoric and just presented the numbers. Mostly everyone who posts here regularly realizes that Washington's play improved significantly during the Big Ten season.

"You ripped him early in the season!"

Yes, because he was significantly underperforming expectations.

"You probably don't realize that he's been much better in the last half of the season!

Of course I do. I'm not blind.

Dumb way to justify his post so I thought it was my turn to educate him.

The frustration is that I see missed offensive opportunities to take advantage of IW's abilities. The way he can penetrate and find open people... I see other teams using spot-up shooters and passing to the roller on the high screen, and we don't seem to have that in our offense. It's either pass and weave around the perimeter or Murphy one on three in the lane.

Jeez bro, what did I do to piss you off? I literally meant what I said, for those who have checked out this season and have not really been paying attention, here is how well IW is playing. If it came across as condescending, i apologize and those were not my intentions. Either way, glad we can agree IW has a bright future.

For comparison, because people like to criticize IW:

Brad Davison over his last 10 games
-12.8 ppg on 40% shooting at 34.7 mpg
-45% on 2p. 36% from three. 83% FT
-2.6 rebounds and 2.8 assists
-1.2 turnovers

Isaiah has obviously put in work to improve over the year! Both are great players.

I think an important yet subjective measurement is demonstrating leadership on the court. Having watched both players quite a bit this year, I don’t even think it’s close. Davison is head and shoulders above IW in terms of being the vocal leader on the court.

Without Mason on the court next year that will be a glaring hole for us unless IW steps up big time.

If he makes good decisions within the offense, IW's numbers should skyrocket next year.

His assists will go way up with post players other than Murphy who can actually catch a pass in the lane. He should also get more open looks with a balanced offense as long as the ball keeps moving. Defenses just had to key on Mason and Murphy this year with all the injuries. Next year, in theory, all five positions should be able to score.

He can beat anyone off the dribble. After that, it's all decision making. It only gets better with experience.

The big thing for Washington will be consistency. You can take any player's 10 best games and make him look great - or you can take the same player's 10 worst games and make him look terrible.

What I want to see from Washington is consistency. he doesn't have to be great every night - heck, he doesn't have to be great any night - just be decent every night (or damn near every night). What he cannot do is go from great one night to awful the next night. That is the worst possible quality in a PG. The PG is (or should be) the floor leader. the guy whose first priority is getting his teammates in the game and making the offense flow.

If Washington is the primary PG, he has to cut down on the early shots, the forced shots and the WTF plays he exhibited at times this year.

Yes, the potential is there. But potential don't mean squat until it is realized through performance. My grade for Washington is incomplete. Until we see him actually operate as the primary PG, we won't know for sure how he handles the position. that - along with incorporating all the new and returning injured players into the lineup - is why I think the Gophers could be up-and-down in the first half of next season. If they can work out all the kinks by the B1G season, it could be a fun team.

It would have been a good post if he dispensed with the silly and misguided rhetoric and just presented the numbers. Mostly everyone who posts here regularly realizes that Washington's play improved significantly during the Big Ten season.

"You ripped him early in the season!"

Yes, because he was significantly underperforming expectations.

"You probably don't realize that he's been much better in the last half of the season!

Of course I do. I'm not blind.

Dumb way to justify his post so I thought it was my turn to educate him.
Your justification isnt holding up that well either

I think an important yet subjective measurement is demonstrating leadership on the court. Having watched both players quite a bit this year, I don’t even think it’s close. Davison is head and shoulders above IW in terms of being the vocal leader on the court.

Without Mason on the court next year that will be a glaring hole for us unless IW steps up big time.

We will have to see, sometimes when a player (Mason) is the vocal leader other players don't feel like they need to step up and try to take that place. When they start practicing next year, someone will step up and take that place. I expect Coffey to be that guy. Doesn't need to come from the PG

The big thing for Washington will be consistency. You can take any player's 10 best games and make him look great - or you can take the same player's 10 worst games and make him look terrible.

What I want to see from Washington is consistency. he doesn't have to be great every night - heck, he doesn't have to be great any night - just be decent every night (or damn near every night). What he cannot do is go from great one night to awful the next night. That is the worst possible quality in a PG. The PG is (or should be) the floor leader. the guy whose first priority is getting his teammates in the game and making the offense flow.

If Washington is the primary PG, he has to cut down on the early shots, the forced shots and the WTF plays he exhibited at times this year.

Yes, the potential is there. But potential don't mean squat until it is realized through performance. My grade for Washington is incomplete. Until we see him actually operate as the primary PG, we won't know for sure how he handles the position. that - along with incorporating all the new and returning injured players into the lineup - is why I think the Gophers could be up-and-down in the first half of next season. If they can work out all the kinks by the B1G season, it could be a fun team.

Its not taking Washingtons best 10 games. His last 10 games are different than cherry picking his 10 best. Most people on this board believe that most freshman struggle in the start of their college career, so the sole fact that he went through a struggle and ended the year on a good note in encouraging.

I will agree with most of things you said though. We don't actually know how he will be when he is handed the keys, but at least we can go into the offseason knowing the potential is there with the way he finished.

Its not taking Washingtons best 10 games. His last 10 games are different than cherry picking his 10 best. Most people on this board believe that most freshman struggle in the start of their college career, so the sole fact that he went through a struggle and ended the year on a good note in encouraging.

I will agree with most of things you said though. We don't actually know how he will be when he is handed the keys, but at least we can go into the offseason knowing the potential is there with the way he finished.

I think his entire B1G performance was pretty good given limited minutes in some of the games. He will be better next year and will benefit from bigs that actually understand the game.

We will have to see, sometimes when a player (Mason) is the vocal leader other players don't feel like they need to step up and try to take that place. When they start practicing next year, someone will step up and take that place. I expect Coffey to be that guy. Doesn't need to come from the PG

Maybe so, but even Mason stated he needs to be a lot more vocal.

“He’s got to be the vocal leader on the court, because the team is going to look at the point guard for leadership,” Mason said. “He has to kind of step out of his shell and lead these guys. They’re going to be stacked.”

Washington stepped up big time, which was great to see. His passing improved, his defense improved, even his shot selection improved. So I'm excited to see what he does next year, especially when he's not passing to Bakary. And, I don't know about "vocal leadership." He seemed to be somebody his teammates loved. I think he'll grow in that area. I know this was a down year, but I'm excited for next year. Also, Davison is a dirty player, and I hope the rest of his career goes poorly.

I think his entire B1G performance was pretty good given limited minutes in some of the games. He will be better next year and will benefit from bigs that actually understand the game.
He will benefit from Bigs who can catch a pass and finish at the rim. We played 4 on 5 offense for most of the B1G season due to sub-par skills with our centers.
Having no confidence in bigs catching the ball will often translate into bad shot selection, which is what we often saw in the last half of the season.
The question is...will Washington learn to dish first and shoot second when he attacks the rim?

Maybe so, but even Mason stated he needs to be a lot more vocal.

“He’s got to be the vocal leader on the court, because the team is going to look at the point guard for leadership,” Mason said. “He has to kind of step out of his shell and lead these guys. They’re going to be stacked.”

I agree, but sometimes it is hard to show being a vocal leader when you're on the court with Mason. You don't want to try and show up a Senior captain. Could change though next year, when Washington feels like he has a little more say.

I think the effect of the lack of good players around him (and Mason) has been WAY understated. That put so much pressure on the guards to force plays, and that affects shooting percentage, turnovers, etc. Should be much better that way next year.

He improved. Looked more under control. Didn’t push the low percentage shot. I’d say he was coached. Just didn’t have anyone to rebound after Lynch was gone

The frustration is that I see missed offensive opportunities to take advantage of IW's abilities. The way he can penetrate and find open people... I see other teams using spot-up shooters and passing to the roller on the high screen, and we don't seem to have that in our offense. It's either pass and weave around the perimeter or Murphy one on three in the lane.

100% agree. We NEED to run more next year. IW’s decision making in the open floor is damn near perfect. He will have two wings running alongside him who are both great finishers and can also spot up as needed. Then the secondary break for lobs/drops to Murphy, Curry, Oturu.

I think the effect of the lack of good players around him (and Mason) has been WAY understated. That put so much pressure on the guards to force plays, and that affects shooting percentage, turnovers, etc. Should be much better that way next year.

When the team cannot effectively accomplish a pick n roll your point guard is going to struggle.

100% agree. We NEED to run more next year. IW’s decision making in the open floor is damn near perfect. He will have two wings running alongside him who are both great finishers and can also spot up as needed. Then the secondary break for lobs/drops to Murphy, Curry, Oturu.

Yes. Washington pushes the ball up the court like no other. A strength of our wings and bigs as well. Unboring team for sure. Dunk city.

I think that this is a very good point. Hurt is a solid role player that can eat like 12-15 min a game, Konate and Gas have no business being in the B1G, and Harris might be a solid player in the future but just wasn't quite there yet (not saying he didn't play well). Missing Coffey and Dupree hurt us badly especially when we have the worst player on the floor every game at the 5. I wish we could recruit a complete scorer at the 2/3 in one of these classes. I know Coffey can do it both but he just isn't that assertive.

Top Bottom