Pitino's buyout: $4.05 million

To be clear. I am NOT saying Pitino is a bad coach. He does appear to be a better recruiter than recent Gopher coaches. But I still have real questions about his ability as a bench coach - his ability to coach the players and make in-game adjustments. I am not willing to give him a pass for everything that happens because of some injuries and a suspension.

The Gophers need to really show me something next year before I am ready to say Pitino is the long-term answer for this program.
Kindly, where is the evidence on the recruiting?

Kindly, where is the evidence on the recruiting?

To be perfectly honest, I was trying to offer an olive branch to the Pitino supporters. I didn't want to sound too harsh, so I was trying to find something nice to say about Pitino. I should have just left that sentence out of the post.

That's the thing about Pitino - for every plus, there's a minus. And that makes him harder to evaluate. Every time I think he's showing progress, there seems to be a step backwards. He has landed some decent players. He also also swung and missed on some players. For all the hype, Washington IMHO didn't live up to his billing until the last few games of the season.

The three incoming FR need to come through. If they can play, that certainly helps Pitino's standing as a recruiter. But - and we don't talk about this enough - how much of that is due to the assistant coaches, and how much is due to Pitino?

Next year is going to be pivotal for Pitino and for the Gopher program. we'll see what happens.

To be perfectly honest, I was trying to offer an olive branch to the Pitino supporters. I didn't want to sound too harsh, so I was trying to find something nice to say about Pitino. I should have just left that sentence out of the post.

That's the thing about Pitino - for every plus, there's a minus. And that makes him harder to evaluate. Every time I think he's showing progress, there seems to be a step backwards. He has landed some decent players. He also also swung and missed on some players. For all the hype, Washington IMHO didn't live up to his billing until the last few games of the season.

The three incoming FR need to come through. If they can play, that certainly helps Pitino's standing as a recruiter. But - and we don't talk about this enough - how much of that is due to the assistant coaches, and how much is due to Pitino?

Next year is going to be pivotal for Pitino and for the Gopher program. we'll see what happens.

Yes, as a Pitino backer it's much easier to make my case if 1) the freshmen come thru next season and 2) we get a very good recruiting class for the next year as well. Can't overstate the importance of thiese. At least one of these two has to happen. If neither happen, will be tough for coach.

He more or less has tenure until another scandal happens. He will be as good as any coach Coyle could afford to hire after paying a 4 million dollar buy out to Pitino the younger this year. The Big Ten from top to bottom is as weak as it has been in a long time. IF Pitnio the younger is named conference coy in 2018/2019 he will receive a five year extension with a raise. He will then become untouchable and truly will have achieved tenure status here at Minnesota.

PS and to whom it may concern (NOT you SON): back in my era, anyone named Richard much preferred to be called Dick. Dick was a very honorable name way back then. We also had prexys that we lovingly called IKE...Harry...Jack. We didn't take ourselves so incredibly seriously, I guess. You will NOT teach an old dog new tricks...In the end it really doesn't matter. Upon further consideration, Pitino the younger has my endorsement 9as if that mattered) barring any more scandals. The administration and the athletic director are not good faces for the athletic department and/or the University of Minnesota, based upon MANY factors...once again not that my endorsement means anything other than me having some fun and stating an opinion. Now that I think of it...nothing really matters, any way.

Top Bottom