Pitino's buyout: $4.05 million

cjbfbp

Reaction score
That was reported in a Strib article within the last week exploring the dimensions of terminating Pitino, Lucia, and Stollings.

Hmmm....how long is the payout period?

I do agree there is a small possibility of him being gone. That would be if there is behind the scenes stuff between Coyle and Pitino we don’t know about. If there is I could see it. Without that I don’t think there is any way.

Coyles to do list. Tell Pitino thanks for coaching good guy but we’re moving on. Call Hurley and likely get denied. Call Musselman and decent shot we get him. If not try guys like Forbes randy Bennett. Worst case we get great coach in Niko Medved who is gopher grad and would bring outstanding assistant in Dave Thoson and we win recruiting battles at home.

Pitino’s in the mix for multiple 5 stars, is already bringing in a great class and y’all want to fire him? Give him a healthy team and this team is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stop it people. Get a clue. Pitino is the best recruiter we have had in a very long time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

He’s made tournie once in his time. Lost at least 5 straight big ten games every year. This year yeah we had injuries but good coaches always have there players defending no matter athleticism. Look at Wisconsin under Ryan. Not insanely athletic but lock down defense. Virginia hasn’t had a ton of great recruits (good players though) over years but lock down defense. Can always bring defense and we have only had 1 good defensive team under Pitino (rest have sucked)

He’s made tournie once in his time. Lost at least 5 straight big ten games every year. This year yeah we had injuries but good coaches always have there players defending no matter athleticism. Look at Wisconsin under Ryan. Not insanely athletic but lock down defense. Virginia hasn’t had a ton of great recruits (good players though) over years but lock down defense. Can always bring defense and we have only had 1 good defensive team under Pitino (rest have sucked)

We’ve had ~1.5 teams where the players haven’t sucked.

Not to mention defense was good in large part to big shot blocker with lynch. That has nothing to do with coaching schemes. I remember watching Miami game beginning of year and we got crazy out coached

Pitino is the best recruiter we have had in a very long time.

OK, let's go through the list (including only those who have played).

The good: Mason, Murphy, Coffey, Lynch (That's still not anywhere close to top of the conference talent for three recruiting classes)

Might be very good: Washington

So-so: King, McBrayer

Might be decent: Harris

A longer list:

McNeil
Dorsey
Martin
Morris
Konate
Diedhou
Gilbert
Hurt
Fitzgerald

He has some good "hits" but he has even more bad "misses."

Under Coyle the following programs have been destroyed:

-Football
-Wrestling
-Hockey
-Basketball

He has accomplished much in a short period of time.

Richard Pitino will be head coach of the University of Minnesota in 5 years.

Not to mention defense was good in large part to big shot blocker with lynch. That has nothing to do with coaching schemes. I remember watching Miami game beginning of year and we got crazy out coached

I can't think of more than 2-3 games in years 2-5 where we were the lesser-talented team and won. I can think of a lot of the reverse.

Coyle has also lost the the woman's softball coach.

Good luck in the future with management of Coyle and Kaler.

They handled football scandals last year awful. However, I love pj fleck and give him some time and you’ll be glad you did

The Men's Revenue Coaches OWN Coyle. You will be a well-satisfied poster if you want Dick Pitino as the Men's Hoops Coach. Coyle will pretty much appear anti-social, uncomfortable and WAY behind the scenes until buy-outs have reached very modest levels.

When is it mandated retirement time for Prexy K?

AND: "...so it goes..."

You guys follow basketball way more than me. My gut feeling is Pitino will be back. I just cant see him getting fired.

He should be back unless they can hire a great coach and there are few of those kind, thus the word great. His buyout is fairly small at just over 4 million. Several coaches have buyouts well north of 15 to 30 Million ! No bonuses either and small offerings compared to others. Some coaches are getting 250,000 for winning the ACC . Look what Holtman got in total compensation in year one ! We still have massive debt on the village and poor attendance in football and hoops and in fact Teague way over paid Pitino.

Even if they had this big of a disappointment WITH Lynch and Coffey, he still would likely get a mulligan and one more year to make it right.

It can't really get any worse than this year based on the guys that are coming back, plus the incoming class is promising.

The bare minimum bar for next year is to at least be in the mix for the NCAA tournament. I think it would be reasonable to let him go if they finish bottom half of the league next year.

While I think Pitino seems like a reasonably good guy (how much does it matter?) and solid recruiter, the results simply are not there.

I struggle to balance the fact that he's done a solid job with academics and recruiting, both of which are very important, against multiple student-athlete conduct issues, a lack of depth recruiting, injuries that suggest improper training (or some type of player fragility), and a massive lack of results.

The idea that things can't get any worse because Pitino recruited well doesn't hold water, unfortunately (e.g., 2015-16). Pitino did well in his first year with Tubby's players and again in his fourth year when expectations were non-existent. Otherwise, his teams have not performed well and have not shown an inability to innovate/adapt, react to change, fill in the skills gaps as needed, etc.

The Gophers consistently seem to lack efficiency in their overall performance, which includes confusion and stagnation with the offense, mediocre shooting, too much dribbling, no defined style of play, inconsistent FT shooting, not enough passing on offense, poor pick setting, a lack of (or no real) inbounds plays, etc.

Pitino will almost certainly be the coach next year, for better or worse. It seems like guys play hard but there doesn't seem to be any effective structure to guide them. It continues to be a tough team to watch and there's no real hope for improvement. How many times does a coach with Pitino's record suddenly develop a consistently strong record over time?!? Unlikely.

Go back to your basements and keep drinking everyone. Y'all seem to think Minnesota is this blue blood program where we win championships on the regular. Stop acting like we have such a prestigious record of coaching and recruiting successes. Pitino has improved in recruiting every year. He is slowly locking down the MN border (which I could care less about unlike gopherhole, get me talent over local kids any day). Yes this year sucked, but if not for injury, things could look much different. The bottom of our roster is bad because we had to take a few fliers early on in his tenure. It's unfortunate that they got forced into action heavily, rather than being role players as intended. And for those clamoring on about how Pitino can't coach, watch his play calling out of timeouts. We score at a high percentage. I agree our offensive playcalling needs revised, but it would have looked a lot different with a full squad. I'm pissed and hating the hot takes here tonight(and after any loss), so I'm logging out. I plan on doing a deep dive into statistics soon to prove these wannabe AD's don't actually know anything about cbb tho

Even if they had this big of a disappointment WITH Lynch and Coffey, he still would likely get a mulligan and one more year to make it right.

It can't really get any worse than this year based on the guys that are coming back, plus the incoming class is promising.

The bare minimum bar for next year is to at least be in the mix for the NCAA tournament. I think it would be reasonable to let him go if they finish bottom half of the league next year.

In the mix for the tournament? I think that if we miss the tournament, he will be gone for sure. 5 years ago, we set the standard that only going to the round of 32 was a fireable offense. 1 tournament in 6 years won't cut it.

Stop it people. Get a clue. Pitino is the best recruiter we have had in a very long time.

The facts don't bear that out. As I've posted before, both Monson and Smith had recruited a 5-star player by this point in their tenures. Pitino hasn't brought in a guy yet who's ended up playing in the NBA. Every other Gopher coach since before I was born has been able to do that, some with regularity.

The facts don't bear that out. As I've posted before, both Monson and Smith had recruited a 5-star player by this point in their tenures. Pitino hasn't brought in a guy yet who's ended up playing in the NBA. Every other Gopher coach since before I was born has been able to do that, some with regularity.

I think it's the social media effect, for some reason people perceive him as a much better recruiter which he clearly is not. These players are constantly hyped in feeds and it
clearly has created a biased view of these recruits and classes.

Coyles to do list. Tell Pitino thanks for coaching good guy but we’re moving on. Call Hurley and likely get denied. Call Musselman and decent shot we get him. If not try guys like Forbes randy Bennett. Worst case we get great coach in Niko Medved who is gopher grad and would bring outstanding assistant in Dave Thoson and we win recruiting battles at home.

Hurley?? He has a 19-31 PAC 12 record at ASU. No thanks

Hurley?? He has a 19-31 PAC 12 record at ASU. No thanks

Pretty sure he's talking about Dan Hurley, who inherited a terrible Rhode Island squad, took them to the second round in year 5, and now may take them even further in year 6. It's crazy how some coaches actually continue to get better results the longer they're at a program!

I'd love Dan Hurley here, but he's lived, worked, and played his entire life/career in the Northeast - I'd be shocked if he left that area to go anywhere else, especially to come here.

Under Coyle the following programs have been destroyed:

-Football
-Wrestling
-Hockey
-Basketball

He has accomplished much in a short period of time.

Hockey was destroyed before Coyle. Football is in the best shape it’s been in in the last 50 years. Coyle didn’t hire Pitino. Go back to your cave.

Give Pitino one more year and if the team sucks next year, can him.

He does need to do a better job at locking up the best players from MN. Too many of them flee. There's a great kid at Lakeville North (Tyler Wahl) that is being looked at by teams such as Ohio State, but not one look from the Gophers from what I'm hearing. I don't get why we let so many of these players flee the state.

Top Bottom