I need a break

Reaction score
I am a true homer when it comes to Gopher Bball. I will take a long break from anything Gopher Bball. Very warn out!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Is 8 months enough?

This season felt like a new low as it started with so much promise. On top of tonight's loss I received an email telling me my season tickets would cost more next year. Needless to say this prompted an unhappy phone call to the fans relations department.

This season felt like a new low as it started with so much promise. On top of tonight's loss I received an email telling me my season tickets would cost more next year. Needless to say this prompted an unhappy phone call to the fans relations department.

The U marketing department sure has a keen sense of timing, eh?

Ouch

I'm going to try and forget this season and revert to nostalgia for the days when we were disgruntled about finishing 6-12 in a conference schedule...as opposed to AVERAGING 6.2 conference wins over a five-year period.

What kills me is when people say the offense is stagnant - they do not move the ball etc... The offense is bad because they can not shoot at all. Not only were they missing 3's tonight but they were all bricks! How many lay ups do we miss (Hurt all year!) And Murphy can not try to dribble from afar! I will welcome 6 guys back next year who didnt suit up tonight! Hurt, Fitzgerald and Harris will be the last ones in next year. Coffey, Curry, 3 athletic recruits, 7 foot transfer (who can catch the ball I hear) and hopefully one more guard recruit and a healthy McBrear to boot! Bring it on!!!!

What kills me is when people say the offense is stagnant - they do not move the ball etc... The offense is bad because they can not shoot at all. Not only were they missing 3's tonight but they were all bricks! How many lay ups do we miss (Hurt all year!) And Murphy can not try to dribble from afar! I will welcome 6 guys back next year who didnt suit up tonight! Hurt, Fitzgerald and Harris will be the last ones in next year. Coffey, Curry, 3 athletic recruits, 7 foot transfer (who can catch the ball I hear) and hopefully one more guard recruit and a healthy McBrear to boot! Bring it on!!!!

Totally agree. We played most of the year this year with 2-4 guys on the floor that should not be playing on a Big 10 team. Simple as that. We were bad, bad, bad. Fans can gripe all they want about bad defense, wrong this and wrong that, but the fact of the matter is that many of these guys just are too slow, too short, too un-athletic, and too poor at shooting to help the team win. (Not to mention lacking basketball instinct).

We need to get to the point where we have 10 Big 10 players on the roster. Three MIAC bench-warmers are OK as long as they play mop-up minutes only. That’s Fitz, Hurt and Harris, sorry to say. Maybe (Big maybe) Harris and Hurt will prove me wrong, but I now doubt it. If we get a competent grad-transfer point (I know, big if), we will have 10 legit Big 10 players:
PG: Washington, Transfer
SG: McBrayer, Gabe K
SF: Coffey
PF: Murphy, Omersa
C: Oturu, Curry, Stockman
MIAC Bench: Harris, Fitz, Hurt

I like that roster, but the transfer point guard is key. I’m also taking a leap to say that Omersa and Gabe are definite Big 10 players. If they aren’t, we will be in trouble. Of course, Curry will play both C and PF. I wish we could trade one of the MIAC guys for a small forward that can shoot. Oh, well. I’m still looking forward to next year. This year was depressing, but I blame bad luck more than the coach and players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Stockman in, Curry back, Dupree and Coffey 100% Healthy

- Murphy contending for B1G POY

- Harris and Washington taking a step forward

- Kalscheur-Oturu-Omersa all potentially solid contributors in year 1.

Lots of things that *COULD* go right for the team. It's not beyond the realm that this team is a top 4 B1G team next year. Purdue, MSU will be down after losing key guys, and the rest of the conference is still mired in mediocrity.

Good riddance you fair weather fan. Go cheer on bucky, we don't want you

Lots of things that *COULD* go right for the team. It's not beyond the realm that this team is a top 4 B1G team next year. Purdue, MSU will be down after losing key guys, and the rest of the conference is still mired in mediocrity.

MSU could have some serious problems next year and Purdue loses four starters.

People are selling hope with Stockman.

People are selling hope with Stockman.

Going into the 6th year of Pitino’s tenure that is where this program is at - selling hope and holding out for all the things that “COULD” go right.

It was a long season, but many of the reasons were out of the coach’ control. We lose Mason and our two least talented players from this squad. We go from 1 competent big to potentially 4 next year. Curry looked great in year 1, DO is a top 50 recruit, and Stockman will almost surely be better than Konate/Diehiou. I think Washington improved a lot during the season and I think his first year against B1G competition will motivate him this summer.

Totally agree. We played most of the year this year with 2-4 guys on the floor that should not be playing on a Big 10 team. Simple as that. We were bad, bad, bad. Fans can gripe all they want about bad defense, wrong this and wrong that, but the fact of the matter is that many of these guys just are too slow, too short, too un-athletic, and too poor at shooting to help the team win. (Not to mention lacking basketball instinct).

We need to get to the point where we have 10 Big 10 players on the roster. Three MIAC bench-warmers are OK as long as they play mop-up minutes only. That’s Fitz, Hurt and Harris, sorry to say. Maybe (Big maybe) Harris and Hurt will prove me wrong, but I now doubt it. If we get a competent grad-transfer point (I know, big if), we will have 10 legit Big 10 players:
PG: Washington, Transfer
SG: McBrayer, Gabe K
SF: Coffey
PF: Murphy, Omersa
C: Oturu, Curry, Stockman
MIAC Bench: Harris, Fitz, Hurt

I like that roster, but the transfer point guard is key. I’m also taking a leap to say that Omersa and Gabe are definite Big 10 players. If they aren’t, we will be in trouble. Of course, Curry will play both C and PF. I wish we could trade one of the MIAC guys for a small forward that can shoot. Oh, well. I’m still looking forward to next year. This year was depressing, but I blame bad luck more than the coach and players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You nailed it.

They were down to 3-1/2 guys who were ready and able to play Big Ten ball by the end of the year- Murph, Mason, Washington and half of McBrayer. The rest of the guys killed either the offense or the defense or both.

Fitz is just not good on either end.

Harris plays hard but he gets abused on defense when they find mismatches and he hasn't been hitting threes with the regularity he needs to in order to be on the floor.

Hurt played his butt off last night but he just cannot finish a shot to save his life. His shot looks terrible. So when he is on the floor he is fine on defense but does nothing on offense.

Konate- you just can't throw the ball to him on offense and he is a fouling machine on defense. In addition he misses a bunch of rebounds because of slow reaction time or fumble hands.

9th man is Gaston. Need I say more?

There is no excuse for Pitino to have this poor of a bench hence forth. This has to be a one time event - as you correctly stated, you have to have 10+ Big Ten ability players. I think Hurt can become good enough to be a good 8th or 9th man in the next two years by working on his shot and muscling up. I hope they are adding two more quality players- a PG and a good shooter at small forward.

The one bright spot last night- Washington continues to show he is going to be a terrific player going forward.

What kills me is when people say the offense is stagnant - they do not move the ball etc... The offense is bad because they can not shoot at all

Both. There was a lot of dribbling without a purpose last night, pass and move the ball!

Both. There was a lot of dribbling without a purpose last night, pass and move the ball!

There were a few moments in the game last night where you could tell the play had broken down and then they would go to 1 on 1 mode. I wish someone would have at least pulled the ball out and do a high screen and roll with Konate or Murphy.

Jamir had a rough game last night, he gave up a couple easy buckets and a couple times didn't appear to know what play was being run and on one occasion ran into Nate while he was dribbling. If he could improve his handle and quickness a little bit I think he could be a fine 4 year player. You can tell the shooting capability is there, but he looked confused out there at times.

I'm with you, OP. I started my Gopher basketball break in late January. I've been better for it.

I'll hope I don't see any red text and Gopher pictures on ESPN for now and wait for November when things ought to be brighter with some new faces and a new non-con silly season to crush.

8th to 10th would be about right heading into 2018-19

Top 4?

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin. On paper, all teams I'd expect to be at least as good as the Gophers, and/or over-perform relative to their talent level. I think 8th to 10th not yet knowing which players will leave for the NBA excluding the obvious ones (Bates-Diop, Bridges, Jackson Jr.) would be a fair placement of the Gophers heading into 2018-19.

There were a few moments in the game last night where you could tell the play had broken down and then they would go to 1 on 1 mode. I wish someone would have at least pulled the ball out and do a high screen and roll with Konate or Murphy.

Jamir had a rough game last night, he gave up a couple easy buckets and a couple times didn't appear to know what play was being run and on one occasion ran into Nate while he was dribbling. If he could improve his handle and quickness a little bit I think he could be a fine 4 year player. You can tell the shooting capability is there, but he looked confused out there at times.

We are easy to break down by opposing defenses because they don't have to respect two of the players on the floor for us. Konate and Hurt are just not going to score. Same with Gas and Fitz. Fitz' outside shot is such that they just dare him to shoot. So Pitino had to resort to going small with Washington, Mason, McBrayer, Hurt or Fitz and Murphy... and they we got hammered on the boards.

There were just no remaining winning levers to pull with this team...

As to Jamir, the problem is that he is too small to play along side Washington on defense. As a two guard on defense he will get abused often. If he is going to play much he will have to learn to play some back up PG.

Top 4?

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin. On paper, all teams I'd expect to be at least as good as the Gophers, and/or over-perform relative to their talent level. I think 8th to 10th not yet knowing which players will leave for the NBA excluding the obvious ones (Bates-Diop, Bridges, Jackson Jr.) would be a fair placement of the Gophers heading into 2018-19.

That sounds about right. This year, the 8th place team had 8 wins, and the 10th place team had 6 wins. That range should be the reasonable expectation.

Early look at next year

If we keep all our main guys and are healthy I can see us anywhere from1-6. I do not agree about Illinois, Indiana, and Iowa being as good as we are.

** I will not rate Michigan St. likely looses Bridges and Jackson. Could be in lots of trouble though with the fraud investigation. Doesn't have a great recruiting class either.

1. Ohio St. returns Jackson, Diop, and Wesson.
2. Nebraska should be good if Palmer returns joining Copeland, Watson, and Roby.
3. Maryland is young and has the best recruiting class in big ten.
4. Michigan will be good if Wagner returns. Plenty of guards and wings.
5. Mn with Murphy, Coffey, Wash, McBrayer, Curry and a very solid recruiting class.
6. Penn St returns Carr, Stevens, and Watkins.
7. '18 worst Wisconsin team in a decade; Happ is great, Davidson and Reuvers will be improved.
8. Purdue loses 4 senior starters. Carsen has to carry this team.
9. Indiana returns Morgan and DeRon but loses its backcourt.
10. Disappointing Northwestern loses backcourt of McIntosh and Lindsey. Has Victor Law.
11. Iowa had as bad of a year as we did with no injuries! No defense.
12. Rutgers returning Sanders, Baker and some other youngsters.
13.Illinois need to prove something to consider them anything but cannon fodder.

Top 4?

It was a long season, but many of the reasons were out of the coach’ control. We lose Mason and our two least talented players from this squad. We go from 1 competent big to potentially 4 next year. Curry looked great in year 1, DO is a top 50 recruit, and Stockman will almost surely be better than Konate/Diehiou. I think Washington improved a lot during the season and I think his first year against B1G competition will motivate him this summer.

This is pretty similar to what we were all saying last year at this time.

"Hey, we only lose Akeem. Everyone else who matters is back." "Coffey and Curry will only get better in their second year." "Jelly will give us another great scorer. Hope he doesn't leave for the NBA too soon."

But hey, maybe it will come true next year.

This is pretty similar to what we were all saying last year at this time.

"Hey, we only lose Akeem. Everyone else who matters is back." "Coffey and Curry will only get better in their second year." "Jelly will give us another great scorer. Hope he doesn't leave for the NBA too soon."

But hey, maybe it will come true next year.

And the year before that it was “Springs is a mid-major player who shoots 35% from 3, don’t get your hopes up.” “Coffey and Curry are freshmen, they’ll come off the bench, Coffey isn’t going to save this team.” “Get 7 or 8 conference wins and a decent NIT seed and the season is a success.”

I’ll admit the Washington hype got excessive with talk of him taking Mason’s job as starting PG or being one and done, though he’s ended the season strong. Didn’t he have like 19 points the last two games? But the only reason those other things didn’t pan out was because of injuries and the Lynch suspension. I disagree with chiding fans as being irrationally optimistic by not predicting that we’d lose 3 starters and our 6th man.

Odds of us losing 3.5 of our top 7 players two years in a row would be hard to take. I am thinking in an average year you may or may not lose 1 player, while 2-3 others might miss some games from injury, suspension. It is hard to keep being optimistic for "next year" after the high expectations this year and all the issues.

As I've said before, if everything goes right next year (?) the Gophers have a chance to be top half of the conference.

BUT - if everything does not go right, then the Gophers could easily wind up in the bottom third of the conference again.

My minimum expectations for next year - stay out of the first day of the conference tournament. that's it. just be the #10 seed or higher. I will not expect any more than that until I see Stockman and the true FR on the court, and I see how Curry and Coffey look coming back from injuries/surgeries.

Top Bottom