Holding the ball

brucekaupa

**** Commander
Reaction score
All of this talk about Marshall/Waseca has me recalling a pre-shot clock game with the Gopher at Indiana, probably around ‘85 or so. Indiana had a lead at halftime and started the 2nd half by holding the ball for what I think was the first 15 minutes.

Does anyone recall that game?

All of this talk about Marshall/Waseca has me recalling a pre-shot clock game with the Gopher at Indiana, probably around ‘85 or so. Indiana had a lead at halftime and started the 2nd half by holding the ball for what I think was the first 15 minutes.

Does anyone recall that game?

Bruce, it may have been '75 or '76. I recall Indiana gaining maybe a 2 point lead and then going into a 4 corners offense until someone cut to the basket for a layup when a defender relaxed/fell asleep from boredom. Thankfully there's a shot clock now.

Bruce, it may have been '75 or '76. I recall Indiana gaining maybe a 2 point lead and then going into a 4 corners offense until someone cut to the basket for a layup when a defender relaxed/fell asleep from boredom. Thankfully there's a shot clock now.
Indiana University 1976 National Champions. 32-0 Bobby Wilkerson, Quinn Buckner, Scott May, Kent Benson, and Todd Abernathy. They kicked Michigan's Maize and Blue ass by almost 20 points in the championship game using the 4 corner offense for much of the 2nd half.

Indiana University 1976 National Champions. 32-0 Bobby Wilkerson, Quinn Buckner, Scott May, Kent Benson, and Todd Abernathy. They kicked Michigan's Maize and Blue ass by almost 20 points in the championship game using the 4 corner offense for much of the 2nd half.

That 76 team averaged close to 85 points a game and that was without a 3 point line. Our firm represented Knight then and i attended a great many games. He was a master teacher , They ran motion in the half court but ran very well. They had cohesion perhaps unequalled and really a perfect team. Defense was lock down man.

Nah. It was early to mid 80s. Was watching game from home today probably CBS and I wasn’t interested enough to watch games until after 81

I thinkI’m recalling the game from February 2, 1985 at assembly Hall. Indiana had a 33 point lead at halftime. They came out in the second half and I remember being angry that they were holding the ball for so long on every possession. Clearly my recollection and 15 minutes wasn’t accurate, but still I remember them using the lack of the shot clock to their extreme advantage in that half

That could be, Bruce. The shot clock was added the next season ('85-'86). Bobby Knight's teams were always well-coached and fundamentally sound. Prior to the shot clock implementation they were tough to beat once they had a lead. They wouldn't shoot unless it was a very good shot.

I remember watching this game as well. Early 80’s I believe. They held the ball s Gerald possessions for 5 or so minutes at a time doing hardly anything.

Top Bottom