***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA VS RUTGERS IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

I've supported Pitino for the last three years. After tonight's exhibition, I am beginning to wonder. Yes I understand the injuries and the suspension but when I watch, I really haven't seen any semblance of an organized offense. Mason certainly hasn't improved, Murphy didn't develop as an offensive threat, Washington, while certainly skillful, didn't buy in to the team aspect. All of these things are the direct result of the Head Coach. Could we find someone better, maybe. At least find someone who is alive and shows some emotion. Perhaps his Father's problems are affecting his actions.
I get people thinking pitino did a bad job this year and actually agree. But to say mason hasn’t improved under pitino is ridiculous. To say that Murphy isn’t better offensively this year compared to last is ridiculous. To say washington isn’t a team guy is just throwing stuff against the wall.

Plenty to rip pitino for. I’d pick your spots better.
Two false things and one pure opinion is not really a good argument.

Probably the most disappointing season I've had a Gophers fan, to go from top 20 and possible final four sleeper to this.

+1. The year that Al Nolen broke his foot was similar, but at least they lost a bunch of close games instead of getting whipped 3/4 of the time.

Since U coaches are allowed to put personal symbols on uniforms, maybe there should be a silhouette of a guy with both hands around his neck on next year's uniforms.
At least that symbol would be representative of the school's history.

I get people thinking pitino did a bad job this year and actually agree. But to say mason hasn’t improved under pitino is ridiculous. To say that Murphy isn’t better offensively this year compared to last is ridiculous. To say washington isn’t a team guy is just throwing stuff against the wall.

Do you have to average 30 points a game or something to be considered an offensive threat? LOL

Upset? No. Excited about next year? No.

What do you hope to accomplish by continually saying they should fire the coach. Even if you are right they aren’t firing the coach. You just seem depressing. I feel bad for you and your family.

What do you hope to accomplish by continually saying they should fire the coach. Even if you are right they aren’t firing the coach. You just seem depressing. I feel bad for you and your family.

I'm not trying to accomplish anything. This is a board for discussing Gopher basketball. Continuously? Give me a break. I haven't said anything 6 other people on this thread haven't said too.

Stooping to personal insults because of it? Get over yourself. There's the ignore button. Use it.

Continuously? Give me a break. I haven't said anything 6 other people on this thread haven't said too.

Stooping to personal insults because of it? Get over yourself.

I am not insulting you. Saying I think you are depressing isn’t an insult.
I actually agree with most of your criticisms of Pitino’s management. I think he had bad rotations. Team played bad defense. Didn’t box out. Didn’t run offensive sets that matched their abilities.

But I’ve also not let it consume my gopher experience the past 4 weeks. You seem like a depressing person. Not an insult, just an observation.

Even if you are right they aren’t firing the coach.

I don't think they are going to fire the coach but I don't know that for sure and neither do you. I remember quite a few Iowa fans saying the same thing the day before Iowa fired Todd Lickliter.

I actually agree with most of your criticisms of Pitino’s management. I think he had bad rotations. Team played bad defense. Didn’t box out. Didn’t run offensive sets that matched their abilities.

But I’ve also not let it consume my gopher experience the past 4 weeks. You seem like a depressing person. Not an insult, just an observation.

You feel sorry for my family isn't an insult? GFY. Just put me on ignore and move on with your life.

I don't think they are going to fire the coach but I don't know that for sure and neither do you. I remember quite a few Iowa fans saying the same thing the day before Iowa fired Todd Lickliter.

If they fire the coach I’ll jump on the hire that guy from Nevada bandwagon.

They aren’t firing the coach.

You feel sorry for my family isn't an insult? GFY. Just put me on ignore and move on with your life.

I don’t really want to ignore you. I’m a little upset about the season but then it was how upset others are and I feel a little better

Passive/agressive: Party of one.

Passive/agressive: Party of one.
Well if he thinks sounding depressing is an insult maybe he shouldn’t be so negative
Not really sure how it is passive aggressive. I’m telling him exactly what I think of him.

This season was over the day Lynch was suspended and Coffey got hurt. Dupree played most of the Big 10 season on one leg, Curry blows out his knee before the season and yet somehow our head coach is terrible and should be fired because he can't win without 4 of his top 6 players most of the season. My lord people, calm down. Not one coach in the country could win under these circumstances.

They couldn't hold a practice before the tournament because they didn't have enough upright bodies for God's sake. Mason had to rest with a bad hip, and Bakary had the flu. I feel terrible for Nate, one of the better players in program history has to go out like this. I'm curious to know where he'd be stat-wise without the suspension two years ago.

Rutgers killed us on the glass, but that was expected. They're the best rebounding team in the Big Ten. Michael Hurt probably feels like he got in a car wreck tonight. How many times does a guy have to get clobbered in the lane to get a call? Officiating was horrid tonight, both ways.

The only starter we lose next year, barring any more injuries, is Mason. Need another PG so the ball-handling load isn't all on IW. But the front-court of Murphy, Curry, Oturu and Omersa should be a fun group to watch. If Kalscheur can hit shots consistently, he'll play. If tonight was any indication, we need more shooters. Harris was extremely passive tonight, didn't even remotely look for a shot all night. No idea what happened there.

I'm curious to see what happens before next season. Pitino said on his radio show yesterday he still has scholarship(s) open for next year. Don't know if that was a slip-up or if he already knows of somebody leaving. Transfers happen every year, but there's a reason he's offered multiple guards and a post player recently. I firmly believe if everyone stays healthy, next year's group can be as good as this year's team was anticipated to be before everything derailed.

Not one coach in the country could win under these circumstances.

I think some coaches could have done better than a 2-14 conference stretch to finish the season. Why did we have five players like Konate, Gas, Fitzgerald (3 years of scholarship for one mediocre year of playing time), Hurt, and a sit-out transfer (who will get 2 years of scholarship for one year of playing time) all on the roster at the same time?

For about 2 million per year you need to be good and/or lucky. He's doesn't appear to be much of either.

Don't forget. We're not talking about one bad year here. This is the third year of his five year tenure that we've played on Wednesday of the BTT and the second time we've lost that game.

Don't forget. We're not talking about one bad year here. This is the third year of his five year tenure that we've played on Wednesday of the BTT and the second time we've lost that game.

Let's throw out this season because of the disastrous misfortune. We're still talking about 6.75 conference wins per year, and next year is looking like about 7. That's not what I'd hoped when we made this hire.

Murph is better close to the basket. Does not have a mid range J, and that is what is keeping him from being top notch offensively.

I think some coaches could have done better than a 2-14 conference stretch to finish the season. Why did we have five players like Konate, Gas, Fitzgerald (3 years of scholarship for one mediocre year of playing time), Hurt, and a sit-out transfer (who will get 2 years of scholarship for one year of playing time) all on the roster at the same time?

For about 2 million per year you need to be good and/or lucky. He's doesn't appear to be much of either.

If Michigan State has dealt with our circumstances, they arguably would’ve been worse. Depth issues aren’t exclusively a Minnesota problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since U coaches are allowed to put personal symbols on uniforms, maybe there should be a silhouette of a guy with both hands around his neck on next year's uniforms.
At least that symbol would be representative of the school's history.
Pretty much. Plus it would help recruiting. The kids love that stuff.

While I agree, would people really be that much happier with this season if they went 4-12 in that stretch instead?

I’m told the Gophers have this great core coming back.

Much of the core which was part of losing 14 out of their last 16.

How can you not be psyched for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Questionable take. No reason to be excited about Oturu coming to the team. No reason to be excited about seeing Matz instead of Bakary or Gaston (forgot little Richard was only doing his dad a favor) No reason to be excited about the future of Washington, Murphy, Coffey, and McBrayer.

Losing Bakary and Gaston instantly make this team better, with the additions of Oturu, Curry, and Matz. There will be depth, which will allow our bigs to be more aggressive. We will be a dang good team next year, even with losing Mason. Next years success will depend if we can land a Graduate PG, because an injury to Washington and we have no one behind him to take control of the ball.

While I agree, would people really be that much happier with this season if they went 4-12 in that stretch instead?

It wasn't just the # of wins, but the # of blowouts. Even the 15-16 team was mostly competitive up until they had no guards.

14 seed Rutgers no match for Indiana.
We lost to Rutgers. Rutgers down by 14 early. According to the transitive powers we would have zero points if we were playing Indiana...[emoji41]

Absolutely. Pitino's backers like to make the strawman argument by saying that injuries and suspensions hurt the team. Of course they did, but that doesn't need to cause a complete collapse where incidents of poor effort and all out confusion were commonplace.

We lost to Rutgers. Rutgers down by 14 early. According to the transitive powers we would have zero points if we were playing Indiana...[emoji41]

Spoke too soon! Scarlet Knight have HEART.

Top Bottom