STrib: In Jordan Murphy's corner this season in Minneapolis: Mom and Dad; next yr too

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Jordan Murphy’s parents were only able to attend one of his home games in his first two seasons with the Gophers. With his career blossoming this season, they wanted to see more.

So Bernard and Celia Murphy saved up. Not just for a few more trips — they moved from San Antonio to the Twin Cities for the season.

The plan was to be front and center for a fun ride, a run like last year’s trip to the NCAA tournament. Murphy’s mother and father, though, witnessed a rough year instead and have spent the past two months helping their son deal with the frustration of the Gophers’ struggle with injuries, defeats and off-court issues.

“We came right when the Reggie [Lynch] thing happened,” Celia said, referring to Lynch’s suspension in January. “We felt he needed some extra support here through the end of the season.”

“For them to be able to stick around was pretty cool,” Murphy said. “Having my parents here to talk to actually in person was good. I think what we went through just made us stronger as a team. It was most important for everyone to have someone to talk to — and I definitely did with my parents.”

The Murphys arrived in Minneapolis in January, going from temperatures in the 70s in the San Antonio area to the frigid Bold North.

“My dad loves it, but my mom isn’t really a big fan,” Murphy said.

You can bet Murphy’s parents, since they’ve weathered this winter, wouldn’t want to miss his final collegiate season.

“It just means a lot that they came up here for this long,” he said. “I was proud that they were able to save up that much money to come up here. They’ll probably do the same thing next year and be here for my senior night and for some of the season if they can.

http://www.startribune.com/in-jorda...-season-in-minneapolis-mom-and-dad/475334023/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom