NIT to experiment with new rules this season

GopherCountry

Reaction score
Per Espn:

The National Invitation Tournament will experiment with four rule changes for this year's tournament, the NCAA announced Tuesday.

They include:

• A deeper 3-point line. It will be moved back approximately 20 inches to the distance used by FIBA in international competition (22 feet, 1.75 inches).

• A wider free throw lane. It will be extended from 12 to 16 feet, which is used in the NBA.

• Quarters, not halves. The game will still have 40 minutes of game clock, but it will be broken into four 10-minute quarters, which was adopted for the women's college game in 2015. Two free throws are awarded once a team reaches five fouls each quarter.

• After an offensive rebound, the shot clock will reset to 20 seconds, as opposed to the full 30.

The extension of the 3 point line is a catch-22 in that we already cannot shoot, but would teams still shoot the lights out against us?

I don’t like any of them, although the only one that would actually bug me if it went through full time is the 4 quarters. Stay away from the nba game. Keep it with 2 20 minute halves.

I don’t like any of them, although the only one that would actually bug me if it went through full time is the 4 quarters. Stay away from the nba game. Keep it with 2 20 minute halves.

I believe basketball is played in quarters at every level except men’s college hoops, it’s not just an NBA thing. I don’t really have a strong opinion either way though.

I like quarters and the two shots after five fouls. It seems to shorten total game time and provide decent game flow. Of course, game time depends on planned commercial breaks.

I believe basketball is played in quarters at every level except men’s college hoops, it’s not just an NBA thing. I don’t really have a strong opinion either way though.
MN high school: Two 18 minute halves?
I'm not sure that I care what the NIT does since UMN won't be invited.

Top Bottom