All Things Spring Practice 2018 Thread

Last practice, I wasted a whole lot of time trying to find parking on the street near the Athletic Center.

If you don't want to waste time driving around, I highly suggest parking on the 4th Street Ramp that is closest to the Athletic Center.

From SE 4th Street, turn left on SE 17th Ave. The parking ramp is on the left side. From the ramp, cross over 5th Street, and turn left crossing over the railroad bridge. At the end of the railroad bridge, there is a ramp that takes you down to the Athletic Center level and onto the Football Complex.

From SE 4th Street, turn left on SE 17th Ave. The parking ramp is on the left side. From the ramp, cross over 5th Street, and turn left crossing over the railroad bridge. At the end of the railroad bridge, there is a ramp that takes you down to the Athletic Center level and onto the Football Complex.

You’re going to scare a lot of drivers on 4th Street doing that I think.

Last practice, I wasted a whole lot of time trying to find parking on the street near the Athletic Center.

If you don't want to waste time driving around, I highly suggest parking on the 4th Street Ramp that is closest to the Athletic Center.

TY!

You’re going to scare a lot of drivers on 4th Street doing that I think.

y23Q27K.gif

You are right on all points here. On the up side, I don't think we've had this much depth and talent at these three positions since the 2002-05 era.

I hope your right Highwayman but given the complete absence of playing time by guys at all 3 positions I guess I will just shrug my shoulders in that "I don't know, maybe" kind of look. I think TJ for WR is a known quality (pretty good receiver but has to get a little bit more reliable with his hands), Wyler and Greene on the Oline...maybe Olson too. After that??? (Yep, there's that look again) :confused:

OOPS! :confused: From SE University Ave, turn left on SE 17th Ave. SE 4th Street is one way in the opposite direction. Getting you killed driving the wrong way would be a terrible thing.

I went to today's practice, but according to the handout I got it says I can't talk about it on the internet...

I went to today's practice, but according to the handout I got it says I can't talk about it on the internet...

Ffs. Yes, rival coaches are breathlessly waiting on gopherhole to hear opinions on individual players,. Are they going to embargo player identities during the nationally televised spring scrimmage game?

“Do you expect me to talk?”

“No Mr Slab, I expect you to die!”

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6D1nK7q2i8I" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Type two periods at the end of your first sentence (by accident of course) if Annexstad looked surprisingly good.

Misspell your first word of your second sentence if you think Vic was the clear cut #1.
Use too many commas in your second sentence if it seemed like Tanner Morgan was the #1.

per Randy:

The competition for the Gophers’ starting quarterback job is starting to take shape during spring practice, and on Tuesday the number of candidates to be under center for the Aug. 30 season opener against New Mexico State decreased by one.

Seth Green, a third-year sophomore and former East Ridge standout, practiced with the tight ends for the first time, and coach P.J. Fleck said Green could play there or at wide receiver.

“I don’t want to move people just to move them around. We’re going to see how good he is there,’’ said Fleck, who earlier hinted that Green might be moving another position. “… He’s a great athlete. It’s his first day, and he looked like he was doing it the whole time, but he just didn’t have great technique.’’

Fleck’s rationale: Get the 6-4, 229-pound athlete on the field to contribute, even in a depth role.

“A guy like Seth Green is incredibly valuable on special teams and incredibly valuable toward depth at tight end or wide receiver,’’ he said. “Instead of sitting on the bench, we can use him now.’’

With Green changing positions, the competition for the starting job comes down to redshirt freshman Tanner Morgan, junior college transfer Vic Viramontes and true freshman Zack Annexstad, an early enrollee for the spring semester.

Morgan took first-team reps during Tuesday’s practice, the ninth of 15 spring sessions, while Viramontes and Annexstad shared second-team time.

Fleck challenged his QBs, both in Tuesday’s practice and last Thursday’s scrimmage.

“We’re putting them in very chaotic, very tough positions — and sometimes putting them in a position where they might not be successful and see how they respond to it,’’ he said. “And see if they can get themselves out of it.

“Towards the end during the two-minute drill, you could see how young and inexperienced we are,’’ Fleck added. “Sometimes that stage is too big for somebody at this point, sometimes it’s not.’’

http://www.startribune.com/seth-gre...ck-battle-down-to-three-candidates/478714473/

Go Gophers!!

Type two periods at the end of your first sentence (by accident of course) if Annexstad looked surprisingly good.

Misspell your first word of your second sentence if you think Vic was the clear cut #1.
Use too many commas in your second sentence if it seemed like Tanner Morgan was the #1.

Don't forget to start your third sentence with a T, V or Z to signify who throws the prettiest spirals.
Make your fourth sentence end with a W if they were wearing white cleats at practice.

per KSTP:

Gophers wide receiver Tyler Johnson continues to improve his game to where he'll be the hands-down first option in the air attack for 2018.

Johnson had a good sophomore season last year, with nearly 700 yards receiving and seven touchdowns in 10-games. He missed the final two games with a right wrist injury. As a junior, he'll need to adapt to a new quarterback with Conor Rhoda graduating, and Demry Croft transferring. So far in spring practice he likes the direction the offense is going and feels they'll be more in tune with having a year of P.J. Fleck's system under their belt.

"We have to have everyone going in the same direction, and the leaders have got to step up. We know what to expect. All of us are playing our butts off, doing the right thing on and off the field," said Johnson.

The Gophers' spring game is set for Saturday, April 14 at noon.

<iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen src="http://w3.cdn.anvato.net/player/prod/anvload.html?key=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" width ="640" height="360"></iframe>

http://kstp.com/sports/gophers-spring-practice-tuesday-april-3-report-tyler-johnson/4851699/

Go Gophers!!

I'm assuming this isn't the strategy, I hope it isn't, but perhaps they're trying to starve the diehards of information in an attempt to get them to the spring game?

I'm assuming this isn't the strategy, I hope it isn't, but perhaps they're trying to starve the diehards of information in an attempt to get them to the spring game?

I think it is more of a concern about, keeping things secret. Are there secrets to keep, I've no idea, but IMO they should do what they think is best.

They opened two practices, that's enough for me.

It's not like that many people can go anyway, there's not a lot of room on the sidelines.... I was standing with the players during some drills.... I got bumped by the yard marker once....

I think it is less a conspiracy type thing than it is a "Hey we would rather not take the chance of someone watching who shouldn't be watching while we do thing we'd rather they not see."

Practices should be totally be the coach's choice on how they're run, they're not a show (turn on the TV or rent a movie if you want that), we don't buy tickets ... I'd rather they do what they need to and when the big show (game day) starts I'll worry about what I can see.

PJ Fleck the teacher always teaching.

With no pro teams, Omaha World-Herald provides amazing amount of detailed news on Nebraska spring practice, new coaches, new and old players; Minnesota, with spring game Saturday, is an unknown.

per Sid:

• Recommended for Gophers football fans: Make plans for the spring game at noon Saturday at TCF Bank Stadium. It is guaranteed to be a real football contest.

• Speaking of the spring game, coach P.J. Fleck talked about his expectations for his redshirt freshmen. “There is a reason we redshirted them. They have gotten bigger, stronger, faster. … But you’re still young. You’re still freshmen. But again, you can start taking big strides in your redshirt year.”

http://www.startribune.com/joe-maue...-with-twins-nearing-its-conclusion/479063943/

Go Gophers!!

With the forecast showing 36 and 70% chance of freezing rain, any word if they'll be opening up the heated DQ club lounge to the 1,000 fans who actually show up on Saturday?

With the forecast showing 36 and 70% chance of freezing rain, any word if they'll be opening up the heated DQ club lounge to the 1,000 fans who actually show up on Saturday?

1,000 fans? You're joking, right?

Last year after PJ gave a talk in the DQ club they came along and shooed everyone away and out of the club....

Not sure using the "Ultimate Steroid" as he was know to other wrestlers at the time, was the wisest choice. In the promo video, I meant.

per Greder:

QUARTERBACK BATTLE
Redshirt freshman Tanner Morgan had complete control of the Maroon team, while the Gold team’s snaps went primarily to true freshman Zack Annexstad, with sophomore transfer Vic Viramontes playing sparingly. This reflected the pecking order that had been increasingly established during the brief practice sessions open to the media.

Morgan, who has a year-plus in Fleck’s system, went 18 for 28 for 272 yards and two touchdowns to receiver Tyler Johnson. Annexstad completed 11 of 18 passes for 186 yards and TD to Rodney Smith. Viramontes was 1 for 3 for a yard.

Viramontes was the most dynamic of the three quarterbacks running the ball. The dual-threat junior-college addition had six carries for 21 yards, including a 16-yard run. Morgan has eight carries for 24 yards, Annexstad had four for minus-8 yards.

But Viramontes fumbled twice, while Morgan gave it up three times. They lost one apiece.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/04/...-ahead-at-quarterback-tyler-johnson-steps-up/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom