All Things Spring Practice 2018 Thread

Remember Wakey leaks from the end of the 2016 season? That might be a reason.

Kill believed that fans energized the players in practice. It is possible that Fleck believes that having fans there puts undue pressure on the players. Or he may believe that fans may alter how and how hard the players practice.

I don't know, and neither does anyone here. I do like going to open practices with my boys. They play and like watching the position groups work and pick up tips.

But at the end of the day, if the spring game is the only opportunity I get to see the team before fall, I'll just have to live with that, and believe that Fleck is doing everything he believes is correct to best prepare the team for the upcoming season.

I’m perplexed “spying” isn’t a bigger part of the landscape considering the advantages. Historically the NFL and NCAA cloak and dagger stuff is pretty interesting. Belichick and the Pats were of course subject to all sorts of real or exaggerated allegations after Spygate hit in 2008. Reality was...Belichick was just doing his job and seeking out every edge. No word on geese in the facility or music therapy.

The most surprising revelation to come out of Spygate and the aftermath was the Steelers used the same signals all season. I mean, what? I guess you deserved it...in a way. That’s just lazy. Why wouldn’t a coach employ espionage or counter espionage teams, within the rules of course.

The following is from the formerly respectable sports reporting channel turned breathless outrage manufacturer ESPN written in truly classic OTL style; insinuating allegation as fact and sketchy sources as bulletproof evidence while attempting to fan pre-existing prejudices and hatred of power structures. However, the below is great stuff if true. Sort of a poor man’s Alan Turing. The Weis comments were interesting considering his “decided schematic advantage” he supposedly brought to ND.

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13533995/split-nfl-new-england-patriots-apart

Adams' title was football research director, the only known person with that title in the NFL. He had made a fortune in the stock market in the 1980s, and the joke was that the only person in the building richer than Adams was Kraft. Belichick and Adams had been friends since 1970, when they were classmates at Phillips Academy, a New England prep school. Adams introduced himself to Belichick because he recognized his name from a little-known scouting book published in 1962 by his father, Steve Belichick.

When Bill Belichick became coach of the Browns in 1991, he hired Adams to be a consigliere of sorts. Owner Art Modell famously offered $10,000 to any employee who could tell him what Adams did. In short, in Cleveland and in New England, Adams did whatever he wanted -- and whatever Belichick wanted: statistical analysis, scouting and strategy. Years later, Walsh recalled to Senate investigators that Adams told old stories from the Browns about giving a video staffer an NFL Films shirt and assigning him to film the opponents' sideline huddles and grease boards from behind the bench. The shared view of Belichick and Adams, according to many who've worked with them, is this: The league is lazy and incompetent, so why not push every boundary? "You'd want Bill and Ernie doing your taxes," says a former Patriots assistant coach. "They would find all the loopholes, and then when the IRS would close them, they'd find more."

Days before the Tampa Bay game, in Belichick's office, Friesz was told that the Patriots had a tape of the Bucs' signals. He was instructed to memorize them, and during the game, to watch Bucs defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin and tell Weis the defensive play, which Weis would relay over the radio headset system to quarterback Drew Bledsoe. That Sunday against the Bucs, Walsh later told investigators, the Patriots played more no-huddle than usual, forcing Kiffin to signal in plays quickly, allowing Weis sufficient time to relay the information. Years later, some Patriots coaches would point to the score -- a 21-16 Bucs win -- as evidence of Spygate's ineffectiveness. But as Walsh later told investigators, Friesz, who did not respond to messages to comment for this story, told Walsh after the game that the Patriots knew 75 percent of the Bucs' defenses before the snap.

Now, the Patriots realized that they were on to something, a schematic edge that could allow their best minds more control on the field. Taping from the sideline increased efficiency and minimized confusion. And so, as Walsh later told investigators, the system improved, becoming more streamlined -- and more secretive. The quarterbacks were cut out of the process. The only people involved were a few coaches, the video staff and, of course, Adams. Belichick, almost five years after being fired by the Browns and fully aware that this was his last best shot as a head coach, placed an innovative system of cheating in the hands of his most trusted friend.

AS THE PATRIOTS became a dynasty and Belichick became the first coach to win three Super Bowls in four years, an entire system of covert videotaping was developed and a secret library created. "It got out of control," a former Patriots assistant coach says. Sources with knowledge of the system say an advance scout would attend the games of upcoming Patriots opponents and assemble a spreadsheet of all the signals and corresponding plays. The scout would give it to Adams, who would spend most of the week in his office with the door closed, matching the notes to the tapes filmed from the sideline. Files were created, organized by opponent and by coach. During games, Walsh later told investigators, the Patriots' videographers were told to look like media members, to tape over their team logos or turn their sweatshirt inside out, to wear credentials that said Patriots TV or Kraft Productions. The videographers also were provided with excuses for what to tell NFL security if asked what they were doing: Tell them you're filming the quarterbacks. Or the kickers. Or footage for a team show.

The cameramen's assignments differed depending on the opponent. For instance, Walsh told investigators that against Indianapolis he was directed to take close-ups of the Colts' offensive signals, then of Peyton Manning's hand signals. Mostly, though, the tapes were of defensive signals. Each video sequence would usually include three shots: the down and distance, the signal, and, as an in-house joke, a tight shot of a cheerleader's top or skirt. The tape was then often edited, sources say, so that Adams' copy contained only the signals, in rapid fire, one after another. According to investigators, Walsh once asked Adams, "Are the tapes up to standards?"

"You're doing a good job," Adams said. "But make sure that you get everyone who's giving signals, even dummy signals."

As much as the Patriots tried to keep the circle of those who knew about the taping small, sometimes the team would add recently cut players from upcoming opponents and pay them only to help decipher signals, former Patriots staffers say. In 2005, for instance, they signed a defensive player from a team they were going to play in the upcoming season. Before that game, the player was led to a room where Adams was waiting. They closed the door, and Adams played a compilation tape that matched the signals to the plays from the player's former team, and asked how many were accurate. "He had about 50 percent of them right," the player says now.

Wait a second....there are people (excluding media) that actually want to spend that much free time watching football practice that two practices doesn't cut it? I could see one, if I happened to be in the neighborhood, maybe. I guess it depends if there is anything compelling on C-SPAN, if I have any nice paints to watch dry, or if my grass is growing in a particularly interesting way that day.

Gophers coach P.J. Fleck puts pressure on promising receiver Chris Autman-Bell

By Andy Greder | [email protected] | Pioneer Press
PUBLISHED: March 24, 2018 at 5:05 pm | UPDATED: March 24, 2018 at 5:11 pm

A front-runner has emerged in the Gophers’ dire need to produce reliable receiving options alongside junior leader Tyler Johnson.
“Again, I will keep saying his name,” Fleck said Saturday after the Gophers’ fifth spring practice. “He’s going to have a lot of pressure on him because I keep saying his name, but Chris Bell, Chris Autman-Bell, just continues to make plays.

“ ‘Bet you can’t make another one,’ ” Fleck continued. “And then he’ll make the next one.”
Behind Johnson’s team highs of 35 receptions, 677 yards and seven touchdowns last season, the Gophers didn’t have a receiver with more than 11 grabs, and none scored a TD. When Johnson was lost to a broken hand for the final two games, the lack of options was stark.

As a true freshman from Kankakee, Ill., Autman-Bell received praise last fall but injured his foot in training camp and was redshirted. “I think (he) was having maybe the best training camp of any of the wideouts, and then he hurt his foot,” Fleck said on March 6.

For a playmaker on the defensive side, walk-on linebacker Bailey Schoenfelder, a cousin of former Iowa and Vikings linebacker Chad Greenway, also stood out to Fleck. Schoenfelder is getting more reps this spring with starters Thomas Barber and Blake Cashman limited because of injuries.

QUARTERBACK QUOTES

The Gophers’ primary position battle — starting quarterback — remained a topic Saturday.
“Tanner Morgan made some big plays (Saturday) at quarterback, created plays,” Fleck said. “Plays broke down, and (he) found a way to create a play, get a first down.”

Morgan enrolled as a freshman last January and is benefiting from a full year in offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca’s system. Vic Viramontes, a junior college transfer, arrived in January.

“He’s got a lot to learn,” Fleck said of Viramontes. “He’s got a long way to go, just like all our quarterbacks. But to jump in here and be here three months and do what he’s already done is pretty impressive. It’s the same with all our quarterbacks; the guys that have been here are a little bit ahead.”

Fleck said reps next week will be distributed a little bit more based on film from Saturday’s practice.

MUSIC REMEDY

Gophers practices under Fleck have had an eclectic playlist over the past year. There’s often heavy metal, classic rock and country music, which is Fleck’s favorite genre. This spring, classical music has been added to the soundtrack as players stretch and cool down after practices in the new indoor practice facility.

The concept is music can be therapeutic and aid recovery. Someone on Fleck’s staff researched it and sold him on the idea.
“If we can become 1 percent better somehow, some way and one guy recovering faster and it hits him and the tune of the music hits him, then we are doing our job,” Fleck said. “We are going to find every avenue we possibly can to give ourselves an advantage.”

INJURY UPDATE

Blaise Andries, the top recruit from Minnesota in the 2017 class, had a “medical issue” and was not at Saturday’s practice. The Marshall, Minn., native has moved from offensive tackle to guard this spring.

Cornerback Chris Williamson, a transfer from Florida, is working through a lower-leg injury and “will be healthy here pretty soon,” Fleck said. “We’ve been pretty cautious with him because it happened not long ago.”

Fleck also said heath issues were the reason some players didn’t have helmets with them Saturday, including defensive linemen Tai’yon Devers, Gary Moore and receiver Phillip Howard.

BRIEFLY

The Gophers’ practice at 4:45 p.m. Tuesday will be open to the public. The U will hold a closed-door scrimmage Thursday for the best live action before the spring game is at noon April 14 at TCF Bank Stadium. … Jacob Herbers has emerged as the U’s top punter, with Ryan Santoso graduating. … The Gophers’ pro day in front of NFL scouts will be Wednesday and will include Steven Richardson, Kobe McCrary, Jonathan Celestin, Duke McGhee, Merrick Jackson, Santoso, Nate Wozniak, Andrew Stelter, Garrison Wright, Vincent Calhoun and Kunle Ayinde, as well as invited players from smaller schools in the region.

Autman-Bell looked to have extraordinary hands and control on his highlight reel but obviously it’s a highlight reel. However couple that with PJ talking him up this year and last and we may have a real playmaker here. Excited about him and Spann-Ford being go-to players. Add in Bateman, a developing Douglas and Howard, and TJ and all of a sudden we have some pretty exciting and legit targets going forward. Will Van Dyne be in the picture with his high top gear?

It is getting more and more common for college teams to close some our even all practices. PJ did not invent this concept.
http://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/ls...n-radically-reduce-media-access-practice.html
https://www.nunesmagician.com/2017...practice-to-media-syracuse-orange-babers-camp

Etc, etc...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To what end, I still don’t really understand. This isn’t the Manhattan Project. I’d be more paranoid about disgruntled players passing formation, or papers being left out in the open, etc, etc than spring camp giving away anything important. Everyone knows the broad specifics of what PJ does. Truth can be stranger than fiction sometimes.

Where does that crowd exist on this thread?

You're saying it makes zero sense for someone to comment on things that they don't really like? There is no outrage, so don't pretend that people are unhinged on this, they mildly commented. That's the extent of it.

So you're stance is that it makes zero sense for a person to even mildly comment on missing out on something they used to like/would enjoy? Are you insane?

"Darn, if the Gophers won that game we would have gone to the Rose Bowl." - - Highwayman "So we aren't going, so what?"

"Darn, I kind of like night games, I like them more than the 11AM games." Highwayman "It's an 11AM game, so what?"

Yep, that's a logical stance.

Do you read the posts that you sanctimoniously condescend to?

I am not commenting on the "darns," but the folks that get so bent out of shape by the things that are monumentally trivial. I could go through 1000 random posts on this site and easily find 250 of them that are loaded with hyperbole and tripe. Tripe is OK, but most here seems to be generated by
"fans" that think life is just like a video game and are fully entrenched in the "more me now" lifestyle.

You always act like an expert, but generally like to rip on people on your posts. Instead of analyzing all us poor plebeians, why don't you create a post that shows why you are a Minnesota fan and why you are really here? I challenge you to stop the bile and turn on the inner fan.

1. I love college football. Most of the players are there not to go pro, but because they love the sport.
2. I'm a third generation Gopher fan, season ticket holder and game attendee. My grandson made it a 5th generation. My grandmother was at the famous Red Grange game.
3. I think it's OK to criticize the coaches, but never the players while they are still in school. That's my thing.
4. I love the Victory Walk. Me and the 100 non-parents that bother to show up.
5. I wear my Gopher gear all year long. I have more gold hats than underwear. (Not literally)
6. I have not been living in the TC for 5 years but I still make it to many home games.
7. I went to San Diego despite the situation and had a ball. So many people missed a great game.
8. Yeah, I think Coyle does a pretty damn good job. Most folks don't have a clue what it is like to run a department of any kind. I do. When the whole show becomes his and things are bad, I may reconsider. Meanwhile, he has been more proactive than any AD we've ever had. I give him a pass.
9. I've seen the best moments and worst moments of my sports life with the same team. What can beat that?
10. I would take watching a Gopher football game in person over just about any other sporting event. I love this team.

Be positive. Let's flip it.

Back to what I really meant. Yeah, it would be nice to get some real info, but it is not a killer for me. Maybe a program can have issues BECAUSE they are predictable. Maybe the opponents DO know too much. How many programs DO have open practices? I have no idea.

I don't care how many tight spirals Vic throws in practice under the close observation of a 100 fans. I care if he can put up 300 yards on the Badgers.

I love the Gopher football team. You can do it from afar. I know.

I would think that a short promo video from each practice would help create new/more interest in the team. I doubt that any of us would not look for it and view it.

For a playmaker on the defensive side, walk-on linebacker Bailey Schoenfelder, a cousin of former Iowa and Vikings linebacker Chad Greenway, also stood out to Fleck. Schoenfelder is getting more reps this spring with starters Thomas Barber and Blake Cashman limited because of injuries.
Interesting comments on Bailey Schoenfelder, I hadn't heard much about him before, he looks to have nice size, love these walk-ons with chips on their shoulders.

<b>most here seems to be generated by
"fans" </b>

I would never doubt you are a fan. I wouldn't doubt anyone that comes to this board on a regular basis is a fan. I think the rub is your overall expectation that a 'real' fan is always positive - and if you criticize the coach or team then you are a "fan".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait a second....there are people (excluding media) that actually want to spend that much free time watching football practice that two practices doesn't cut it? I could see one, if I happened to be in the neighborhood, maybe. I guess it depends if there is anything compelling on C-SPAN, if I have any nice paints to watch dry, or if my grass is growing in a particularly interesting way that day.

I've never been able to make it to a spring practice due to work/family conflicts (busy time of year for both), but have been to fall practices a few times. The fewer open practices they have, the harder it is for people to make it work in their schedule. I doubt the same people are attending every single practice, outside of the media.

I am not commenting on the "darns," but the folks that get so bent out of shape by the things that are monumentally trivial. I could go through 1000 random posts on this site and easily find 250 of them that are loaded with hyperbole and tripe. Tripe is OK, but most here seems to be generated by
"fans" that think life is just like a video game and are fully entrenched in the "more me now" lifestyle.

You always act like an expert, but generally like to rip on people on your posts. Instead of analyzing all us poor plebeians, why don't you create a post that shows why you are a Minnesota fan and why you are really here? I challenge you to stop the bile and turn on the inner fan.

1. I love college football. Most of the players are there not to go pro, but because they love the sport.
2. I'm a third generation Gopher fan, season ticket holder and game attendee. My grandson made it a 5th generation. My grandmother was at the famous Red Grange game.
3. I think it's OK to criticize the coaches, but never the players while they are still in school. That's my thing.
5. I wear my Gopher gear all year long. I have more gold hats than underwear. (Not literally)
6. I have not been living in the TC for 5 years but I still make it to many home games.
7. I went to San Diego despite the situation and had a ball. So many people missed a great game.
8. Yeah, I think Coyle does a pretty damn good job. Most folks don't have a clue what it is like to run a department of any kind. I do. When the whole show becomes his and things are bad, I may reconsider. Meanwhile, he has been more proactive than any AD we've ever had. I give him a pass.
9. I've seen the best moments and worst moments of my sports life with the same team. What can beat that?
10. I would take watching a Gopher football game in person over just about any other sporting event. I love this team.

Back to what I really meant. Yeah, it would be nice to get some real info, but it is not a killer for me. Maybe a program can have issues BECAUSE they are predictable. Maybe the opponents DO know too much. How many programs DO have open practices? I have no idea.

I don't care how many tight spirals Vic throws in practice under the close observation of a 100 fans. I care if he can put up 300 yards on the Badgers.

I think your interpretation of "bent out of shape" might be at a threshold lower than most people's. An innocent comment questioning something related to the team doesn't (for me) equate to being "bent out of shape". And even if people really stick to a point and continue arguing it, it doesn't mean they've lost all faith in the Gophers. They might just be really bothered by something because they are a diehard fan so it means a lot to them. I'd worry more about the Gophers when people stop complaining, because then it means they don't care.

To address the discussion we were having:
Those people don't exist. That's the whole point of my post. You're acting like a couple off the cuff comments about being slightly disappointed is being bent out of shape.
Nor is it killer for anyone else.

The rest of your post is a completely different subject.
Congrats, you're a Gopher fan. We are all Gopher fans. I also don't live in Minnesota and go to multiple games a year too. Like you, I don't really rip on the players and I rarely rip on the coaches.

You seem to live in a world that doesn't exist. You have spent this thread talking about the people being bent out of shape here (they don't exist), the people who are incredibly negative (they don't exist), and you of all people on here have the gall to call anyone else sanctimonious or condescending. Pot, have you met kettle?

Hope that some people who can make it to the Tuesday practice can share some nuggets on how players are looking!

I'll be at the open practice today. Anything I should be looking for in particular other than how the QBs look?

If you can bring a tape measure and measure Morgan that’d be great, settle an argument here.

- WRs, particularly Bell’s speed and size vs TJ.
- the offensive linemen
-TE options - anyone looking particularly athletic?
-defensive line - size up the middle? Playmakers off the edge?
- is Durr healthy?
- Safety options

Just got back from the practice - I wasn't there for the first 40 minutes of practice (day job), so take this info for what it's worth:
- Tanner Morgan appeared to be playing with the first team, with Vic Viramontes playing with the second team (can someone else who was there please confirm this?!)
- Faalele is just freakin' huge. All 400 pounds. Nice to add that size on the o-line
- Jacob Huff had a very nice QB sack on a blitz today - looking forward to his senior leadership
- Viramontes (I think?) threw a very nice 15-yard touchdown pass to Tyler Johnson - threw it high up the middle so only Johnson could come down with it
- OJ Smith looks like a true DT - nice to have the Bama transfer beef up the d-line
- Keep an eye out for #27 Calvin Swenson at defensive back - it looked to me as if he was playing quite a bit with the first-team defense

Here's what I noticed:
QB: Can confirm the above post; Morgan was taking 1st string snaps, Vic 2nd. Morgan seemed to throw better in the limited sample size I saw. Vic seemed a bit better in 7 on 7 and 11 on 11 stuff. Annexstad was 3rd and Green was 4th. Green looked better than Annexstad but both looked rough.
WR: Hard to tell. To me, TJ looked a little bigger and Bell looked a little faster. Bell looked worse at running routes. Other guys that impressed me: Mark Williams and Matt Morse
OL: Didn't see much of note. Dunlap and Faalele are huge but looked a bit slower than the rest. Don't think they're ready yet but they should be great in a year or two.
TE and DL: Didn't watch them as much and didn't notice anything. Playmakers were usually linebackers and DBs blitzing.
Durr: Healthy and looks great.
Safety: Swenson and Huff were taking 1st string snaps. Huff made a few bad mistakes and didn't look great in coverage. As mentioned he did have a great sack on a blitz on what I think was supposed to be 4th and 3 or so. Maybe I missed it but I didn't see much of Winfield Jr.

New indoor practice facility: Looks great. Much nicer than the old one. The area for fans was tiny. Good thing they did it early because the space they left for fans was tiny. In case the next open practice is inside too, the end where you go in is the better end, in particular around the goal line. A lot of stuff starts on about the 40 and moves towards that endzone. 1 on 1 stuff happened on that side starting around the 10.

The North Sideline was packed with spectators. The practice facility is huge and an improvement over the old one.

Chris Autman-Bell is the real deal making some great catches today. Tyler Johnson made some great catches too.

Faalele and Dunlop are both freakishly thick athletes. I did not see Blaise Andries. Oseland, Dovich, and Greene looked huge close up.

Tanner made some great throws. He made a nice accurate throw scrambling to his right to I believe True Thompson.
I am impressed with Zak Annexstad's poise. Seth Green made some nice throws.

Vicious Vic made some great high arcing throws showing his powerful throwing arm. IMHO, he is a tad behind Tanner Morgan. That may change come Fall Practice.

At TE - Colton Beebe looked good catching the ball. Clayton Witherspoon may surprise.

I am a bit under the weather, and it was hot on the spectator sideline. My view of the field was obscured for a good part of the time. So, I left early.

Thanks for the info guys. Good News on Morgan. Also glad he had a nice growth spurt this offseason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to both of you. I’d love to see Colton Beebe out there again rumbling down the sideline with the ball. Make it so, PJ.

I was there too, I agree with all that was said here and will add that Morgan looked a bit taller than Vic. At the least, they are the same height. I saw Winfield doing db drills with Chris Williamson right in front of me, looked like he was just fine. Must be holding them both out? Andries too? Why risk injury.

I was at practice and agree with all of Gildy's and Go Gophers comments. A few more tidbits:

1. Mo Ibrahim looks good at RB. Shifty and quick, powerful, he's the second best RB on the team after what I saw today.
2. The Chris Bell hype is real. He will make plays for us this fall...
3. Faalele and Dunlap are the type of O-linemen we aren't used to having. Physically, those guys are as strong as any of the other linemen on the team. They don't need strength training, just some conditioning work. They are both firmly in the 2-deeps right now. It will be hard to keep them off the field this fall.
4. Esezi Otomewo looks the part at DE. He held the edge well on a few running plays and appears to have some pash-rush ability.
5. Durr is back and healthy.
6. Thomas Rush is huge - all of 6'3" and pretty solid for a freshmen. I see why Fleck likes him.
7. Fleck mentioned to me that although Royal Silver was going to play last year, it worked out well to redshirt him and he will be glad to have him in the rotation for the next 2 seasons.

Thanks to both of you. I’d love to see Colton Beebe out there again rumbling down the sideline with the ball. Make it so, PJ.

Beebe had one of those classic catches today. The guys that attempted to tackle him are feeling it tonight..

Beebe had one of those classic catches today. The guys that attempted to tackle him are feeling it tonight..

Thanks guys for the info. Having a threat at tight end will just make our running game be more effective. Sounds good. Thanks again.

Top Bottom