BIG Honors

Katogopher

Reaction score
Pitts Freshman of the year. All BIG Freshmen Team Honorable Mention all BIG Team

Bell and Wagner First Team all BIG team

Bell all
defensive team.

Is this one of the most decorated Gopher Teams since the Whalen/McCarville Era?

Congrats to all three players. I think this goes to show what kind of talent this team has. I was especially happy for Carlie, as she's a senior and I wasn't entirely sure she would make it even though she deserved it. Bell elevated her game tremendously from her sophomore year to her junior year and I'm thinking that she can elevate it even more from junior to senior year. She has the ability to be BIG defensive player of the year next year and I hope that becomes one of her goals. Also, if she can continue to work to make better decisions at the point guard position, she'll be a a WNBA draft pick, as she is very athletic and has a multitude of talents. And Pitts has had a terrific freshman year. I'd like to see her do the same personal training regimen that Bell did in the off-season and I'd like to see her drive to the hoop more often. If she can do that, she could be a First Team all-conference player next year. And congrats to Nebraska's Amy Williams on her BIG coach of the year award. Looks like Nebraska hired the right person for the job when they replaced Yori.

Super season Destiny! Keep it rolling.

Gopher B1G Freshmen of the Year: A quick stat comparison.

Destiny Pitts: 29 Games, 881 minutes, 30.4 min, 13.1 points, 7.4 rebounds/game (76-207 from three)

Zahui B: 34 Games, 1015 minutes, 29.9 min, 15.1 points, 11.6 rebounds/game (1-3 from three)

Banham: 36 Games, 1213 minutes, 33.7 min, 16.1 points, 5.2 rebounds/game (54-127 from three)

McCarville: 30 Games, 747 minutes, 24.9 min, 13.0 points, 8.0 rebounds/game (0-0 from three)

Thx Shades for the link. I agree with your assessment of the team. I really believe Gadiva and Taiye have the abilities to elevate their games to all conference status as well. I think they had been a key in the late season resurgence. Not to take away from Bell, Wagner and Pitts all of them deserving of their honors. This team could be good for awhile, hopefully will draw more top level recruits.

Thanks, Iggy. That's very good company for Destiny. And I don't mind the split for POY. If I had to vote, I'd have voted Gustafson, but Mitchell had a terrific career at OSU. The two first team players who split media and coaches votes were PSU's Paige and Michigan's Thome. Smalls (sp?) from MD got the 6th player of the year. If the Gophers Bello had played more consistent minutes and stayed out of some of the foul trouble she was in, she might have been a candidate for that award.

Top Bottom