Gophers shut out of NFL combine, but P.J. Fleck’s results show that should change

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

The Gophers are one of only two Big Ten programs that don’t have a player participating in the NFL scouting combine that starts Tuesday in Indianapolis.

Minnesota, which went 5-7 in 2017, and Illinois have been shut out, while Ohio State will have 11 players tested, second only to Alabama’s 14. The Gophers’ biggest rivals are also well represented; Wisconsin has six invitees and Iowa five. Even Rutgers and Purdue will have a player to be poked, prodded and run through drills ahead of the April 26-28 NFL draft.

Head coach P.J. Fleck’s recruiting and development of players during his four-year run at Western Michigan indicate that Minnesota’s expected drought could be short.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/02/...t-p-j-flecks-results-show-that-should-change/

Go Gophers!!

yeah, that one year drought (that hasn't even happened yet) has been miserable

This can't be the first time for us. How uncommon is it for us to have zero?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This can't be the first time for us. How uncommon is it for us to have zero?

Just did some searching, the last time we had none was 2012. Since then here are the numbers:

2013: 1
2014: 2
2015: 3
2016: 3
2017: 3

We were starting to get consistent at 3. In 2011 we also had 0 and in 2010 we had 4. I'd go back further, but I need to get back to work.

Just did some searching, the last time we had none was 2012. Since then here are the numbers:

2013: 1
2014: 2
2015: 3
2016: 3
2017: 3

We were starting to get consistent at 3. In 2011 we also had 0 and in 2010 we had 4. I'd go back further, but I need to get back to work.

Thank You for the information.

Found an interesting site: http://nflcombineresults.com/

It has the measurables of players who attended the combine, which is different than the list that went out at the beginning of the process. Here's a list all the way back to 1987 (the site stops there). Minnesota has not been a juggernaut, and I don't think anyone is suggesting we've been a hotbed of NFL talent, but we've only had 6 years in the past 31 where we didn't have at least one player at the combine. The longest "drought" we've had during this time was three years. This was during the Wacker years. Of the six, Wacker had three of those seasons, Brewster two (Brewster and Horton share the 11 combine), and Kill one (his first).

As of now, PJ has one, which is neither a big deal, nor a drought. And this one could still change should someone end up with an invite before April. Calling this a "drought" is silly considering that from 15-17 we put 12 kids in the combine, equaling the most in any three year stretch in the past 31 years (3rd time we've put 12 in 3 years). I guess Greder is buying into the "legend of PJ Fleck" and that looks so much better if he came in and reversed a "drought".

Have a look at the site. It was fun to see some of the names from the past again.

2017 3
2016 3
2015 6
2014 2
2013 1
2012 0
2011 0
2010 4
2009 0
2008 1
2007 1
2006 2
2005 1
2004 1
2003 1
2002 5
2001 5
2000 2
1999 1
1998 4
1997 1
1996 2
1995 0
1994 0
1993 0
1992 2
1991 5
1990 5
1989 1
1988 2
1987 1

per Greder:

The Gophers are one of only two Big Ten programs that don’t have a player participating in the NFL scouting combine that starts Tuesday in Indianapolis.

Minnesota, which went 5-7 in 2017, and Illinois have been shut out, while Ohio State will have 11 players tested, second only to Alabama’s 14. The Gophers’ biggest rivals are also well represented; Wisconsin has six invitees and Iowa five. Even Rutgers and Purdue will have a player to be poked, prodded and run through drills ahead of the April 26-28 NFL draft.

Head coach P.J. Fleck’s recruiting and development of players during his four-year run at Western Michigan indicate that Minnesota’s expected drought could be short.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/02/...t-p-j-flecks-results-show-that-should-change/

Based on his 58% record at WMU a lot of folks are counting on Fleck to finally be the Gopher coach that will win big and often. I have always said that the Gopher gig is a huge challenge considering the program has floundered for decades. Previous HC's did well in their previous gigs and only Mason did better at MN, thanks to a very soft NC schedule.

Lets look at Gopher HC's records before coming to MN and during their tenure at MN.

Kill 66% wins/40% Gophers
Mason 48% wins/53%
Wacker 61% wins/29%
Lou 65%/45%
Salem 57%/35%

I may be in the minority with who have not proclaimed that Fleck will automatically win big and often. But Fleck is right on track with his predesessors(sp) at 42%.

Rip away!

Go Gophers!!

yeah, that one year drought (that hasn't even happened yet) has been miserable

Yeah this is a really weird lead in for an article... few people noticed this thing, nobody is worried... we've done it plenty of times.

Yeah this is a really weird lead in for an article... few people noticed this thing, nobody is worried... we've done it plenty of times.

My guess is someone who wants this narrative out there frequently 'asked' him to run this story in exchange for inside information to be named later.

Car is in the shop, and I'm so bored today that I am watching the combine. Here's my rant: First of all, an offensive lineman's vertical jump seems like a pretty useless metric...my bigger complaint, though, is that they judge the vertical leap by high you can touch on their little measuring tool. If the vertical was a useful statistic, shouldn't they be measuring - uh you know - the distance between the ground and your feet? The length of one's arms or fingers has nothing to do with one's ability to jump high.

Now, maybe, the actual decision makers are putting length and height into their overall models...but the NFL network simply lists the vertical numbers which really have zero meaning. Yao Ming has the best vertical in the world! Sorry for this useless rant...but, again, I'm bored.

Car is in the shop, and I'm so bored today that I am watching the combine. Here's my rant: First of all, an offensive lineman's vertical jump seems like a pretty useless metric...my bigger complaint, though, is that they judge the vertical leap by high you can touch on their little measuring tool. If the vertical was a useful statistic, shouldn't they be measuring - uh you know - the distance between the ground and your feet? The length of one's arms or fingers has nothing to do with one's ability to jump high.

Now, maybe, the actual decision makers are putting length and height into their overall models...but the NFL network simply lists the vertical numbers which really have zero meaning. Yao Ming has the best vertical in the world! Sorry for this useless rant...but, again, I'm bored.

I'm fairly certain that they measure standing vertical reach and then subtract that from the total height gained when they calculate vertical leap.

I'm not bored, and I'm still watching the combine in my office while I work. I wish I knew why I find it interesting.

We just love giving Fleck credit for things he didn't really do....even things that are borderline absurd.

Culture and academics might be the biggest fraud. We've tried ever so hard to make the recruiting class sound better (if I had a nickel for every time I heard/read "top 25 recruiting class,", or "best class ever," - ranked 37 nationally 7 in B1G.....the 2016 class was 46 and 8...not all that big of a difference).

He gets credit for all of these made up things. But, just try and question his actual results in "year-0," and you'll quickly be informed that none of that had anything to do with Fleck. It's laughable.

We just love giving Fleck credit for things he didn't really do....even things that are borderline absurd.

Culture and academics might be the biggest fraud. We've tried ever so hard to make the recruiting class sound better (if I had a nickel for every time I heard/read "top 25 recruiting class,", or "best class ever," - ranked 37 nationally 7 in B1G.....the 2016 class was 46 and 8...not all that big of a difference).

He gets credit for all of these made up things. But, just try and question his actual results in "year-0," and you'll quickly be informed that none of that had anything to do with Fleck. It's laughable.

It’s his script. Should he deliver results we’ll look back on it with a smile and the masses who avoid Gopher Football will believe all the nonsense. And everyone will be happy.

If he does not deliver results on the field, those of us in the board will be recalling these heady days for decades as the time we hired Tim Brewster, part two.

Fleck inherited a depleted roster and program. Within a year or two we'll have guys invited to the Combine every year. #TrustTheProcess

You obviously have your mind already made up so what is the point in trying to discuss anything with you?

Well, PJ takes credit for those good things and deflects blame for those bad things. If you ignore the trend and instead believe everything he says, as many seem to, it is easy to see why this happens. #RTB

Top Bottom