Bohannon Intentionally Misses FT to Preserve Chris Street's Iowa Record

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Bleacher Report:

Iowa's Jordan Bohannon had a chance to break Iowa's all-time record for consecutive free throws made in the Hawkeyes' Sunday night game against Northwestern.

Bohannon had made 34 straight free throws, tying the record held by the late Chris Street.

Street was an Iowa legend, but he was killed in a car accident in 1993, three days after he had hit his 34th consecutive free throw.

Bohannon has grown close with the Street family, and he didn't want to erase Chris' name from the record book.

“It’s been in my mind for a while," Bohannon said, per Chris Leistikow of Hawk Central. "I knew I wanted to leave it short a little bit. I didn’t want to make it too obvious."

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...sses-ft-to-preserve-chris-streets-iowa-record

Go Gophers!!

Just watched the highlight and my living room got a bit dusty. Good stuff when there is some bad stuff going on in cbb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Admittedly I have mix opinions on this. I don't have the relationship with the Street family like he has however. They have said next time to go for it as to the record. So why not now when you had the chance? I'm sure Street is honored in other ways in Iowa that are more meaningful than the shot record that will never be taken away.

Pretty cool. He still goes into the record books.

Class act - they are tied.

I was living in Iowa when Chris Street died. I'm not kidding when I say the entire state was in mourning for about a week. he was a home-grown kid and tremendously popular.

For those who don't remember, Street was killed in the middle of his junior season. There was bad weather and he pulled out in front of a snow plow, and was killed in the collision. He was a heck of a player - likely NBA prospect.

Classy

I'll always hate Iowa, but I still respect this

This is a great tribute for anyone whose record was snapped only because of a premature death. I remember back in the day hoping that Ripken would not break Gehrig's record for the same reason.

It was an eight point game with over two minutes remaining. I'm very surprised so many people are not only fine with this, but say this was a great and classy gesture.

Agreed. Seems ridiculous that he is allowed to purposely miss a FT in a game that is still in doubt. What if he had turned the ball over intentionally? Or let his guy score intentionally? Are we celebrating point shaving now?

Agreed. Seems ridiculous that he is allowed to purposely miss a FT in a game that is still in doubt. What if he had turned the ball over intentionally? Or let his guy score intentionally? Are we celebrating point shaving now?

I look at it as being even more classy that it was done in a game that was still close and towards the end of the game.
The victory took second to honoring the streak. Sometimes a gesture like that is more important than a win, in certain situations . With Iowa not in contention for a league title and locked into playing on Wednesday a win or loss wasn't that big of a deal.

Would have been interesting if they would have been tied with under 3 seconds to go and he had that one FT left to win game and break record or had missed and sent game to OT.

And this was not Point Shaving as he didn't have a bet on the game(at least I don't think he did). :)

I look at it as being even more classy that it was done in a game that was still close and towards the end of the game.
The victory took second to honoring the streak. Sometimes a gesture like that is more important than a win, in certain situations . With Iowa not in contention for a league title and locked into playing on Wednesday a win or loss wasn't that big of a deal.

Would have been interesting if they would have been tied with under 3 seconds to go and he had that one FT left to win game and break record or had missed and sent game to OT.

And this was not Point Shaving as he didn't have a bet on the game(at least I don't think he did). :)

You don't have to have a bet on the game for point shaving. Someone can pay you to shave points. That is how this works.

Purposely shaving points is a slippery slope.

You don't have to have a bet on the game for point shaving. Someone can pay you to shave points. That is how this works.

Ok then, I don't believe he got paid for the missed FT, therefore it wasn't point shaving.

It was a very unique situation and probably a one time event. Not a big deal IMO.

I have many times seen a player intentionally miss a free throw with his team down 2 with less than 5 seconds to go in a game hoping to get a rebound and putback. Is that point shaving?

Top Bottom