B1G Tournament 2018

updatedb10bracket.jpg

That was a terrific game between Indiana and MSU. It was intense from the start, with seniors on both sides not wanting their chances of the NCAA tourney to be ended. Cahill was terrific and the Indiana freshmen were major contributors. I hadn't seen much of MSU's Colley, but she is a player. And McCutcheon, Agee, and Reimer were solid. Gaines with a couple of big buckets. Not a lot of action for Nia Hollie. I was wondering if she'll finish her career at MSU, but she looked engaged in the game when they showed her on the bench. As I watched the game, I was thinking it would have been great for the Gophers if the Hawkeyes had to play 4 overtimes.

Asia Doss in a boot for OSU. Buckeyes more vulnerable now.

25-19 OSU end of first

Mitchell 7 pts, 1 stl
Harper 7 pts, 2 ast

Scaife 8 pts, 1 reb, 1 stl

OSU is blowing it open in the third. Bye, bye, Rutgers.

82-57 OSU final

Mitchell 22 pts, 1 reb, 4 ast, 3 TO, 3 stl

With Doss out, OSU went away from the 4-guard system and started Hart. It seemed to work well for them. I hope McGuff didn't accidentally stumble onto something.

I'm not sure who to root for between Maryland and Indiana.
Indiana beat the Gophers, but they'd be dog tired if they made the finals.

Defensive battle here.

37-33 NEB end of third

Just think if Stollings could have scored this player. She was on the right track.

moga2.jpg

Nebraska's got this. Top 4 seeds in the semis.

After watching OSU beat Maryland, and after watching a lot of BIG women's hoops for the past month or so, I'm now convinced that the three best teams in the BIG are OSU, Minnesota, and Iowa...in that order. If the Gophers don't get an NCAA tourney invite, it will be a travesty and we'll know that the selection committee placed absolutely no value on the way teams finished the season. I don't think there's any way the Gophers don't get an invite, but stranger things have happened. Ask Michigan, based on what happened to them last year, although they were lacking top 50 wins on their resume. Creme has the Gophers as one of the last four teams in. How is that even possible? And Rutgers is also listed as one of last four teams in. That is easier to understand, although it again surprises me that he has Rutgers in and then Nebraska as one of the next four out. IMO, Nebraska is much more deserving of a berth than Rutgers and the Gophers are certainly way more deserving than Rutgers. On Nebraska's behalf, you can take all the RPI ratings and SOS ratings you want, but if anyone has watched the games from the past 6 months there is no way that Rutgers is more deserving than Nebraska, and the Cornhuskers had the BIG record to prove it. I realized that the teams in the BIG play an unbalanced schedule because there are so many teams in the conference, but I'm still of the feeling that the conference standings should count for a lot and a team that finiishes 7-9 in conference play (Rutgers) should never be selected over teams that finish 11-5 (Minnesota and Nebraska) in the same conference. And Rutgers didn't finished strong and they didn't go deep into the BIG tourney. Nothing against Rutgers, just saying...

Agreed, I felt the BIG championship was played on Saturday between Gophers and OSU. The announcer of last nights game between Terps and Buckeyes brought up the Gophers a few times and was very impressed and made mention that he would not want to face them in the tourney as well as calling them “tournament ready. In regards to Nebraska I agree, not a Husker fan but would seem a real big slight if omitted. Coach Williams inherited a mess and lost her top player to transfer, she probably didn’t schedule as rigorous to let this young team jell. The fact Cain fell into their laps after the schedule was made. Feel like they should not be punished for what they were able to achieve unless of course it takes the Gophers out.

Top Bottom