B1G Tournament Game 1: Gophers versus ? (2 March 2018)

Doyle picks up third foul just before the half

42-39 MIN at the half

Bell 15 pts, 3 reb, 3 ast
Hubbard 12 pts, 1 reb, 4 stl
Wagner 11 pts, 1 ast, 2 TO

Pitts and Fernstrom Benched with 2 fouls
Bello 3 fouls
Pitts 0-3

Gustafson 23 pts (10-15), 7 reb

Iowa knows how to bait calls, some of those called defending Gustafson were questionable. Hope Gophers come out after half time and practice free throw shooting (5-10)and behind the arc shots(1-12)...hope this pace wears the Hawkeyes down.

Then Doyle picked up her 2nd and 3rd right before half.

Hopefully Pitts can actually stay on the floor vs Iowa in the 2nd half.

We need to make some more 3's against their zone. Have to force Gustafson RIGHT ! I expected a close game and so far we have it. Hope they can blow open a lead to start the second half. Go Gophers !

Hubbard, Wagner, and Bell having solid games. Hopefully, Pitts will contribute in the second half. 0 points in the first half. Pitts and Bello hampered by foul trouble in the first half. The third foul on Doyle was a good one for the Gophers to get, as Iowa doesn't have much depth and Doyle is a major contributor. But how do the Gophers stop Gustafson. 23 points in the first half. And, IMO, the Gophers defense on her hasn't been terrible...she's just that damn good. I did notice a couple of times that she was getting winded...that means our Gophers will have to continue to push the pace. With a short bench and having played yesterday, I'm hoping the Hawkeyes will start to get tired. Hubbard and Bell have played very well, but both made trips to the free throw line and missed a pair. Go Gophers!

And is Doyle a theater major? Or did she go to camps with Tyra Buss? And yes, let's try to make Gustafson go right.

Painful stats
1-12 from three
5-10 from FT
4 ast on 18 made FG

Nice stats
3 turnovers
7 offensive reb

Another positive, played deep into the bench and still managed to lead at the half

And the reviews by the officials are hurting the Gophers and the fast pace they're trying to maintain.

We need to make some more 3's against their zone. Have to force Gustafson RIGHT ! I expected a close game and so far we have it. Hope they can blow open a lead to start the second half. Go Gophers !

They're guarding the three tight, knowing the Gophers don't have a post game. Gophers had to rely on drives and contested threes. It'd be nice if we could get the drive and short dish to the post going.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

They're guarding the three tight, knowing the Gophers don't have a post game. Gophers had to rely on drives and contested threes. It'd be nice if we could get the drive and short dish to the post going.

We are getting some looks @ 3 and now have made a couple to start the half. We need to keep pushing the pace !

Lol every time Gustafson touches the ball there's a foul.

Umm.... trying doubling and denying Gustafson before all our posts foul out?

I know I’m a homer but I actually thought that was good defenses by Fernstrom when she got her third, I think the refs just called a foul because they don’t have post defense

Might want to bench Pitts. Very little going right with her.

You may remember we have not been known for our stellar D. She finally misses one and we do not get the rebound. Front her and deny or you are asking to lose.

Gustafson swings her arms wildly and then acts like she's hurt.

Lol, the temporary announcer asking " why do they keep doing that " ?

We are getting some looks @ 3 and now have made a couple to start the half. We need to keep pushing the pace !

"Getting looks" means they're smart enough to let Pitts shoot them because she can't hit the ocean today. They're guarding Wagner tight.

"Getting looks" means they're smart enough to let Pitts shoot them because she can't hit the ocean today. They're guarding Wagner tight.

Hitting some big ones now. Shooters have to shoot out of slumps.

I usually don't complain about calls, but Iowa seems to have the refs' advantage in every game I see them play.

Was that not a travel on Stewart before the foul? Again not sure about all these calls or am I just too much of a homer?

Really? Bricking FT's at this point?

Gustafson will get every call in this game. Pitts heating up which is why she had to keep shooting !

Wow ! Now the refs are giving IO. the chance to win...... Brutal no call.

I don't know how they pulled it off. That was not a very well played game. Maybe it'll help them for tomorrow.

Welcome to the NCAA Tournament!

Top Bottom