Why Does the FBI care?

MennoSota

Reaction score
I know the FBI has been wire tapping coaches, but what I don't know is why the FBI cares about how higher education organizations spend their money.
I could maybe see the IRS looking into spending habits, but why the FBI?
I am admittedly ignorant to this scandal other than it violated NCAA sports rules. But why would the FBI care if Universities broke NCAA rules?

The Russian collusion investigation is so much broader than you had ever imagined.

I know the FBI has been wire tapping coaches, but what I don't know is why the FBI cares about how higher education organizations spend their money.
I am admittedly ignorant to this scandal other than it violated NCAA sports rules. But why would the FBI care if Universities broke NCAA rules?

Fraud
Tax Evasion
Corruption
Money Laundering
Embezzlement

At least 4 of those 5 are FBI worthy.

Public schools receive federal funds. Any potential illegal activity involving money and organizations that receive federal funds will be investigated by the FBI. Basically this is bribery through federally funded organizations.

And what if publicly-funded universities are illicitly spending state or federal taxpayer dollars for this, I'd imagine that would be a problem.

Fraud
Tax Evasion
Corruption
Money Laundering
Embezzlement

Are those the five issues that the FBI was investigating with specific Universities? If so did the FBI investigate the Universities as a whole? Why just the basketball programs?

Public schools receive federal funds. Any potential illegal activity involving money and organizations that receive federal funds will be investigated by the FBI. Basically this is bribery through federally funded organizations.
So were all higher ed schools that get federal funding investigated? How many thousand schools would that entail?

Are those the five issues that the FBI was investigating with specific Universities? If so did the FBI investigate the Universities as a whole? Why just the basketball programs?

Probably because law enforcement doesn't investigate things they do not have tips/reason to believe illegal activity is going on.

Maybe you are right. Maybe the FBI should investigate all people at all universities at all times.

Probably because law enforcement doesn't investigate things they do not have tips/reason to believe illegal activity is going on.

Maybe you are right. Maybe the FBI should investigate all people at all universities at all times.

Yeah I believe this led from an investigation about some shady money moves made by money managers and agents of professional athletes. Law enforcement agencies routinely use this breadcrumb playbook to find and investigate wrongdoing. I think the OP is trying to say that he has the FBI in some sort of box because they out of the blue decided one day to clean up college basketball, but how this investigation came about is pretty textbook.

If you have to ask, then you're in trouble.

Yeah I believe this led from an investigation about some shady money moves made by money managers and agents of professional athletes. Law enforcement agencies routinely use this breadcrumb playbook to find and investigate wrongdoing. I think the OP is trying to say that he has the FBI in some sort of box because they out of the blue decided one day to clean up college basketball, but how this investigation came about is pretty textbook.
Thanks. I forgot about the professional agents and Adidas payments issue. Is this new stuff all tied to the Adidas scandal?

Thanks. I forgot about the professional agents and Adidas payments issue. Is this new stuff all tied to the Adidas scandal?
This is a deepening and widening of the Adidas and ASM Sports scandal.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ALWAYS: follow the money. You can always nail the crooks and law breakers for failing to file income tax on their ill-gotten-gains. Take it to those crooks, FEDS! Bring the crooked players out there down! Not paying your taxes is ALWAYS a crime. We need more transparency on ALL tax returns. The long-arm of the law will prevail. No one escapes...paupers...poets...lawyers...politicians...hall of fame coaches...athletics directors...gamblers...waitresses who fail to report their tips. Ignorance is NO excuse. The taxman needs what the taxman needs. And: of course TITLE IX also comes into play with everything high school and college related. It is the age of the WOMAN and old power structures will be shaken. The children and the women will lead the charge...and rightfully so. Times are changing people. It is a new day. A new era. Things have gotten so bad that things will FINALLY start to slowly get better. The old boys are going down...Ricky P and men's college hoops scandals are just the tip of the iceberg. Much more will follow. Look out old "sons of guns..." it's the dawning of a new day.

Yep, my understanding is they keep pulling on the thread from the original stuff we heard about and that actually cam from an embezzlement investigation. People doing bad stuff tend to be doing numerous bad things.

Remember, part of scholarship money for kids that qualify for Pell Grants come from that source. If the parents or player receives money from an agent under the table, they are committing fraud by not reporting the income.

Even worse for the parents than the FBI being involved, now here comes the IRS.

Fraud
Tax Evasion
Corruption
Money Laundering
Embezzlement

Is the FBI going after a school and the basketball program to make someone an example hoping the rest of the other P5 colleges will quake in their boots?

You don't want to mess around with the feds. They are different than the NCAA. We are talking about serious jail time for some folks.

Top Bottom