***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT PURDUE IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Is this based on analysis of the rest of the the conference?
It's based upon how much of a beast Murphy would be if he had an outside shot. We would become hard to guard.

Next year is going to be much like last year. We have a really bad season this year, but all the signs are there for another big turnaround. I remember reading some of the game threads when Mason went in his couple game stretch of bad basketball. People were ready to move on. Replacing your leading scorer won't be that hard because we will have more competent players on the court. We should have 7 or 8 guys being able to step up and make a basket. The fact that we will have Murphy and Oturu taking attention off the guards, should allow the guards to work a little more freely.

PG: IW/Transfer
SG: McBrayer/Harris/Gabe
SF: Coffey/Hurt/Fitz(could be a PF also)
PF: Murphy/Curry/Omersa
C:Oturu/Stockman

That roster has better depth and balance than this year by a mile. Our guard depth is my biggest concern, Pitino needs to get a dynamite grad transfer. If he can do that I am willing to bet we are much better than most expect. Mason is great, but when he is not playing well we struggle and he often takes way too many shots and puts us in an even deeper hole.

Long story short: if that team stays healthy, yes I am willing to bet we are top 5(or at least tourney if you can't accept top 5)

Some big ifs and some big holes and big drop-offs at every position. It's hard to imagine 5 based upon the depth and inexperience.

I'm not going to get too worked up about a lopsided road loss to a top 10 team. I remember better Haskins teams losing worse than this to lesser teams than Purdue. But I know that it's possible to defend better than this with the players they still have.
Very true

We won't be horrible with that roster. But I think proclamations of top 5/NCAAs are wishful thinking. I see an average B1G team in that roster, maybe slightly below average. If IW takes a massive step forward and the transfer is a hit, maybe.
I can see that. I just hope it happens.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

People have talked about Coffey going to the NBA in the past. Which nba are you talking about? Am I the only one who thinks he has underperformed considering the hype. He has regressed in my opinion. Not to sound too negative but he is just an average player in this league.

That roster has better depth and balance than this year by a mile. Our guard depth is my biggest concern, Pitino needs to get a dynamite grad transfer. If he can do that I am willing to bet we are much better than most expect. Mason is great, but when he is not playing well we struggle and he often takes way too many shots and puts us in an even deeper hole.

Long story short: if that team stays healthy, yes I am willing to bet we are top 5(or at least tourney if you can't accept top 5)

Agree, i fully expect us to be top 4 in the conference.

My biggest concern next year is PG. Seriously concerned.

People have talked about Coffey going to the NBA in the past. Which nba are you talking about? Am I the only one who thinks he has underperformed considering the hype. He has regressed in my opinion. Not to sound too negative but he is just an average player in this league.

I'll agree that Coffey is not ready to play in the NBA, but regressed? Based on what? His numbers improved this year and he was injured nearly the entire B1G season.

Underperformed? Average player? Coffey was our second-leading scorer until he got hurt. He's an unselfish player who sometimes needs to be more aggressive with getting his own shots, but don't confuse that with regression. He has arguably the greatest NBA potential of anyone on our squad with his length, ability to drive and shoot from the perimeter. Needs to work on defense a bit, but the potential is there. Is he a first-round pick? Not yet. When he's healthy, look out. We probably have a minimum of 4-5 more conference wins if Coffey is 100 percent healthy the whole season. In my mind, his loss was felt greater than Lynch.

Murphy also has potential, but the outside jumper needs to be a little more consistent. I'm really curious to see how he looks at the 4 next year with post players who can actually catch a pass from a guard. He was hurt by our centers not being scoring threats when Lynch got suspended. I expect him to be one of those players who declares for the draft without hiring an agent, as many do, to get info on what they need to work on to pursue a pro career before coming back to school.

Agree with the way the roster looks right now I fully expect to at minimum be a NCAA tournament team next year. It will be interesting to see what the staff can do with that open scholarship as they are after some pretty talented players right now. Would be shocked if the addition isn't another ballhandler. Mason is a big loss but I think Washington has shown a lot of signs in the 2nd half of the year of becoming a solid player and I'm confident the staff will add somebody to help him. Also you should get a lot more production from the bench next season. Not sold Fitzgerald ends up sticking around for another year. If everyone is healthy best case scenario for him here would be the 3rd PF behind Murphy and Curry which I can't imagine would be a whole lot of playing time. He is too slow to guard perimeter players after the couple knee injuries and can't play SF anymore.

I'll agree that Coffey is not ready to play in the NBA, but regressed? Based on what? His numbers improved this year and he was injured nearly the entire B1G season.
Coffey isn't a good enough shooter for the NBA, which treasures athletes who can consistently drain 3 point shots.
Looking at next year's squad, only Murph has an outside chance. No chance if he can't make shots past 15 feet.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

least we were gracious in defeat

Coffey isn't a good enough shooter for the NBA, which treasures athletes who can consistently drain 3 point shots.
Looking at next year's squad, only Murph has an outside chance. No chance if he can't make shots past 15 feet.

Coffey shot 37% from 3 and 52% from 2 this season. Andrew Wiggins is a career 32% shooter from 3, 47% from 2, and just received a max deal. Coffey's chances of making the NBA are significantly higher than Murphy's.

Matt Painter was wearing his school tie today. Didn't see any maroon and Gold on Pito:confused:

Play 3 guards.

This X100

Still do not understand it.

When playing against a big team...I get that you give up a ton on the defensive end by not playing Konate....but honestly on offense it is like playing 4 on 5 with Konate out there.

With Gaston out there sometimes it is like 4 on 6....

Coffey shot 37% from 3 and 52% from 2 this season. Andrew Wiggins is a career 32% shooter from 3, 47% from 2, and just received a max deal. Coffey's chances of making the NBA are significantly higher than Murphy's.

You realize it's not the same 3 point arch...don't you?
It's pretty funny to think you just tried to compare Coffey with Wiggins.

The other thing that people miss about Coffey is his lack of an off hand game.

He wouldn't be able to get a shot off of the dribble in the NBA. If you can't score off the dribble there is a really limited role for you even if you are a big time shooter. Which he isn't. He is merely an above average college shooter.

Your argument is that the NBA treasures 3 point shooters, when there are many good players that aren't good 3 point shooters. Wiggins and Butler are two easy examples close to home. I'm in no way comparing Coffey to Wiggins.

But if you want to compare NBA potential between Murphy and Coffey, there is no comparison. A 6'6" PF has almost no shot in the NBA. A 6'8" SF does.

Guard depth a problem? Yeah, we have a lot of question marks at guard. Our starter is unproven and the back up isn't on the roster yet. Top 5 is possible, but its hard to justify the optimism without much experience at pg

Another poor effort today, 47 points given up in the second half. This team had a grinding mentality last year, it didn't have that this year at full strength (minus Curry) and it certainly didn't have it after Lynch/Coffey.

As the topic in this thread seems to have turned to next year, I think both side of the argument have valid points. For me, there are simply too many unanswered questions to know where things go next year. Setting aside the coaching question, do the Gophers land an impact addition or two by the start of the fall? I'd expect a minimum of two scholarships to be open and getting an impact player and a contributor with those 2 open spots would really help. How about Isaiah Washington? He has moments where he looks like the best PG since Bobby Jackson accompanied by stretches where you wonder if he can be counted on to contribute consistently. So much of what Isaiah needs to improve has little to do with skill and more to do with decision making and effort. What do we have in Stockman? Bigs can develop late and his reasonable range of outcomes for next year could vary from an above average starting Center to a rarely used 3rd Center. Finally, how does Eric Curry bounce back? Major knee injuries are no joke and I sure hope Eric had a great surgery and is having a great recovery. You can do everything right post injury and still never be the same guy.

Top Bottom