Ranking Big Ten's 2018 Rosters (Trending Up: Purdue, Minnesota) Trending Down (UW)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Athlon:

Trending up
Not surprisingly, two programs that saw some noticeable bumps in recruiting efforts over the past year just so happened to have two of the most exciting coaching hires prior to the 2017 season. P.J. Fleck has Minnesota rowing their way up the recruiting rankings in 2018 with the hope of building a winner in the Big Ten West. Joining Fleck is Jeff Brohm at Purdue, with the Boilermakers jumping up 22 spots in the national recruiting rankings into the top 50 for their best class in years. Time will tell if either coach can keep that momentum moving upward over the next year, but both coaches are off to a great start injecting some new enthusiasm at their respective programs.

Trending down
Somewhat surprisingly, Wisconsin has taken a very shallow step back in the national recruiting rankings for a second straight season. Fortunately for the Badgers, that may not mean a whole lot as far as the Big Ten West is concerned given how the Badgers seem to always thrive on talent that is either overlooked or disrespected. The trend may be more a reflection on how the Big Ten East has loaded up on talent, but with Minnesota and Purdue trending upward, Iowa slipping ahead of the Badgers in the recruiting rankings for the first time since 2012, and Nebraska hoping to thrive with Scott Frost, the Badgers could be about to lose their stranglehold on the division relatively soon if this pattern continues.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-big-tens-football-rosters-2018

Go Gophers!!

We have been hearing this for awhile. Then they pull a grad transfer out of there hat and keep on winning.

I feel like Wisconsin returns 10 defensive starters every year. Does this finally not happen this year?

I feel like Wisconsin returns 10 defensive starters every year. Does this finally not happen this year?

I think quite few defense graduate, but most of their offense returns. Theyll be good next year

Badgers are pretty much where they've been for the last decade.

Ah the annual Wisconsin is about ready to fall or regress prediction.... just like last year and the year before and all the other years they won the B1G West...

Not so fast.

Wiscy is off to a fast start in 2019 with three fours stars and a total of eight recruits, currently ranked #3 (Composite Avg 89.33, 141.20 points) on 247Sports. https://247sports.com/college/wisconsin/Season/2019-Football/Commits

MN OTOH, have two three star and a two star commit, is currently at #35 (Composite Avg 0.8199, 35.69 points). PJ Fleck must see something in two star and unranked players that no one has evaluated.

Honestly Wisconsin's record will not be as good next year. It has nothing to do with the team and everything to do with:
@Iowa
@Michigan
@Northwestern
@Penn State
@Purdue

If they make it through the conference unbeaten again they should and will be top 2 in the country.

Seriously? The two star commit is a long-snapper. Don't get ahead of yourself.

Long Snapper Payton Jordahl is a RS Senior. The only other listed LS is Michael Vojvodich who is a 2018 PWO. Brady Weeks is ranked the No. 1 Long Snapper by Kohl's Academy. PJ Fleck must be really confident that this kid is legit to warrant offering a scholie to. I don't get it. Don't most D1 teams fill this position with PWOs?

Jerry Kill did offer a scholarship to Grant Ryerse two years in advance which PJ Fleck honored in 2017.

I think quite few defense graduate, but most of their offense returns. Theyll be good next year
This. They only lose a couple offensive players.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Until Barry A takes the dirt nap, they will be consistently good.

Long Snapper Payton Jordahl is a RS Senior. The only other listed LS is Michael Vojvodich who is a 2018 PWO. Brady Weeks is ranked the No. 1 Long Snapper by Kohl's Academy. PJ Fleck must be really confident that this kid is legit to warrant offering a scholie to. I don't get it. Don't most D1 teams fill this position with PWOs?

Jerry Kill did offer a scholarship to Grant Ryerse two years in advance which PJ Fleck honored in 2017.

I suppose quite a few may end up doing that, but with him looking like, so far, the top LS in the nation, I think it is okay for him to receive an offer. For example, Thomas Fletcher is a scholarship Long Snapper recruited two years ago by Alabama, and there was another offered the same year by Auburn. That's two by two very well ranked programs. Maybe its not super popular, but it is happening. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Payton Jordahl is on scholarship too, so it may just be a recycling of a scholarship athlete which will be graduating this year.

Wan't he a PWO who red shirted in 2014? Did he earn a scholarship two years later?

I suppose quite a few may end up doing that, but with him looking like, so far, the top LS in the nation, I think it is okay for him to receive an offer. For example, Thomas Fletcher is a scholarship Long Snapper recruited two years ago by Alabama, and there was another offered the same year by Auburn. That's two by two very well ranked programs. Maybe its not super popular, but it is happening. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Payton Jordahl is on scholarship too, so it may just be a recycling of a scholarship athlete which will be graduating this year.

Most PWO, I'm guessing, start out as PWO and earn scholarships as they get PT from what I've seen

How long did Athlon wrote that Wiscy is trending down? I don't think so. Wisconsin just threw down the gauntlet with their first eight commits.

If Wiscy commit Graham Mertz does sign, the Gophers really need to land a top QB like a Hank Bachmeier or a Max Duggan.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&PositionGroup=QB

The B1G West is getting tougher and stronger. PJ FLeck and the Gophers will have a tough road ahead if they cannot keep up with recruiting.

How long did Athlon wrote that Wiscy is trending down? I don't think so. Wisconsin just threw down the gauntlet with their first eight commits.

If Wiscy commit Graham Mertz does sign, the Gophers really need to land a top QB like a Hank Bachmeier or a Max Duggan.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&PositionGroup=QB

The B1G West is getting tougher and stronger. PJ FLeck and the Gophers will have a tough road ahead if they cannot keep up with recruiting.

Yeah, 2019 is starting out as one of its best classes in years. Wins = Better recruiting. Fleck needs to get his squad winning now to keep recruiting where he did this year.

It's officially the off-season. Gophers on the rise, Badgers on the decline!

Top Bottom