Pitino on college basketball's corruption: 'hard to really know' what's to come

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

The NCAA president watched the uncovering of corruption spread across college basketball Friday and said the reports, if true, represent "systematic failures" in college sports.

A wide-ranging, deep report from Yahoo Sports based on federal documents published Friday shows at least 20 major programs and over two dozen players committed cash and benefits violations.

Richard Pitino does not expect the nationwide investigation to find wrongdoing in his program, and a University of Minnesota internal review earlier this season found it to be in good standing. Still, the fifth-year Gophers coach was searching for clarity Friday as the fallout spread.

"It's kind of hard to know what the truth is," Pitino told the Star Tribune on Friday. "It's hard to really know what's going to come of it. I think everybody is speculating and guessing. I don't really know. It's hard.

"I feel great about where we're going. We believe in what we're doing."

"You see all the schools involved, and I've been on the other side of it as a son and what's been written about my dad," Richard Pitino said Friday. "I don't believe it to be true. So I don't know what to believe. But I definitely feel good about where we're going.

"What's hard with all this stuff is, saying we should be held accountable with everything under our watch — I get it. I don't have a problem with it. I really don't. But saying we should know everything all the time is not realistic. So, yes, we are going to be held accountable. That's the way it works everywhere, in all business, for the most part. ... But you can't know everything. You got to educate as much as you possibly can and trust the people around you.

"My dad's going through it right now. It is what it is, and it's very hard."

http://www.startribune.com/richard-...hard-to-really-know-what-s-to-come/474994903/

Go Gophers!!

I am sure there are many people in higher education who would love to see the big revenue sports go down in flames regardless of whether truth brings them down or lies bring them down.

Top Bottom