STrib: It's been a trying time for Gophers coach Richard Pitino

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Richard Pitino breathed a sigh of relief Wednesday as he grabbed the microphone to address the Williams Arena crowd after the Gophers men’s basketball team escaped Iowa on senior night.

His team won for the first time in more than a month, so it was easier for the fifth-year coach to thank fans for supporting his program through a difficult season.

Difficult likely doesn’t fully describe the past six months for Pitino and his family — from his Hall of Fame father’s September firing as Louisville coach, to several injuries to key players, a player expulsion and the Gophers collapsing with 12 losses in their previous 13 games, including nine in a row before Wednesday.

At least for one night, Gophers faithful showered Pitino and his players with cheers, especially senior Nate Mason following his memorable 33-point performance in his final home game.

Pitino was able to go home Wednesday night and enjoy a victory with his wife and kids. Two years ago during a lengthy losing streak, his oldest, Ava, used to wake him up to ask him if they finally won.

“We beat Iowa and I woke her up to tell her we won,” Pitino said Friday. “She had a big smile on her face. So she’s starting to understand it. I remember the next morning, she was like: ‘I can’t believe you beat Iowa. I don’t know how you won with all those injuries.’ ”

http://www.startribune.com/it-s-been-a-trying-time-for-gophers-coach-richard-pitino/475064243/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom