One and dones

hungan1

Reaction score
Should the NCAA consider banning the practice of one and dones? This is probably fueling the temptation for corruption.

These kids doing these aren't student scholar athletes. They are there to win championships and generate revenue and endowments, wait their year in college and then they are gone to the pros.

Why not do what Kevin Garnett did and go straight to the pros or go play pro basketball overseas for a year?

Cardale Jones said it best jokingly on Twitter which he deleted: "I ain't here to play school." Add fool at the end of the sentence.

Note that Cardale Jones did graduate from tOSU in African-American and African Studies. https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/05/07/cardale-jones-graduation-cap-ohio-state-tweet

How many of these Power 5 BB schools create meaningless classes for these athletes who will be gone after one year?

Should the NCAA consider banning the practice of one and dones?

These kids doing these are not student scholar athletes. They are there to win championships and generate revenue and endowments.

Why not do what Kevin Garnett did and go straight to the pros or go play pro basketball overseas for a year?

Cardale Jones said it best on Twitter which he deleted: "I ain't here to play school." Add fool at the end of the sentence.

Note that Cardale Jones did graduate from tOSU in African-American and African Studies. https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/05/07/cardale-jones-graduation-cap-ohio-state-tweet

How many of these Power BB school create meaningless classes for these athletes who will be gone after one year?

How many actually finish out the year?

How does that factor into the school's APR? Do they somehow get Pass/Fail classes created for them or passing grades to meet minimum APR requirements?

And honestly, it doesn't bother me. Kentucky is the only school that seems to overdo it and their program is so Jekyll & Hyde, I don't think I could handle being a UK fan, I thank the heavens everyday I am not, it was bad enough watching the Gopher hockey struggle with losing so many players after just a season back from 06-08 give or take. Other schools like Duke and UNC seem to know how to exercise some moderation in this regard, and I would never, ever, ever watch some Jr league, so unless they go to a college for 1 year, I'd miss seeing some of those great players play, and Gopher hockey fans would have missed out on Kessel playing for us. What about Mittlestadt? Would he have opted just to skip college? We'd probably lose a lot of good hockey players if one and dones are not allowed?

By allowing NBA owners to set the rules re: one and dones, the NCAA has agreed to be a minor league farm system and effectively allowed the tail to wag the dog. They should control their own rules, so if they adopted a MLB-like rule where you either go pro out of HS or wait until you complete 3 years of college, they regain control of the process and players participating in that sport.

By allowing NBA owners to set the rules re: one and dones, the NCAA has agreed to be a minor league farm system and effectively allowed the tail to wag the dog. They should control their own rules, so if they adopted a MLB-like rule where you either go pro out of HS or wait until you complete 3 years of college, they regain control of the process and players participating in that sport.

IMHO, it is time for the NCAA to right its ship. The first thing they need to do what you just mentioned. Eliminate one and dones. Play three years college or turn pro straight out of high school. This may help mitigate some of the abuses.

Hold the players accountable by actually taking legitimate classes that will help them in life. Most of these kids aren't going to turn pros. The odds college players making it into the NBA is closer to 1.3%. NBA teams only draft 60 players each year.

http://www.hoopsvibe.com/features/285631-the-odds-of-playin-in-the-nba

While most colleges do their due diligence to ensure that the scholarship kids do get legitimate education, there are some who abuse the system to win championships at the expense of the students' legitimate education.

Basketball teams get around the APR with these one and dones somehow. Tighten the APR requirement rules and penalize basketball teams by taking away scholarships to teams who do not meet real college work requirements. Eliminate manufactured classes specifically aimed at keeping players eligible.

Aren't there usually less than 15 one and dones per year? I think 2017 was higher but not sure if that is a trend or just an outlier.

You make a good point. A lot of fans will think its not the best move. If it's just cbb that you are talking about, I'm ok with that. But as a hockey fan, too, a lot of hockey players would simply skip college and would hurt blue bloods like Minnesota more than the non-blue bloods, imo.

You make a good point. A lot of fans will think its not the best move. If it's just cbb that you are talking about, I'm ok with that. But as a hockey fan, too, a lot of hockey players would simply skip college and would hurt blue bloods like Minnesota more than the non-blue bloods, imo.

The NCAA has no control over the one and done rule. it exists because the NBA made it exist. Just like the MLB rule, which is an MLB rule, not an NCAA rule. Or the NFL rule, which prohibits players from going pro unless they are out of HS for 3 years. The NBA doesn't want kids straight out of HS because the miss potential is higher. By having the 19 year old/1 year out of school rule, the NBA gets: 1) Free exposure for the soon to be rookies 2) Waiting a year to see how good a kid really is to allow teams to draft better 3) I'm sure other stuff.

Its a win-win for the NBA, a win-lose for the NCAA and a lose-lose for potential HS straight to the NBA kids. Either they go waste a year in college risking injury/showing they aren't that good or they wait a year and go pro, causing them to lose a year of earnings (insert Ayton joke here)

You're complaining about an organization (the NCAA) that has no control here. They can't force kids to stay in college for 3 years if the NBA allows them to enter the draft after 1.

Great move.

Ban guys from going pro after one year. That’ll stop them.

the NCAA can only control so much of it-- and we see what happens when they try to enforce any rules.

But if you make all scholarships count for 3 years whether that player stays in school or not, it would really make coaches think about who they recruit and how they manage their 15 scholarships. some allowance would have to be made for a normal transfer (another thing that has gotten out of hand) but if a kid goes to the NBA after 1 year, his scholarship sits empty at the school for 2.

one counterpoint to this would be that their is a scholarship sitting their unused for two years and some kid isn't using it.

Great move.

Ban guys from going pro after one year. That’ll stop them.

They wouldn't be banned from going pro after one year, they'd have the choice of going pro straight out of high school.
Under current NBA rules that would likely mean playing overseas for a year, just like Brandon Jennings and Emmanuel Mudiay, if they wanted to be draft eligible one year out of high school.

Scrap NCAA.

Universities can operate as independent sport clubs under a FIBA-sanctioned U.S. national governing body for basketball. Kids get paid for their talents, clubs move up and down divisional tiers based on sporting merit, we all have fun watching promotion/relegation scraps and David vs. Goliath storylines every year.

Addresses the root of our symptomatic U.S. sport/NCAA racket problems.

Exactly like the English soccer system or normal soccer systems around the world. Clubs in the fourth tier of English soccer pay over $1.5 in average squad payroll. That's a nice full time job for players on clubs in the 80-100 range of the pyramid.

Clubs operate as real businesses in a $ industry.

PAY

THE

KIDS

Rep me.

Scrap NCAA.

Universities can operate as independent sport clubs under a FIBA-sanctioned U.S. national governing body for basketball. Kids get paid for their talents, clubs move up and down divisional tiers based on sporting merit, we all have fun watching promotion/relegation scraps and David vs. Goliath storylines every year.

Addresses the root of our symptomatic U.S. sport/NCAA racket problems.

Exactly like the English soccer system or normal soccer systems around the world. Clubs in the fourth tier of English soccer pay over $1.5 in average squad payroll. That's a nice full time job for players on clubs in the 80-100 range of the pyramid.

Clubs operate as real businesses in a $ industry.

PAY

THE

KIDS

Rep me.

The call to pay players is always done with the star players in mind, but let's be honest what it means for the non stars. If you choose to go professional and pay people what they are worth, the street will go both ways. Why would the U or more accurately the state of Minnesota pay Diedhou any amount of money to play basketball? But what do you do? Kick him out of school? We sure as heck aren't going to keep guys around pay them money and tuition if they can't help our basketball team. That is not how business is done.

Pitino chimes in:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Work with the NBA to replicate the baseball rule. If they refuse, make it so that scholarships are used for 4 years or until the player transfers to another university. That will limit the # of 1 and done.

Make every scholarship that is given tied to a minimum of two years. So if a player ends up a one and done then you have one less scholarship to use that next season. If a player stays at least two - four years no problem. Then some teams would have to decide if recruiting that one and done player is worth it.

Top Bottom