FBI Wiretaps Confirm Sean Miller Discussed 100k Payment To Get Ayton

Former Goofer

Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22559284/sean-miller-arizona-christian-dawkins-discussed-payment-ensure-deandre-ayton-signing-according-fbi-investigation

FBI wiretaps intercepted telephone conversations between Arizona coach Sean Miller and Christian Dawkins, a key figure in the FBI's investigation into college basketball corruption, in which Miller discussed paying $100,000 to ensure star freshman DeAndre Ayton signed with the Wildcats, sources familiar with the government's evidence told ESPN.

Something with real meat. Wiretaps with coaches directly discussing payment. That's not good.

Enfield may be next.

I don't have any strong feelings on Miller or Arizona but I want blood for all we've had to endure.

I won't be satisfied until some of these people face jail time. And coaches who cheated have to pay back the money schools paid them.

Bye Sean. This year's coaching carousel will be very interesting.

Players and coaches involved should go top jail. The NBA should ban these type of players for life is the only way to fix this corruption/cheating scandals.

Just watching SportsCenter's coverage of this. The mood I got from ESPN is nervousness. The blue blood teams are their bread and butter. They seem scared to death by this. I might be misreading it, but the vibe I get is them treating Miller as a victim.

Just watching SportsCenter's coverage of this. The mood I got from ESPN is nervousness. The blue blood teams are their bread and butter. They seem scared to death by this. I might be misreading it, but the vibe I get is them treating Miller as a victim.

They literally had the scoop...

Still have to pay him about $10M just to fire him WITH CAUSE. Whoever negotiated that contract on Arizona’s end is definitely getting fired

Miller's likely gone but it'll be interesting to see what happens with the other blue bloods. Everyone cheats, at all levels, and it has been known for a long time. Some just cheat more than others.

Miller's likely gone but it'll be interesting to see what happens with the other blue bloods. Everyone cheats, at all levels, and it has been known for a long time. Some just cheat more than others.

I've come to agree with those saying we should simply do away with the idea of amateurism, like the Olympics did. It would solve almost all of the problems going on right now and might take a lot of power away from the NCAA. And as much of an advantage that some schools would have over UMn, those schools already have an advantage over UMn, but some of the cheaters that unfairly gain an advantage over UMn may lose their advantage once everyone is allowed to basically "buy" players services. And we could benefit more than anyone else when it comes to hockey.

I've come to agree with those saying we should simply do away with the idea of amateurism, like the Olympics did. It would solve almost all of the problems going on right now and might take a lot of power away from the NCAA. And as much of an advantage that some schools would have over UMn, those schools already have an advantage over UMn, but some of the cheaters that unfairly gain an advantage over UMn may lose their advantage once everyone is allowed to basically "buy" players services. And we could benefit more than anyone else when it comes to hockey.

That would almost destroy what is unique about college basketball, you would rarely have the Cinderella stories that are critical to the early rounds of the NCAA tournament that makes it so appealing, I would say the NCAA is in a catch-22 situation

That would almost destroy what is unique about college basketball, you would rarely have the Cinderella stories that are critical to the early rounds of the NCAA tournament that makes it so appealing, I would say the NCAA is in a catch-22 situation

Well, all the cheating and corruption is also unique to cbb and prob cfb, too.

And if you think the Butler's and Wichita St's and Gonzaga's of the world won't ever make Cinderella runs anymore, then you are naïve. Why do I say this? You don't think those schools have boosters?

And there will still be lots of one and doners or two and doners coming and going at the big schools, so the Cinderellas with senior laden rosters will still be able to beat some of the blue bloods, especially since recruiting is not an exact science, just because you get some Top 10 or Top 50 recruit doesn't mean that player will pan out.

Agreed. It would ruin what makes NCAA basketball so unique and compelling.

This is fine

11745s.jpg

[borrowed from the front page of /r/collegebasketball]

Well, all the cheating and corruption is also unique to cbb and prob cfb, too.

And if you think the Butler's and Wichita St's and Gonzaga's of the world won't ever make Cinderella runs anymore, then you are naïve. Why do I say this? You don't think those schools have boosters?

And there will still be lots of one and doners or two and doners coming and going at the big schools, so the Cinderellas with senior laden rosters will still be able to beat some of the blue bloods, especially since recruiting is not an exact science, just because you get some Top 10 or Top 50 recruit doesn't mean that player will pan out.

Butler and Witchita St. As well as us aren't exactly in the same league with Bama football or Kentucky basketball and don't have the same amount of or type of boosters they have so a cinderella run is pretty much going to be ruled out. A big reason I am against paying players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Players and coaches involved should go top jail. The NBA should ban these type of players for life is the only way to fix this corruption/cheating scandals.

What law did they break?

Absolutely. If you go the way of ditching amateurism, you are going to see a HUGE contingent of fans walk away from the college game. There are already professional sports. Paying the players a pittance to be a much lesser version of the NBA or NFL would make college sports be the equivalent of minor league baseball. Why choose a lesser same product over the high level of professional sports.

Not to mention, if you want to pay the players, how much are you prepared to pay them. Does anybody think if Arizona was paying Ayton $100,000 officially, that he wouldn't be tempted to get another $100,000 off the books?

Do away with the silly rules like not being able to get their dinner paid for in an agent meeting and work with the NBA to do away with the one and done rule. Tell the players that if they want to play for money they can play in the NBA, Europe, or China, but if college is the route they choose then there are rules that have to be followed. If the coaches break the rules, they are gone and show cause will be passed out liberally to make sure they know that their livelihood is at risk, not just a scholarship here and there and a few vacated wins.

This, if laws were broken. I'm not sure that's the case (?).

Absolutely. If you go the way of ditching amateurism, you are going to see a HUGE contingent of fans walk away from the college game. There are already professional sports. Paying the players a pittance to be a much lesser version of the NBA or NFL would make college sports be the equivalent of minor league baseball. Why choose a lesser same product over the high level of professional sports.

Not to mention, if you want to pay the players, how much are you prepared to pay them. Does anybody think if Arizona was paying Ayton $100,000 officially, that he wouldn't be tempted to get another $100,000 off the books?

Do away with the silly rules like not being able to get their dinner paid for in an agent meeting and work with the NBA to do away with the one and done rule. Tell the players that if they want to play for money they can play in the NBA, Europe, or China, but if college is the route they choose then there are rules that have to be followed. If the coaches break the rules, they are gone and show cause will be passed out liberally to make sure they know that their livelihood is at risk, not just a scholarship here and there and a few vacated wins.

Either the rules are too soft of the punishment is too soft. If the rule is there, the NCAA - at least since the Gophers in 1999 - has done a very poor job of oversight of those rules; with the most obvious case being UNC sports.

This, if laws were broken. I'm not sure that's the case (?).

Either the rules are too soft of the punishment is too soft. If the rule is there, the NCAA - at least since the Gophers in 1999 - has done a very poor job of oversight of those rules; with the most obvious case being UNC sports.

My thought is that the enforcement is too soft on the big violations and too strict on things like Miles Bridges mom getting her Bourbon Steak at Applebees paid for. The NCAA might be afraid of sticking it to their member schools, but the time has come to either say that the rules are there for a reason or let the big boys go and pretend they are a professional sports organization, only with lesser players.

What law did they break?

Wouldn’t payments made under the table be considered tax evasion (assuming neither side filed the forms)?

~not a tax person or attorney

Shaq Diesel's son has decommitted from Arizona. Could be a good time to have a free schollie still available. Might be juicy freshman that are all of a sudden available.

What law did they break?

I thought I saw that Miller was paying Ayton with university funds, which would constitute fraud, but I’m not sure if that’s correct. I’ve also been a little confused on the line between what’s merely against NCAA rules versus being actually illegal.

In the end the coaches hold the answer to cleaning up their sports, but they don't really want to actually fix it, just pay lip service to things like honesty and fair play.

They like to play the card that there is this fraternity among coaches so they would never inform on each other to the NCAA, yet at the same time pretend they want their sports cleaned up. They are the key to the NCAA actually being able to find out who's dirty and what players and agents are looking for money. For example, does anybody actually think that Ayton or his representatives only came to Arizona asking for $100,000? Some teams wouldn't play ball of course, but that can't just be enough. Those teams need to let the NCAA know that a certain player or agent is shopping their services. That way the NCAA can connect the dots pretty easily to the teams who are willing to buy players. If schools or coaches were willing to come forward to the NCAA, players and their families would stop asking pretty quick for money because they know their elgibility would be at risk.

It's just like when you here about a bad neighborhood that says it wants the cops to clean up their streets, but yet when the cops come around nobody will answer any questions on who is committing the crimes.

I thought I saw that Miller was paying Ayton with university funds, which would constitute fraud, but I’m not sure if that’s correct. I’ve also been a little confused on the line between what’s merely against NCAA rules versus being actually illegal.

Won't the Ayton $100K payment be undeclared income?

Bilas, Williams, and Greenberg spent the first 10-15 minutes of Gameday talking about this and how Miller is toast and there needs to be changes to the amateurism rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom