Meet the Bag Man: How To Buy College Football Players

hungan1

Reaction score

What is happening in college basketball may pale in comparison to college football. In light of the basketball scandals, it is worth looking at the dark side of college football recruiting cheating.

Here is a rehash of an article written by Steven Godfrey at SB Nation, April 10, 2014:

Meet The Bag Man
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/4/10/5594348/college-football-bag-man-interview

Somehow I thought this was about Holtz's bagman.

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/11/18/sports/sports-of-the-times-whose-hand-was-that-anyway.html

I always wonder about this. I love watching the games and what not, and I'm well enough off that I could probably help with stuff like this, but I would never pay a bribe in my life. Too much risk for something as trivial as a University football program. I love my Gophers, but there is no way in hell I would ever go out of my way to coordinate payments to players. It's illegal and unethical. Its prevalence is completely ridiculous.

Can you imagine going to jail for this? What a stupid hill to die on.

These type of cash payments are probably mostly prevalent in the SEC. And this article makes it obvious that it’s about the Southeast with its geographic descriptions.

The NCAA has ignored this for decades. It’s only now that the IRS is involved that there is any sort of legitimate threat to players, programs, and “boosters” that participate in this type of scheme.

It will take a dozens of players, administrators, and bagmen actually serving time before you have concensus among the college football community that running a clean program is the only option.

When Cousin Eddie Asst Coach can make 200-300k, a mediocre coordinator can make 500-700k (and good ones much, much more), and head coaches can earn generational wealth in one contract year the economic rewards for cheating are so outsized to any potential penalty it’s amazing it hasn’t devolved into an even bigger mess.

People will risk pokey time and cheat, lie, and steal for much, much less.

I believe the phrase goes, "play stupid games, win stupid prizes."
I know for a fact that this happens at OSU and PSU as well so it's not just a Southern phenomenon.

So a bag-man and a bag-lady are quite different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve always wondered why schools don’t sue both cheating coaches and former players for damages when they leave a program in the dumpster with NCAA penalties.

I always wonder about this. I love watching the games and what not, and I'm well enough off that I could probably help with stuff like this, but I would never pay a bribe in my life. Too much risk for something as trivial as a University football program. I love my Gophers, but there is no way in hell I would ever go out of my way to coordinate payments to players. It's illegal and unethical. Its prevalence is completely ridiculous.

this is why we are 60+ years without a championship... We dont cheat enough!

So a bag-man and a bag-lady are quite different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A bag man does more than the honey do list. He's got to be out with the boys once in a while where he does his bag tricks.

A bag man has to die first in order to make a bag lady. Bag ladies have seven years over bag men and can do whatever they want with the leftover bag money.

If you're going to cheat...then cheat to win.

Charlie Pell and Danny Ford at Clemson are Exhibit A here. Natty for the 1981 season with subsequent bowl bans for '82-83 once investigated and sanctioned. Former Bears great William "The Fridge" Perry was on those teams.

Yikes. Minnesota isn't good at the cheating game.

There's cheating at all levels of college football and beyond in support of football programs.

Those who say they are not cheaters the most I'd say pass the Pinnochio test ala Bill Clinton.

It makes you wonder how many of the Power 5 top schools have orchestrated cheating with complex tentacles eveywhere down to a science.

The UNC basketball cheating scandal got tamped down by powerful people. If my memory serves me right, even members of congress. It appears to me that they got help from powerful people to conveniently changed the narrative. They offered alternative facts to say that no crime was committed because classes in question are available to all UNC students. They got their scapegoats lined up. Problem solved.

Are the Alabamas and tOSUs of college football untouchable? The NCAA does not want to bite the hands that feeds it.

These type of cash payments are probably mostly prevalent in the SEC. And this article makes it obvious that it’s about the Southeast with its geographic descriptions.

I would guess the guy featured in the article is a Tennessee bag man.

Top Bottom