Delaney says condensed schedule was a bad decision

MennoSota

Reaction score
One and done.

That was essentially the message from Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany, who told the Tribune on Friday the conference tournament would return to Madison Square Garden in New York only if the Big Ten can have the premier weekend — the one the Big East has had locked in since 1983.

Why? Because moving this season’s event to MSG required the tournament to move up a week, creating a condensed regular-season schedule that coaches despised. Indiana, for example, played five games during a 12-day span from Jan. 19-30. Illinois just suited up three times in five days.

“I appreciate the sacrifices the teams made, the impact it had on our students,” Delany said. “Wasn’t good. Wasn’t healthy. I thought starting (the conference schedule) early was OK, but if you look at our schedules (through the years), we’ve been able to give everybody two-day prep (before games) in 99 percent of the cases.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.chic...n-basketball-schedule-20180223-story,amp.html
“We won’t do it again this way, and I take responsibility for asking the coaches. … If we can make it back to the Garden on a regular week, that’s great.

Ya think? DUH!!! It was a horrible mistake! Especially for the Gophers.

Some Indiana fan told me about 2 weeks ago that B1G teams NEVER play 3 games in one week??? lol

I listed 4 different options of instances THIS year where the Gophers played 3 games in a 7 day period. In fact all 4 of those time periods overlapped, so it wasn't just a one time thing that the team could recover from, it was back to back weeks they did this, and then, on top of that, later I realized our last 3 games would all be played in the same week, too. And that stretch of 6 games in 14 days unfortunately came at the worst time possible for the Gophers.

A bad setup anyway, but particularly bad for the Gophers when they've had just 2.5 of their best players at full strength most of the conference season and needed to manage fast turnarounds with little recovery time.

Yet it’s ok for NCAA refs to work 5-7 nights a week and think it’s a good product.

I've posted this before. There have been at least three and maybe as many as 5 times this year where the Gophers have played two games in three days with travel. As God is my witness, I never remember that occurring even once before in the 27 years we've had season tickets. Not sure what the hell the conference is trying to prove with that or whether it's unique to this year's compressed schedule, but it's got to stop; its not college basketball.

One and done.

That was essentially the message from Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany, who told the Tribune on Friday the conference tournament would return to Madison Square Garden in New York only if the Big Ten can have the premier weekend — the one the Big East has had locked in since 1983.

Why? Because moving this season’s event to MSG required the tournament to move up a week, creating a condensed regular-season schedule that coaches despised. Indiana, for example, played five games during a 12-day span from Jan. 19-30. Illinois just suited up three times in five days.

“I appreciate the sacrifices the teams made, the impact it had on our students,” Delany said. “Wasn’t good. Wasn’t healthy. I thought starting (the conference schedule) early was OK, but if you look at our schedules (through the years), we’ve been able to give everybody two-day prep (before games) in 99 percent of the cases.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.chic...n-basketball-schedule-20180223-story,amp.html
“We won’t do it again this way, and I take responsibility for asking the coaches. … If we can make it back to the Garden on a regular week, that’s great.

At least they had two home games in that stretch and the road games weren't too far away (at Michigan St, Ohio St., Illinois)

The Gophers had a much worse span with 5 games in 11 days. 4 of 5 were away from home and 3 of 5 were halfway across the country.

Jan 10 @NW
Jan 13 Purdue
Jan 15 @Penn St
Jan 18 @Maryland
Jan 20 Ohio St in New York.

Ya think? DUH!!! It was a horrible mistake! Especially for the Gophers.

Some Indiana fan told me about 2 weeks ago that B1G teams NEVER play 3 games in one week??? lol

I listed 4 different options of instances THIS year where the Gophers played 3 games in a 7 day period. In fact all 4 of those time periods overlapped, so it wasn't just a one time thing that the team could recover from, it was back to back weeks they did this, and then, on top of that, later I realized our last 3 games would all be played in the same week, too. And that stretch of 6 games in 14 days unfortunately came at the worst time possible for the Gophers.

+1

Thanks for sharing. Was just complaining about this with a coworker

I'm ok that they tried it. It didn't work well. Fixing the mistake. All is well in my eyes.....

I've posted this before. There have been at least three and maybe as many as 5 times this year where the Gophers have played two games in three days with travel. As God is my witness, I never remember that occurring even once before in the 27 years we've had season tickets. Not sure what the hell the conference is trying to prove with that or whether it's unique to this year's compressed schedule, but it's got to stop; its not college basketball.
21 years here, and this has been the worst schedule ever for us. And as stated by WindyCity - a very tough year for us to not have recovery time.
btw - next year in the WindyCity: we'll be there!

2 more games

One and done.

Ok, so it was a mistake. Help me out, how is the problem going to be solved by moving the BTT back to the traditional week?

Going forward it's going to be a 20 game Conf schedule, so that seems to be a wash unless they decide to play 1 or 2 extra games in December (including in between Xmas/New Year's Day).

Ok, so it was a mistake. Help me out, how is the problem going to be solved by moving the BTT back to the traditional week?

Going forward it's going to be a 20 game Conf schedule, so that seems to be a wash unless they decide to play 1 or 2 extra games in December (including in between Xmas/New Year's Day).

True!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Physical proof of how stupid it is to have the BTT in NYC. Look at those distances and how did nobody in the B10 office think NYC was still a good idea?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Physical proof of how stupid it is to have the BTT in NYC. Look at those distances and how did nobody in the B10 office think NYC was still a good idea?

I'm sure most people in NY see this and are like WTF is this?

I've shopped at that GAP.

Nice touch. pic.twitter.com/kPMn4I9JXv— Alex Roux (@arouxBTN) February 26, 2018

It's a long way to Tipperary...
3113.91 miles to NYC.
Perhaps this is the B1G Fight Song!
https://youtu.be/FsynSgeo_Uo

Top Bottom