GopherHole Q&A: Gabe Kalscheur on Excitement for Gophers and Much More

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
GopherHole Q&A: Gabe Kalscheur on Excitement for Gophers and Much More
By Chris Monter

http://main.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/890181?referrer_id=

Gabe Kalscheur, a 6-foot-5, 200-pound senior guard from Minneapolis (MN) DeLaSalle, signed with Minnesota in the fall, joining two of his Howard Pulley AAU teammates. Kalscheur is ranked as the fourth best player in the Minnesota Class of 2018. He received a scholarship offer from Minnesota last summer.
Kalscheur caught up with Gopher Hole recently to learn the latest on his senior season and his signing with Minnesota.
Gopher Hole: You seem like you have gotten bigger since the last time that I saw you. Was that something that you wanted to do since you are going into college next year and the Big Ten is known as a one of the more physical conferences?

Gabe Kalscheur: Yes, for sure. It is the Big Ten, so you have got to be strong going in there. This past summer, I was in the weight room hard, so I have been getting stronger. It works on the court right now, so it is going to have to work in the Big Ten.

Gopher Hole: You started the season, playing some good teams like Iowa City West and Hopkins in some big settings and came up on the short end, while you were missing some players. Do you think those type of games can help you to get battle-tested?

Gabe Kalscheur: Yes, for sure. Games at the beginning of the season like that, will definitely helps us right now and in March. Playing good games right now, will definitely get us ready for March.

Gopher Hole: You also had some good outstate games. You played in Mitchell, South Dakota, where you usually play each year and you played down in Iowa. Do you like those type of experiences since not many kids get the chance to play outside the state?

Gabe Kalscheur: It is a lot of fun. The game are fun, but it is also fun just building chemistry with the teammates, especially the ones that weren’t here last year. Just building trust with them in the game and in the practices. That helps a lot.

Gopher Hole: You have a new head coach, but he is very familiar with the program. Is there really a big change, to be honest, with what you guys are doing compared to what you did under Coach Thorson?

Gabe Kalscheur: Not really. The defensive part is the same, but the offense is more push-it-up and we are trying to get the tempo up high. I like that personally, because that is going to get me ready for the U because I know that they like to pass it up and play fast. I like that.

Gopher Hole: You signed in the fall with the Gophers. What was the feeling when you finally made the official and had that behind you so that you can focus on your senior season?

Gabe Kalscheur: All the pressure was off. I just felt like free and it felt great just knowing that I am going to end my senior season at home and I am also going to play at home, too. That just felt great.

Gopher Hole: You were able to sign with two guys that you know extremely well that you played with AAU-wise with the Howard Pulley squad in Jarvis Thomas Omersa and Daniel Oturu. How much more does that make it special with the fact that you are all going into the University of Minnesota next year?

Gabe Kalscheur: It makes it really special because just knowing that I have people that are going to go there, rooming with them and just knowing them. I am really good friends with Dan and Jarvis, because they are funny guys and they are my brothers. It is going to be fun.

Gopher Hole: Overall, did you like the recruiting experience or did you see that it could get a little old after a while?

Gabe Kalscheur: Yes. I liked it at first, but it got a lot, especially when Peach Jam came and then that ended and we had another tournament in Las Vegas and it was just overwhelming and it just to be a lot and I just decided to commit.

Gopher Hole: Are you glad that you did it when you did it though?

Gabe Kalscheur: Yes, for sure. I’m glad I did it when I did it.

Gopher Hole: You guys won six straight state titles and the goal is to win another one. What would it mean to close out your career with four state titles in four years?

Gabe Kalscheur: It would be big. That is what I kind of came to DeLaSalle for was to win multiple championships and to win four like Jarvis (Johnson) did. That is something that no one else has done here, so that would be very memorable.

Gopher Hole: Have you had a chance to go to many of the Gopher games?

Gabe Kalscheur: I’ve been to like three or four. What happened was very devastating.

Gopher Hole: What games have you been to this year?

Gabe Kalscheur: I was at the Drake game, Miami and a couple early games.

Gopher Hole: The Miami game was when they were playing extremely well and Miami was also ranked very high. What was that atmosphere like because I know that not only were you there, but a lot of the players that they were recruited were there as well?

Gabe Kalscheur: Big games like that are what I committed to be there for because the atmosphere in the Barn is impossible to match because it is just crazy. Everyone is just supporting the hometown. The atmosphere was crazy.

Gopher Hole: Does that get you even more excited about playing?

Gabe Kalscheur: For sure. Hearing everyone and even the intro when they are coming out, gives me chills. I just can’t wait.

Gopher Hole: What is it going to mean to you the first game when you walk onto the floor of Williams Arena?

Gabe Kalscheur: It is going to be crazy. There is going to be a lot of emotion coming into that game, but it is just going to be crazy to step my foot onto that floor.

Top Bottom