Starters: 88% upperclassmen?

swingman

Reaction score
Looks like a mature and experienced group of upperclassmen likely starters...some talented underclassmen may push for time, though.

Vic redshirt soph

Rodney redshirt senior or senior Shannon

Tyler junior
Douglas rs frosh
AutmanBell rs frosh

Kieft rs soph or Beebe rs junior

Greene rs senior
Weyler rs senior
Olson rs soph
Schlueter rs soph
Dickson junior
Redshirt juniors Oseland and Dovich in the mix?

OJ Smith rs senior
Gary Moore rs senior
Redshirt junior Royal Silver in the mix?

Umlor soph or rs junior DeLatti
Otomewo rs frosh or or junior Devers

Kamal junior
Barber junior
Coughlin junior or Cashman senior
Senior Huff in the mix?

Williamson rs junior
Kiondre rs soph or senior Shenault

Huff rs senior
Winfield rs soph

Carpenter rs senior
Herbers rs junior
Jordahl rs senior
Redshirt soph Mack has a big leg

If that's the case that is great, and experience is outstanding, but I think a little too much emphasis gets put on seniority sometimes, particularly on this forum sometimes. It's nice to have, I'm sure it helps that individual, but if they're not as capable as the guy they're going up against... doesn't necessarily change an outcome.

we so deep and experienced....9 wins? 10?

It's funny how hard Swingman is trying...

5 guys that he lists are transfers and have never played a down of football for the Gophers... yet they are evidence of how mature and experienced we are???

Vic
Dickson
OJ Smith
Silver
Williamson

5 guys that he lists are transfers and have never played a down of football for the Gophers... yet they are evidence of how mature and experienced we are???

Vic
Dickson
OJ Smith
Silver
Williamson

Not only that, I count 7 or 8 possible underclassmen starters. How is that only 12%?

Swingman was all about the two deeps last year to hide that the Gophers had one of the youngest starting lineups in the B1G. Now swingman is all about the starters...

Not only that, I count 7 or 8 possible underclassmen starters. How is that only 12%?

Swingman was all about the two deeps last year to hide that the Gophers had one of the youngest starting lineups in the B1G. Now swingman is all about the starters...

He's so desperate he's trying to show redshirt soph's as upperclassmen because they have been in the program for 3 years...

Since when do age or experience matter? Draftable guys, that is what matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can’t expect to win without a team composed of legal-age Mormon missionaries, kindergarten redshirts, and NFL legacies.

Since when do age or experience matter? Draftable guys, that is what matters.

I thought it was dots?

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Looks like a mature and experienced group of upperclassmen likely starters...some talented underclassmen may push for time, though.

Vic redshirt soph JUCO transfer who has not taken a D1 snap

Rodney redshirt senior or senior Shannon

Tyler junior
Douglas rs frosh
AutmanBell rs frosh

Kieft rs soph or Beebe rs junior Beebe was injured and last year and Kieft hasn't shown much

Greene rs senior
Weyler rs senior Injury history is troubling
Olson rs soph
Schlueter rs soph
Dickson junior JUCO transfer who has not played a D1 snap
Redshirt juniors Oseland and Dovich in the mix? Group as a whole struggled to open up running lanes last year, just returning the same guys isn't encouraging

OJ Smith rs senior History of transfers in to this program hasn't been good, can he play?
Gary Moore rs senior Basically one year of rotation duty for a team that has never been particularly strong on the Dline
Redshirt junior Royal Silver in the mix?JUCO transfer hasn't played a snap, couldn't crack the lineup last season

Umlor soph or rs junior DeLatti
Otomewo rs frosh or or junior Devers Devers contributions were basically limited to a few sacks in non-conference play 2 seasons ago

Kamal junior
Barber junior
Coughlin junior or Cashman senior
Senior Huff in the mix? Along with RB, the two position groups where the Gophers are truly deep and experienced with players who are clearly B1G caliber

Williamson rs juniorMuch like Smith, can he play? was pushed down the depth chart at UF
Kiondre rs soph or senior Shenault

Huff rs senior
Winfield rs soph
Carpenter rs senior
Herbers rs junior
Jordahl rs senior
Redshirt soph Mack has a big leg

It's one thing to have guys on your roster than are upperclassmen, it's another to have guys on your roster that are experienced, and it's yet another to return talented, experienced players. On paper, the Gophers have very little of the latter category...hopefully that won't be the case in 2019

Swingman just trying to be glass half-full and getting attacked? Wow. I thought I heard on Gopherhole that if you aren't being positive that you should just get out.

Swingman just trying to be glass half-full and getting attacked? Wow. I thought I heard on Gopherhole that if you aren't being positive that you should just get out.
Swingman done gone and ruffled the Fleckite narrative. Don't cha know the boys are still suckling at their mommies teet!?

Haters gonna hate.

I recognize this. Clearly, Swingman actually wants the Gophers to fail so he is denying the broken team that we are.

Vic
Dickson
OJ Smith
Silver
Williamson

While I agree with you in part, part of the reason you recruit JuCos/transfers is that these guys should have more experience than kids who are 1 year out of HS.

I get that it isn't an ideal fit to call OJ Smith a returning veteran, but I would hope he would be mature and he does have experience.

He's so desperate he's trying to show redshirt soph's as upperclassmen because they have been in the program for 3 years...

I think that's probably right. They are academically juniors. They are in the midst of their third year on campus. If you looked at the mean and median year of football teams across the country, I'd guess that the beginning of the third year on campus would be about the tipping point between upperclassmen and underclassmen.

I can totally understand an argument that would limit it to JRs and SRs, but I don't think it's dishonest or outlandish to argue that RS SOs (academic juniors) are upperclassmen.

From the tone of some of these posts, is it safe to assume that this is another year where we aren't allowed to have any expectations? Year 0.2?

From the tone of some of these posts, is it safe to assume that this is another year where we aren't allowed to have any expectations? Year 0.2?

It's interesting that the biggest Fleck fans have some of the lowest on field expectations.

I don't think we have many draftable players.

I think this is where someone posts Barry Alavarez's record at WI.

It's interesting that the biggest Fleck fans have some of the lowest on field expectations.

Some of the biggest Fleck fans have gone so "all in" on him that they can't let anything even seem like a (no matter how small or temporary) failure or setback. Either PJ is the 2nd coming or everyone sees that they are attracted to shiny objects.

Some of the biggest Fleck fans have gone so "all in" on him that they can't let anything even seem like a (no matter how small or temporary) failure or setback. Either PJ is the 2nd coming or everyone sees that they are attracted to shiny objects.

Would that mean those who don't like the shiny gold helmet think PJ is the 2nd coming?

It's interesting that the biggest Fleck critics have some of the highest on field expectations.

It's interesting that the biggest Fleck critics have some of the highest on field expectations.

That shouldn't be surprising at all. People expected more from the football team last year than what was delivered. In fact, it's precisely what you should expect. People with high expectations were obviously going to be annoyed with last year.

This does not explain why the Fleck fans do not expect us to get better for a pretty long time.

That shouldn't be surprising at all. People expected more from the football team last year than what was delivered. In fact, it's precisely what you should expect. People with high expectations were obviously going to be annoyed with last year.

This does not explain why the Fleck fans do not expect us to get better for a pretty long time.

I expect us to be better next year. In large part to bringing in better talent at QB, WR, and not being decimated in the defensive backfield.

With our starting QB transferring to FCS Tennessee St, and our leading receiver coming into last year transferring to Division II, those high expectations were totally warranted. Just a few examples of our 'deep and talented roster'.

I'm also with JG, I expect the Gophers to be better this year and make a bowl game.

Just a thought experiment, but where do you think Leidner would have landed if he had transferred out of MN? Power 5? FBS? FCS? DC and Still, maybe with the support and encouragement of a different coaching staff (rather than being made public examples of from pretty much Day 1) they would have developed better. Maybe not. I don't know. What I do know is pretty much every facet of the team was worse last year.

The team had some serious injury issues in the secondary but IMO still could have possibly gotten another one or two wins. We've been round and round on this.

I actually expect the team to be incrementally better-looking but the record could actually be worse this season (product of a tougher schedule). The preseason foes don't look like the basketcase teams we played last year. I'm girding my loins for a rough Year 1/2.

Top Bottom