Starters: 88% upperclassmen?

I expect us to be better next year. In large part to bringing in better talent at QB, WR, and not being decimated in the defensive backfield.

And I would take the same info and say.... not knowing who is going to do those things or how well raises the very real possibility of not being better.

Some folks thought with Mitch gone QB play would actually be better... I don't get the whole thing where we must get better, because no reasons.

I expect us to be better next year. In large part to bringing in better talent at QB, WR, and not being decimated in the defensive backfield.

The QB is just potential at this point. I’m excited about him but definitely an unproven commodity as a passer at this point in time. First year in the system and playing in a power 5 game. High hopes VV!

We’re still one (maybe two) injury away from being decimated in the secondary. Lost Craighton, lost Holley, lost McGhee. Durr is a really big question mark. Winfield has a suspect hamstring until proven otherwise (fingers double crossed on that one). Need Kiondre and Shenault to step up their games to help the run defense. Huff needs to come down and tackle better. Young guys behind them.

WR as a whole really couldn’t be worse than last year. Enough said about that. We’ll be better.

With our starting QB transferring to FCS Tennessee St, and our leading receiver coming into last year transferring to Division II, those high expectations were totally warranted. Just a few examples of our 'deep and talented roster'.

I'm also with JG, I expect the Gophers to be better this year and make a bowl game.

Again, I was just pointing out that is logically sound that the people with higher expectations would like Fleck less than the people with lower expectations. We weren't good last year, why would someone who had high expectations last year be a Fleck fan?

My argument had nothing to do with whether or not the high expectations were warranted.

I hope you're right. We do have some similarities to last year though.

QB position is a big question mark. There is actually a lot of pressure on Vic to be decent. If he's decent, we will be better next season. A "decent" QB is such a step up from our QB play last year, that should be a difference maker. If Vic doesn't turn out we turn to Tanner Morgan? Maybe a walk-on FR? Yeesh.

WR? I do share your optimism, but my fragile heart will not let me believe our WR prospects will pan out until they actually pan out.

Defensive Backfield? We have very little depth at Safety. We lost Duke, Ayinde, KHH, and even Zo Craighton. We didn't have much depth, we still don't.

I hope you're right. We do have some similarities to last year though.

QB position is a big question mark. There is actually a lot of pressure on Vic to be decent. If he's decent, we will be better next season. A "decent" QB is such a step up from our QB play last year, that should be a difference maker. If Vic doesn't turn out we turn to Tanner Morgan? Maybe a walk-on FR? Yeesh.

WR? I do share your optimism, but my fragile heart will not let me believe our WR prospects will pan out until they actually pan out.

Defensive Backfield? We have very little depth at Safety. We lost Duke, Ayinde, KHH, and even Zo Craighton. We didn't have much depth, we still don't.

I agree with you on all points. Vic was a JUCO All-American which bodes well, but nothing is given. Morgan is now in his 2nd year and has received some praise from Fleck on his progress. On paper, I like those two better than Croft/Rhoda last year.

Johnson broke out last year at WR and showed he can be a solid contributor, and potentially really good. Douglass showed flashes in his few games before injury, and I was really impressed by Bell, who never played. Add in Bateman and I don't know how this group can't be better unless there are injuries.

DB depth is still really shaky. If Winfield returns and is healthy and if Williamson is serviceable, I think we take a step up from last year.

I understand the skepticism, but this is pathetic. Last year was among the hardest seasons I have ever watched with basically 2 or 3 starters on offense ready to play B1G football.
I think our schedule is harder, so I am not predicting even 7 wins, but we will be better by B1G season.
1) QB - we will be better. Rhoda did not fit the offense and Croft was a wild card anytime he was on the field. Vic will be better than the worst QBing (last season) in my history of watching Goph football. I am comfortable with that. I believe Tanner M will develop as a good backup.
2) Unless RSmith has simply forgotten what an actual hole looks like, he will be better, a little play calling help would increase the odds.
3) WR- We will have 5 guys with more talent than anyone who played against Wisconsin. If there is one time you can say this can't get worse, this is it.
4) Oline- we will be better. Greene and Schlueter will be better at tackle, if Schlueter is the starter. The chance for improvement at this position is very good with and
Schlueter being a smart player, and Dickson coming in. Olson will be stronger and hopefuly they start him at Center where he belongs anyway. Weyler does have a history of injuries, but Andries, Dunlap, Schmitz, as well as Oseland and Davis have a chance to play better than we had at the other guard last season.
We won't have a dominant oline, but I think we will be better at least in run blocking.
5) TE We'll be better if we just have 2 guys healthy.

Defense
1) DT- the one place we will probably not be better, but I don't think we will be bad. We have three upper classmen as well as Robinson, Hickox and Teague for depth. That will play even without SRichardson.
2)DE- Still the biggest problem on D, but this year we can at least try to solve the problem by playing guys that fit the situation. Against power teams, I would expect Umlor and Otomewo to start at
DE on first and 2nd downs, with rushing substitutes on 3rd and long. Against passing teams I would expect Winston D to start instead of Umlor on passing downs, with Umlor playing on short yardage downs. I would be thrilled if Carter C never played a down at DE. Let him be a great LB.
3) LB- CC will be terrific as a replacement for Celestin. I expect Barber to improve. We need Martin to recognize plays more consistently, if he can he will be very good. Cashman makes plays consistently, hopefully he is one the field even more.
4) DB- If Winfield is healthy, we are better period. I expect improvement at all 4 positions. Winfield and Huff should be good. We need a bigger safety against power teams, I don't know who that will be yet. Maybe Swenson can improve enough to fill that role. A run stopping Safety is the biggest hole I see on the D at this point we'll see what happens there. I expect Thomas to improve, and somewhere between Williamson, Shenault, Durr, Estes, and Beck we can find four guys who can play B1G CB well.
Despite the youth at DE, I am hopeful we can at least put a lineup out there physical enough to keep power teams from just pounding it down our throats. Last season MSU could have won that game without a single pass. That should be our first objective, at least force power teams to pass.

Top Bottom