Ruh, roh Shaggy

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Alabama, Kentucky, and Xavier come on down, you're the next contestants. ...

Trouble with NCAA? I only saw something about Xavier and not bama and Kentucky

Kentucky? Doesn't surprise me one bit. If its a firing offense, won't this be Calipari's 3rd job he got fired from or left, where he left the program behind to deal with NCAA sanctions?

This is fascinating. I see Isaiah Whitehead received $26,000...we were one of his finalists.

Go Gophers!!

USC, South Carolina, NC State, Seton Hall, Maryland, Kentucky, Texas, Utah, Xavier, Wichita St, Clemson, Kansas, and Michigan St are the ones that could be in real trouble. Especially those first six, because according to the documents they all either had multiple players receive money or the amounts were well into the thousands of dollars.

Some of the amounts are kind of puzzling. Why give Tim Quarterman $16k?

Also found it very interesting that there were meetings with both Tom Izzo and the Villanova coaches listed in the documents.

This is fascinating. I see Isaiah Whitehead received $26,000...we were one of his finalists.

Go Gophers!!

We were clearly outbid!

Goes to show what it takes to get a 5-star player. Play dirty or don't play.

I’m not sure how this implicates schools or coaches. Seems to be agents loaning almost certain draft picks some cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not sure how this implicates schools or coaches. Seems to be agents loaning almost certain draft picks some cash.

I completely understand your point, but guilt by association. So far Izzo only coach specifically mentioned for meeting with the guy. He needs to address that immediately. If there's a valid reason, let's hear it.

DJ Newbill on that list too...played for Penn State.

Lots of wins will be vacated because of this. That will teach 'em. :rolleyes:

They should have just paid some regular students too, then the NCAA would just wait 8 years and announce there won't be any penalties.

I completely understand your point, but guilt by association. So far Izzo only coach specifically mentioned for meeting with the guy. He needs to address that immediately. If there's a valid reason, let's hear it.

Yeah I’m with you. I think it raises legit questions about specific programs but this isn’t the death warrant.

The Reggie bush precedent seems like it could apply to some of these cases (37k loan) others seem less severe.

Izzo can't survive the assault scandal and now his best player is named in this latest report, can he? Never judge a book by its cover.

The NCAA won't punish anyone. They will say the whole system is crooked, grant everyone amnesty, implement some changes, and claim to have a zero tolerance policy going forward. Nothing will happen to anyone. Little will change.

Burn the NCAA down.

The NCAA won't punish anyone. They will say the whole system is crooked, grant everyone amnesty, implement some changes, and claim to have a zero tolerance policy going forward. Nothing will happen to anyone. Little will change.

Burn the NCAA down.

Agree. After NC getting no penalty for their academic scandal, I don't trust the NCAA to get anything right.

This is a key point. It's possible if not likely that, unlike Louisville, some of these programs have considerable compartmentalization and plausible deniability that buffers their programs from the agents and handlers. It could take quite a process and quite amount of time to get through all the layers of the onion, and it might involve plea deals to get people talking. Emmert's tough talk notwithstanding, I still think the NCAA wishes this would just blow over, and I wouldn't put it past them to slow play this til it evaporates or coaches decide to retire.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...n-reveals-basketball-powers-broken-ncaa-rules

"Schools identified by Yahoo! as having players who possibly violated NCAA rules include Duke, North Carolina, Texas, Kentucky, Michigan State, USC and Kansas. At least 25 players are linked to impermissible benefits, including Michigan State's Miles Bridges, Alabama's Collin Sexton and Duke's Wendell Carter."

ESPN and Yahoo both lead their stories with big names (Duke and UNC), but unless there is a lot more than the documents they have shared both Duke and UNC won't even get in trouble and all their players will still be eligible.

Here are the only other times those two schools are mentioned:

UNC: Former UNC player Tony Bradley had a meal with Dawkins

Duke: The mother of current player Wendell Carter Jr had a meal with Dawkins at Longhorn Steakhouse of which Dawkins expensed $106

In situations like those the remedy is usually a short suspension and a charitable donation equal to the amount of benefit that was received.

If wiretaps come out, hearing it won't be good news for a bubble team from the Pac 12. This is just getting started. This might be a NCAA Tournament like no other!

Burn the NCAA down.

If that's what happens then we should immediately put the final four banner up and claim the wins previously vacated.

If that's what happens then we should immediately put the final four banner up and claim the wins previously vacated.

I say we put banners up for random years that we didn't accomplish anything. Why not? It's like Mitch Hedberg said: I used to play sports until I found out you can buy trophies at the store. Now I'm good at everything.

Izzo will need to make a statement very soon, perhaps by the end of the day. This isn't like the OTL report, he will need to address his meeting with Dawkins. He can't let this one linger. Ditto for Jay Wright, though he wasn't specifically implicated like Izzo. "Villanova coaches" were.

Diamond Stone who picked Maryland over Sconnie was named...

Izzo will need to make a statement very soon, perhaps by the end of the day. This isn't like the OTL report, he will need to address his meeting with Dawkins. He can't let this one linger. Ditto for Jay Wright, though he wasn't specifically implicated like Izzo. "Villanova coaches" were.

Agree. There are legitimate reasons for a coach to meet with an agent, but he needs to at least make a statement soon.

Even a UVa player is named. The only name I recognized ever being attached to the Gophers is Whitehead.

Top Bottom