Ruh, roh Shaggy

ESPN and Yahoo both lead their stories with big names (Duke and UNC), but unless there is a lot more than the documents they have shared both Duke and UNC won't even get in trouble and all their players will still be eligible.

Here are the only other times those two schools are mentioned:

UNC: Former UNC player Tony Bradley had a meal with Dawkins

Duke: The mother of current player Wendell Carter Jr had a meal with Dawkins at Longhorn Steakhouse of which Dawkins expensed $106

In situations like those the remedy is usually a short suspension and a charitable donation equal to the amount of benefit that was received.

Anything under $200 won't affect eligibility per NCAA rule 16.01.1.1 so long as the benefit is repaid to a charity of the student-athlete's choice.

The NCAA won't punish anyone. They will say the whole system is crooked, grant everyone amnesty, implement some changes, and claim to have a zero tolerance policy going forward. Nothing will happen to anyone. Little will change.

Burn the NCAA down.

You're right. This is a mess that goes beyond just the schools. I said when the FBI thing became public that we were seeing the end of college basketball as we know it. The NCAA is in a no win spot here. If they punish severely the top brands, they risk people not paying attention. If they punish no one, they risk losing the last bit of credibility they have. I still think we'll see the whole thing split into some version of the Power 5 who will play with basically no rules, and then the rest who will treat college athletics as part of a real education. Little money in that, but at least they maintain their dignity.

You're right. This is a mess that goes beyond just the schools. I said when the FBI thing became public that we were seeing the end of college basketball as we know it. The NCAA is in a no win spot here. If they punish severely the top brands, they risk people not paying attention. If they punish no one, they risk losing the last bit of credibility they have. I still think we'll see the whole thing split into some version of the Power 5 who will play with basically no rules, and then the rest who will treat college athletics as part of a real education. Little money in that, but at least they maintain their dignity.

I agree it's a tough situation, but to the bold, I say "so what?" Why does the NCAA care? If they don't punish the programs, they know the fans will still be there. My best guess is they will tighten things moving forward and accept this is a black eye and move on.

Agree. After NC getting no penalty for their academic scandal, I don't trust the NCAA to get anything right.

I agree with this 100%. After UNC basically got nothing for their academic scandal, I am convinced nothing will probably happen, especially to the blue bloods until I see otherwise.

Izzo will need to make a statement very soon, perhaps by the end of the day. This isn't like the OTL report, he will need to address his meeting with Dawkins. He can't let this one linger. Ditto for Jay Wright, though he wasn't specifically implicated like Izzo. "Villanova coaches" were.

Nothing he’d say would be of substance anyway. Coaches just spew cliches and self interested denials of knowledge in situations like this, whether there is any wrongdoing or not.

What really burns me is how MSU seems to be protecting Izzo and Dantonio at all costs. Firing the president or AD doesn’t affect the two sports we all care about. It’s not a level playing field in that respect — at a school like MN those two never would have survived the last year. That is one reason MN has a hard time in big time college sports...too moral compared to our competitors.

The way things go at Minnesota I was just surprised the Gophers weren't named. I half expected us to be in trouble for giving money to Royce White or something.

Not everyone named will be guilty. This is one slimeballs expense account where he flat out lies about who he had dinner with so he could write it off. He actually names a players mom about a dinner she never even had ! There will be some who are guilty of interfacing with this scum.

The way things go at Minnesota I was just surprised the Gophers weren't named. I half expected us to be in trouble for giving money to Royce White or something.

If we're paying players or cheating to get ahead, we're amazingly terrible at it.

I wouldn't celebrate too quickly, this is just one agent/agency and one shoe company (thus far). I'm guessing that there's more doing the same or Izzo, Duke, UNC, Nova aren't going to be giving this guy the time of day. Also, there's likely to be more information on the other shoe companies as well...there's no way that only one of them was playing the game. Very likely that the NCAA is the one that ends up looking foolish, therefore they won't do anything except new regulations. They don't want to expose the underbelly of big time hoops and football, wouldn't look good. Unfortunately for them, the FBI is involved and continues turning up dirt.

Knowing our luck the NCAA will reprimand all schools who weren't implicated because the non-offending schools were too silent in the matter. [emoji33]

Give it time. The MN sports gods wait until you get your hopes up.

Knowing our luck the NCAA will reprimand all schools who weren't implicated because the non-offending schools were too silent in the matter. [emoji33]

Minnesota recruited some of the same players and knew or should have known what Michigan State was doing. Therefore, they will be assessed the same penalty.

Minnesota recruited some of the same players and knew or should have known what Michigan State was doing. Therefore, they will be assessed the same penalty.
[emoji106] Exactly. It would be our luck.

The NCAA won't punish anyone. They will say the whole system is crooked, grant everyone amnesty, implement some changes, and claim to have a zero tolerance policy going forward. Nothing will happen to anyone. Little will change.

Burn the NCAA down.
I would add that Mark Emmert will arrogantly pontificate about the importance of cleaning up college athletics. And being the hypocritical gas bag he truly is, he'll think people actually believe the pile of garbage he spews. And then, it'll be back to business as usual.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I agree with this 100%. After UNC basically got nothing for their academic scandal, I am convinced nothing will probably happen, especially to the blue bloods until I see otherwise.

The only result will be that Cleveland State gets put on probation again.

I think it was Gary Parrish wrote an article either yesterday or today at CBSsports where he says the only solution that will work is to basically dump the idea of amateurism in college sports. Let them retain agents, let boosters and businesses pay to get players to go to their favorite schools, etc.. Points out how nothing will change, the same schools will win and the same schools will lose, the only difference is that the athletes themselves will gain and the amount of illegal activity will drop significantly as it will all be out in the open. And if this doesn't happen, this issue will never go away, it will only get worse, not matter what the NCAA and/or FBI do about it. And is this really what we want the FBI spending all of their time doing, policing college sports?

This could solve a ton of problems/issues. UMn's got a big enough alumni base and lots of companies with lots of money, maybe this would help level the playing field for us?! If it didn't help us in football, it would help big time in hockey. Cbb? Not sure?

And I really do not like Parrish, I think he's an idiot, but I hate to admit, on this issue, I think he's right.

He points out how the Olympics did away with the amateurism thing and its working fine for the Olympics.

And honestly, I think the P5 schools could break away and do just this, and the NCAA could try to keep the rest of the schools out there to stick to the amateurism model, maybe?

I would add that Mark Emmert will arrogantly pontificate about the importance of cleaning up college athletics. And being the hypocritical gas bag he truly is, he'll think people actually believe the pile of garbage he spews. And then, it'll be back to business as usual.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I'll be waiting for someone to declare that it's time to move on.

I believe the NCAA would go so far as to cover these types of things up so as to not upset the order of things, and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they have been covering things up. One way or another, they didn't count on a law enforcement action to upset their apple cart. If they could make the FBI go away, they would.

I'll be waiting for someone to declare that it's time to move on.

I believe the NCAA would go so far as to cover these types of things up so as to not upset the order of things, and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they have been covering things up. One way or another, they didn't count on a law enforcement action to upset their apple cart. If they could make the FBI go away, they would.

And why the P5 schools need to break away from the NCAA. Only issue will be that in some sports, cbb especially, that would leave a lot of really good programs on the outside looking in. The Big East, the AAC, Atl 10 each have some schools that would either need to make decisions about moving into a P5 conference, or opting to, I don't know, rule over what was left over?

The system is prone to cheating and always has been. If you believe the stories, the great Gopher Football teams of Bierman were shady as heck, as was Wooden's UCLA juggernaut. We know what Gopher basketball was punished for because of Musselman, but there's no way Dutcher's program wasn't dirty as hell, pulling in all the great players from Michigan. That was never investigated because his program blew up for other reasons. Im just not sure there's a way to fix this. It's too big and tangly.

I wouldn't celebrate too quickly, this is just one agent/agency and one shoe company (thus far). I'm guessing that there's more doing the same or Izzo, Duke, UNC, Nova aren't going to be giving this guy the time of day. Also, there's likely to be more information on the other shoe companies as well...there's no way that only one of them was playing the game. Very likely that the NCAA is the one that ends up looking foolish, therefore they won't do anything except new regulations. They don't want to expose the underbelly of big time hoops and football, wouldn't look good. Unfortunately for them, the FBI is involved and continues turning up dirt.

Agree completely that the non mention of the gophers doesn't mean much at this point. If one agency is handing out cash, they all are. Richard Pitino's "this is hard" quotes in the strib were very interesting. I would have preferred something more definitive on the gopher's "cleanliness." Also, Pitino has been enmeshed personally and professionally in L-ville for years. My guess is that six months from now there will be close to 100 programs on the list and it will include the gophers.
I don't think there is a clean D1 program in the country and there shouldn't be. It's time for the NCAA to get real and put the players directly in the flow of capital. This sneaky stuff is nonsensical.

Agree completely that the non mention of the gophers doesn't mean much at this point. If one agency is handing out cash, they all are. Richard Pitino's "this is hard" quotes in the strib were very interesting. I would have preferred something more definitive on the gopher's "cleanliness." Also, Pitino has been enmeshed personally and professionally in L-ville for years. My guess is that six months from now there will be close to 100 programs on the list and it will include the gophers.
I don't think there is a clean D1 program in the country and there shouldn't be. It's time for the NCAA to get real and put the players directly in the flow of capital. This sneaky stuff is nonsensical.

I personally don't see paying players as a panacea. You'll still have cheating. If you're allowed to pay them x, the cheaters will secretly pay them 2x.

I personally don't see paying players as a panacea. You'll still have cheating. If you're allowed to pay them x, the cheaters will secretly pay them 2x.

It’s definitely not a panacea but at least it begins to recognize the obvious and it drops the pretense of amateurism and that the players are primarily students. That’s DII and DIII stuff.

My understanding is the term “student athlete” was coined to allow the NCAA and the universities to avoid worker’s comp claims.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s definitely not a panacea but at least it begins to recognize the obvious and it drops the pretense of amateurism and that the players are primarily students. That’s DII and DIII stuff.

My understanding is the term “student athlete” was coined to allow the NCAA and the universities to avoid worker’s comp claims.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been on board with the general concept of paying work-study rates for the time spent practicing and playing. That feels just to me and at least reduces the temptation for cash-poor athletes to accept dirty money.

Schools won't be the ones paying the players. Or at least not when it comes to unrestricted dollars. I like the idea of paying all players work study rates for their time practicing. But Businesses and Boosters and Agents will be doling out the big unlimited benefits. Highest bidders will probably win the recruiting battles, but it will all be out in the open, and no restrictions, so they won't be allowed "to pay them X", they will be allowed to pay them however much as they are willing to pay them, so the best players will get paid the most.

With over 300 D1 programs, and nearly 100 in the top few conferences, most players are student-athletes. There are only a handful that will be making big money in the NBA or overseas for a career. Just look at three Bug Ten programs bordering one another, MN, IA, WI... there aren’t any for sure NBA players on any of the three teams.

I’m all for paying work study rates as they can’t do work study with their time commitment to basketball, but that will be replicated across other sports due to Title. There are limited programs who can really do this. The idea that these kids are all going pro that there is some narrative about is ridiculous, as in reality there are few that do. I think they need to get rid of one and done, so something like baseball where kids have to stay in school three years and let those who aren’t interested in college and believe they are ready go directly to NBA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom